UCLA vs. Mayo Clinic (MN) vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneTougherCookie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, a currently undecided student who currently has a "very good problem" in that I'm mulling over several great choices. I'm absolutely stunned to be in this kind of situation, but am having trouble objectively comparing these different opportunities and wanted to get some outside perspectives.

For some background, I'm originally raised in the Northeast, and plan to specialize in Psychiatry (with a specific focus on pediatric/adolescent psych). Have a big interest in health policy/interdisciplinary work as well. Also identify as queer which is relevant for some of the school decisions.

Mayo Clinic (MN)- 90% of Tuition Scholarship
Pros
  • It's Mayo Clinic: Hard to argue with the name recognition and I know it (debateably) carries more weight than UCLA or Cornell.
  • Arguably best resources offered among these programs (small class, nation's best clinic, etc.)
  • Very solid financial aid package, only need to pay for CoL + 10% of tuition (estimating I end up with ~$120k in debt)

Cons
  • Rochester: The weather is a pain but so is life. I'm more concerned about the social opportunities (especially opportunities to meet other queer people) in Rochester and don't like the idea of having to drive 90 min to Minneapolis to find something more engaging. Also seems extremely tough as someone who's single, with a limited dating scene (especially for queer people).
  • It's only doctors: Mayo's great in that it's got some of the best medical training programs, but it seems like all the resources are centered around medicine. There's no other graduate schools that aren't directly tied to medicine and I feel like it'll be isolating to just be surrounded by people in the same field.
  • Non-medicine opportunities: I've got a big interest in health policy/advocacy and it seems like Rochester doesn't really offer a lot of additional opportunities in non-medical fields. True, I could drive up to Minnesota if I wanted to do stuff in the state house, but it doesn't appear to have the same cross-disciplinary resources as other programs.

UCLA- Full Tuition Scholarship + ~1/3 CoL covered by additional aid
Pros
  • Los Angeles: Obviously tons to do as a young person in the city, with tons of resources at my fingertips. Also the gorgeous weather is a nice plus.
  • More cross-disciplinary stuff: It seems like it's easier to get outside of the medicine bubble at UCLA and it's even got a center dedicated to LGBTQ+ policy (one of the areas I've specialized in as a student).
  • Better Area as a Queer Person: Mayo Clinic did not seem hostile by any means, but it definitely seems like Rochester being a small town puts a damper on the opportunities to engage with other queer folx. Much less of a problem at UCLA.
  • Better FA package: Even with the higher CoL, UCLA gave me a better package overall (full tuition scholarship + extra need-based aid). Based on my estimates, it'd be ~$25k less debt than Mayo. Obviously not an astronomical difference in cost but still notable (especially as I want to go into a lower-paying specialty).

Cons
  • Just a bit less name recognition: UCLA is highly ranked, but it's hard to not feel like I'm turning down a "Once In A Lifetime Opportunity" when looking away from Mayo Clinic. It may seem petty, but it's one of the biggest barriers for me.
  • Having to own a car: Having to own a car as a medical student is something I've dreaded and it's pretty much mandatory at UCLA.
  • Much Higher CoL: Granted this is well-mitigated by the better FA offer I got from UCLA, but there's obviously more pressure to save money and harder to live frugally in LA.

Cornell- No FA info yet
Pros
  • NYC: Absolutely love the city and its resources, has the added bonus of not ever needing a car. Housing is also managed by the university which is a nice thing to not have to worry about. Would be closer to my friends/social network as they're based on the east coast.
    • NYC will also be a great place to do stuff in policy/advocacy work.
  • Vibes: I really connected with Cornell during my interview and its commitment to social justice was one of the strongest I saw. I've really connected with it overall and have had an easy time envisioning myself there.
  • Great Area as a Queer Person: Similar advantage to UCLA + I already know several queer folx in the city. Cornell also stood out because they were the only institution I saw which had a queer-specific student-run clinic. As someone who wants to go into LGBTQ+ health, this is a big draw.

Cons
  • Name Recognition: Cornell seems to have the weakest name recognition of the 3, which seems weird considering its placement in NYC and its connections to pretigious programs (ie. Sloan-Kettering, NY Presbyterian). I don't feel like having "Cornell" rather than "Mayo/UCLA" is going to get my residency application tossed out or anything, but it's hard to shake off the feeling of "downgrading" when compared to the other programs.
  • FA Package: Currently don't have one, but get the feeling that the package might end up around the same cost as Mayo Clinic (or higher). If it's going to be significantly more expensive than the other programs that might be a deal breaker, but if it's in the same range as the others it would be a tough choice.
  • Rose-Tinted Glasses: Cornell was one of my favorites during the interview process, but I've seen a lot of inconsistent reads on the happiness of their students/institutional culture. Worried that I might be misevaluating them because of a positive first interaction which wasn't representative.

TLDR: Mulling over price of attendance, slight differences in prestige, as well as concerns about accessibility/social scene as a queer person. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any idea where you want to live long-term? If you want to go back to the Northeast, Mayo is the better bet here. I also know quite a few students who spent time away from Rochester using selectives, so you aren’t stuck there all the time.

However, if you are even considering moving to the West permanently, UCLA certainly has the edge.

Reactions: 1 user
My background: Queer person who grew up in the Midwest (near Mayo), went to a T10 med school.

Given what you've written, I would choose UCLA. You want multi-disciplinary, you want a cultured city as a queer person, and you want a good education. You also want to go into psych---and the psych residency at UCLA (and Cornell) is top notch, meaning faculty who could write you good letters of rec. You won't be hindered.

It sounds like your gut also liked Cornell, I would choose here second, based on the financial aid.

Obviously Mayo wouldn't close any doors, but it sounds like it's not the best fit for you.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Do you have any idea where you want to live long-term? If you want to go back to the Northeast, Mayo is the better bet here. I also know quite a few students who spent time away from Rochester using selectives, so you aren’t stuck there all the time.

However, if you are even considering moving to the West permanently, UCLA certainly has the edge.
That's a good question. I've always envisioned myself on the East Coast, but it's hard to say that hasn't been influenced by growing up here. While I'm not sure LA is a place I'd want to live permanently, I have wondered about possibly making a place like Seattle a permanent home. I think time out west would really convince me of whether it's worth settling there or the East Coast is a better permanent fit, granted it seems a bit self-defeating to move out west only to figure out it's not for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
My background: Queer person who grew up in the Midwest (near Mayo), went to a T10 med school.

Given what you've written, I would choose UCLA. You want multi-disciplinary, you want a cultured city as a queer person, and you want a good education. You also want to go into psych---and the psych residency at UCLA (and Cornell) is top notch, meaning faculty who could write you good letters of rec. You won't be hindered.

It sounds like your gut also liked Cornell, I would choose here second, based on the financial aid.

Obviously Mayo wouldn't close any doors, but it sounds like it's not the best fit for you.
I really appreciate the insights! I've definitely been wondering about my fit with Mayo, especially since I feel like I could be ignoring a golden opportunity just because the vibes in a crappy Zoom call weren't 100%. I guess I'm having a run-in between what the "med student" part of me wants to do (go to a top program) vs. what the "human" side of me wants to do (have outside opportunities which fulfill me away from school). Especially as someone who wants to have med school be the home of a lot of big decisions (ie. Figuring out where I'd want to live permanently, forging fundamental aspects of my future life path), I can definitely see the need to look beyond the name.

Between UCLA and Mayo, I'd go with UCLA. I don't think there's a difference in reputation (note many people choose UCLA Geffen which is close to what you got over Harvard). It's a little different because your alternative of Mayo is offering a lot of aid, but you'll get a great medical education with enough prestige coming from either. I'd choose the next biggest thing, the location, and LA is much, much better for you if you're LGBT.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
This is such a clear easy win for UCLA. It's very prestigious, better location, cheaper. Go there.

Reactions: 2 users
I really appreciate the insights! I've definitely been wondering about my fit with Mayo, especially since I feel like I could be ignoring a golden opportunity just because the vibes in a crappy Zoom call weren't 100%. I guess I'm having a run-in between what the "med student" part of me wants to do (go to a top program) vs. what the "human" side of me wants to do (have outside opportunities which fulfill me away from school). Especially as someone who wants to have med school be the home of a lot of big decisions (ie. Figuring out where I'd want to live permanently, forging fundamental aspects of my future life path), I can definitely see the need to look beyond the name.
The schools are all high quality. I'd let the "human side" (as you noted) have a strong say here. UCLA is an outstanding school, and very nice part of LA, and will probably suit you well. COL is high but with your 1/3 aid, it will bring it more in line with Mayo. (Cornell COL is high too). I'd go with UCLA based on your situation/needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t go to Mayo just because it’s Mayo. If you don’t want to be in Rochester, 4 years there will be tough. I would personally pick Cornell. Once you start med school, no one cares about the perceived prestige. This is coming from someone who attends a T5.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I'll just put in a plug for Cornell even though people seem to lean toward UCLA here. From what you described, assuming the aid ends up being similar, it sounds like you'd be really happy at Cornell. They have the Qlinic, which sounds like something you're passionate about, they have one of the top psychiatry programs in the country, NYC is an amazing city to live in, especially with all the LGBTQ+ culture here, your friends are here, and you really liked your interview and the vibe. Also you'd get to be classmates with yours truly :soexcited:
But seriously, everyone I've talked to says do NOT pick based on tiny prestige differences (we're not talking T20 vs T100 here, we're talking about 3 T20 schools), pick where you'd be happiest and most likely to thrive. I'm personally picking Cornell over a more "prestigious" school because I know it's the right fit for me. The right fit for you might end up being UCLA, but in the end go with your gut!

Reactions: 2 users
UCLA seems to fit better.
Politically and socially progressive city, great public medical education
Also, neither Mayo or Cornell is more prestigious than UCLA
Don't underestimate California weather but the cost of living is ridiculous no doubt, especially those hipster brunch places :(.
I once paid $16 for some stupid avocado on toast during my visit there

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I am a gay man and, personally, could never, ever live in a place like Rochester, MN. It is simply too small to have the type of vibrant queer community I need. Also, that weather is insane. For me, the Mayo name, which I do not see as being better than UCLA/Cornell, cannot overcome these issues. But, I recognize that my priorities may differ from yours. Congratulations on the wonderful options.

Three incredible choices, but would eliminate Mayo from what you’ve expressed. I love travel and new places, so my default answer given similar choices is go to the new interesting area, in this case UCLA. Someone gives you a chance to explore a new world, take it!

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Congrats @OneTougherCookie on your excellent choices! I'd agree with alot of what was shared before. As far as prestige goes, I don't think that's what should draw you to Mayo -- especially in light of the other choices. However, the incredible amount of resources available per student is probably a unique feature.

I can't speak to UCLA and Cornell but I can address some of your Mayo concerns.

1. You can do as much health policy/advocacy as you please. The Mayo name carries weight across the state, and with so few medical students medical societies are eager to have you join/lead advocacy initiatives. Health policy/advocacy is where I spend most of my time outside of studying.

2. Rochester social scene: Opinions really vary on this one. Some lament the dating scene while others thrive in it. The former tend to go to MSP more often. At least one person in your class will be heading to MSP each weekend. It's a pretty easy drive (straight, open road with no state troopers).

3. You do have to work a little bit to get outside the Mayo "bubble", but believe it or not, there's a community in Rochester that's proudly unaffiliated with Mayo. While there may not be any graduate programs that aren't in STEM, you'll find that the Mayo community has a rich variety of interests unrelated to medicine. Improv, sports, humanities, music, etc. Even more, with nearly 6 months of selective time, you are by no means limited to the Rochester campus. Take advantage of the "national medical school" feature. The school pays us to visit AZ and FL for selectives and clerkships (once travel resumes).

TLDR: Your cons for Mayo aren't nearly as severe as you might think. That said, if the queer social scene is particularly important to you then UCLA or Cornell might be better fits (Cornell in particular if your financial aid package is competitive). Happy to connect you with some of my classmates who could speak more to being queer and single at Mayo.

P.S. You might be able to snag a full-tuition scholarship at Mayo if you ask.

Last edited: