ucla vs northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Selena87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
aside from the potentially cheaper tuition at UCLA (after the first year because i'm oos), what are people's thoughts about these two schools?

Members don't see this ad.

1st year here. UCLA is the best medical school in the world. Message me if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I met a non-trad 1st year at NU who was deciding btwn NU and UCLA. If you give NU admissions a call I'm sure they would connect you with him. The only M1 w kids I believe.

I would go with UCLA for price, location, clinical experience and not as PBL-heavy learning.

UCLA. Stay faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from PBL-based curriculums. Talk about inefficient...

No question. UCLA wins hands down

thanks for replying everyone! i just came back from UCLA's second look. It's a pretty awesome school with a great curriculum. It's pretty heavy PBL wise as well so the schools aren't that different in that sense.

would someone mind commenting on the competitiveness of the two schools in terms of residency placement? I've seen the match lists but i'm never sure how to accurately interpret them.

aside from the potentially cheaper tuition at UCLA (after the first year because i'm oos), what are people's thoughts about these two schools?

Regarding establishing CA residency, if I'm not mistaken, don't you need to work (>20K of income) and pay tax for at least a year, if you want to independently become a resident? I believe California is one of the stricter states on this.

Regarding establishing CA residency, if I'm not mistaken, don't you need to work (>20K of income) and pay tax for at least a year, if you want to independently become a resident? I believe California is one of the stricter states on this.

From what students and faculty at UCLA have told me, students can become a CA resident after just one year. I also remember reading something on the UCLA website about it. No one ever mentioned having a job or paying taxes. I could be wrong though.

From what students and faculty at UCLA have told me, students can become a CA resident after just one year. I also remember reading something on the UCLA website about it. No one ever mentioned having a job or paying taxes. I could be wrong though.

My impression was that simply going to school in CA was insufficient, so I'm not sure how that works. You might want to be sure about this if it's going to be a big part of your decision. That being said, I think a substantial number of people would choose to attend UCLA even if CoA was the same.

my brother is graduating from geffen and I go to feinberg. whichever you feel more comfy at. both have about equal pbl and both have strong residency reputations. both are in nice areas of their respective cities.

thanks for replying everyone! i just came back from UCLA's second look. It's a pretty awesome school with a great curriculum. It's pretty heavy PBL wise as well so the schools aren't that different in that sense.

would someone mind commenting on the competitiveness of the two schools in terms of residency placement? I've seen the match lists but i'm never sure how to accurately interpret them.
in terms of placement/prestige its basically a wash with regional bias. Obviously a lot more CA from UCLA and a lot more east/midwest in NW. As far as all that goes i doesnt matter much between these schools. Both are top 20 or however you want to quantify it. If it were me id go to the cheaper one. also note that UCLA with the UC budget crisis and impending tution hikes may not be that much cheaper as an IS. IS budget is about 210k for 4 years. thats very high for a "state" school...which is :( as im a cali resident and thats my "break" lol.

I met a non-trad 1st year at NU who was deciding btwn NU and UCLA. If you give NU admissions a call I'm sure they would connect you with him. The only M1 w kids I believe.

false on the kids account

i volunteer at the uci med center with a doc that graduated northwestern med and he claims he chose to go there over ucla... and when i asked him if he had any regrets and would he make the same decision again, he said he had no regrets and would make the same decision again in a heartbeat. i really didnt get into further details because those two schools arent even an option for me. and i understand that my post is very vague, and i agree with the rest of the crowd here and would go to ucla in a heartbeat over northwestern, but i just thought i should share an instance where someone had the same decision as you, and was happy with his decision to go to northwestern.

congrats on both. i would choose ucla. good luck :luck::luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.