UCLA vs. Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you recommend?

• UCLA

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Mt. Sinai

Votes: 46 47.4%

• Total voters

mscs2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm in the lucky position of having to choose between great schools, but am having a lot of trouble deciding. My thoughts on each school are below. I'm currently interested in surgery, though that could certainly change. I'm also hoping to end up on the east coast eventually, and am a non-trad. Money is relevant but will not be the ultimate decision-maker for me.

Mt. Sinai
Pros:
Awesome location in NYC, decent housing (though I'll be married so the choices aren't quite as cheap)
Good hospital system for rotations, varied patient population
Student body seems extremely happy
Near family on east coast (some of whom are elderly that I'm close with)
Flexible exam times which help with visiting said family
Fiancee can probably find a good job more easily in NY than LA

Cons:
Not a super recognizable name outside NYC (not sure if this is really true?)
The school seems fixated on health disparities and social activism. No problem with them doing this, but it feels like it might become overwhelming/stifling to be surrounded by
Expensive (~45k per year just tuition, then NYC prices for living)
Locked into school housing or tiny tiny apartments

UCLA
Pros:
Amazing weather (no winter!)
Brand new med school building, curriculum with selectives I'm very interested in
Much cheaper: ~33k per year + cheaper housing than NYC
Reagan hospital is apparently an incredible place for rotations
More "prestigious" (maybe? not really sure)

Cons:
Very far from family
Young student body (average matriculant age was 23, I recall?)
Seems to match almost entirely west coast (though this is probably due to student preference)
85% California residents. Not being from California myself, I'm worried this would be an odd situation/maybe difficult socially

I'm sure I could go on about both places. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't tell you what school you should like better, but I will offer some thoughts that came to mind.

Foremost, you can match anywhere from either of these schools. It depends on how diligent you are in your next 4 years of education. People from "low tier" schools match into competitive residencies all the time. That said, certain schools bring better resources/ connections to the table when it comes to match time. You mentioned that you ultimately want to either stay or return to the east coast; going to Mt. Sinai will give you an excellent opportunity to match in NYC. I'm sure you'll be able to do research and 4th year rotations at the other academic centers of the city. Likewise, UCLA matches on the west coast much do to student preference, but also because of similar connections and rotation opportunities.

I think you are wrong about the prestige of Mt. Sinai; while it is not a significant name to laymen outside of the northeast, but it is a very recognizable and prestigious name within medicine. I think both of these schools are of similar prestige within medicine. It sounds like Mt. Sinai is just a better fit for you, but if you want the beautiful weather, west LA lifestyle, Reagan Medical center and the beautiful new building than no one can blame you.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I would prefer UCLA. Like you said, great location, amazing school. I am a West coast boy at heart though. And I find the concrete jungle stifling

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the vote with grain of salt with all the waitlist people and people who vote without reading. That being said, both are great school and fantastic options so it's tough to decide, i'd say UCLA has slightly better prestige but they are on same tier. You could probably match anywhere regardless which one you go to but I've heard that it is easier/harder to match east or west depending on the school location (not just preference) due to connections etc., so that's something to consider since you want to be in east coast long-term. It also seems like Mt.Sinai will be slightly better fit for you with better support structure which will help you tremendously next 4 years. California has nice weather but I think you'll be happier staying near your family and fiance with better job prospects.

The only real negative will be the cost and you'll have to decide whether it'll be worth it for the increased likelihood of matching east-coast, being close to your family (w/ better social support structure which can help you be more happy and probably help you succeed better in medical school), and SO's better prospect of getting a better job. I'd say it's worth it and would go with Mt. Sinai.

You said money's not really an issue, and even though it's a big issue to me, that means that UCLA doesn't really have an edge there. In terms of reputation, UCLA probably has a slightly better reputation. However, both schools are great and you can match on the east or west.

That being said, you said that you wanted to match on the east coast, and if you are looking to get into a competitive specialty, it would make sense to go to Sinai, since it's a lot easier to match into your home school's programs. Isn't housing subsidized at Sinai? I understand that you'd be looking at their family housing which isn't as cheap, but there's a good chance that it'd still be cheaper than a place in Westwood. Westwood is not cheap, and I know that the subsidized (single person) housing at the NY schools is actually cheaper than rooms in most Westwood apartments. You could also choose to not live in Westwood, but commuting in LA is a complete pain in the BUTT

You also said that you have a lot of family/support (friends too I'd assume?) on the east coast. I feel like that support is crucial, and you said that your SO would have an easier time finding a job in NYC. Perhaps even a more lucrative job? If she's totally okay with NYC, I'd recommend going to the place where she would be happiest (SO happiness => your happiness).

I am a west coast kid and would totally choose UCLA over Sinai due to the fact that money is important to me and my support network is here. That being said, you are not me, so if I were in your shoes, I would choose Sinai

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the really thoughtful replies, it's been very helpful to read. As I'm looking at the poll I keep wishing that Mt. Sinai were winning, which I think is very illuminative and probably tells what the right decision is for me.

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for the really thoughtful replies, it's been very helpful to read. As I'm looking at the poll I keep wishing that Mt. Sinai were winning, which I think is very illuminative and probably tells what the right decision is for me.
SDN bias, there are too many west coast premeds. California is overrated (and I live here lol). Go with your gut don't let some stupid poll dictate your life.

you cant beat NYC and surgery residencies, by far has some of the best surgical hospitals in the nation, I would suggest doing Mt sinai if your interest is surgery. cant really go wrong

I interviewed at both schools. Without a doubt in my mind, Mt. Sinai. UCLA-- the vibe there is cold and unforgiving (even though the weather is great). You are not exposed to a single REAL patient until your third year; everything is PBL... PBL... PBL. When I walked into Mt. Sinai-- the gates of medicine were open :D As corny as that sounds, it is true. I felt so much pride walking through the halls of and seeing all the doctors with their white-coats on. It feels like you are part of the medical community right off the bat (unlike UCLA that is now making a new medical school... even farther from the actual hospital). Of course, there are pros to going to UCLA-- the research there is BOMB; I will give it that. But if you care about being a warm, well-rounded, effective health CARE provider; go with Mt. Sinai. There is no doubt in my mind they will take care of you there :claps:

UCLA is great, as is Sinai! Congrats! Have you told Sinai about the cost, and how much cheaper it would be at UCLA? I don't think you should undersell the importance of money, but also don't undersell the importance of having a support system, and moreover, being somewhere you enjoy and feel comfortable.

I don't think prestige really matters in this case, since either is a big enough name in medicine to open doors on whatever coast.

Sounds like you've made your decision! This cost differential actually doesn't even seem that significant. Really seems like you'd be happy at Mt. Sinai :)

Reactions: 1 users
you cant beat NYC and surgery residencies, by far has some of the best surgical hospitals in the nation, I would suggest doing Mt sinai if your interest is surgery. cant really go wrong

Ya, if you like wheeling your own patient to surgery, drawing labs, and doing general scut work on top of your resident duties, NYC is awesome.

Don't listen to this person. USNews "Top Hospitals" don't mean good training.

Also, West Coast = Best Coast.