ucla vs u conn vs columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

adidas

hey people....i got accepted to ucla, u conn, and columbia....i was just wondering which one is a better school. feedbacks would be great...thank! oh ya...i know how animal wants to burn down columbia..wow..is it really that bad?

Members don't see this ad.

Statiscally for now, UConn > Columbia > UCLA
I have heard that both UCLA and Columbia treat their dental students as second class, I am not attending the schools there so I wouldn't know but at UConn, professor and both dental and med students treat each other as colleagues which make people more comfortable in the environment there. Anything else....?? hmmm.... UConn is ranked first this year... they finally kicked Harvard's butt. =)

Hello there
I'm new to this forum.

Columbia and Temple are the two left on my list after I narrowed my choices down.
Now, I have to decide one of the two.
Columbia seems like a better choice as I'm somewhat still unsure whether I'll want to go into specialty or research later in my dental education. That would naturally be the choice. Plus its reputation, it's an Ivy Leaguer, come on!

Though I have read some negative comments about Columbia in the last few posts. That changed little about my decision to attend Columbia. Besides, even if Columbia's bad neighborhood is an issue, it doesn't beat the infamous Temple school of dentistry campus surrounding.

Now this is what I missed while I was at their interviews...
how are the grading system for the two schools? P/F or letter grades?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, You can't really compare both temple and columbia. One is a clinical base and the other being academic. If you want to be a GP then temple would be a good school because they will throw you patients contiuously, however if you want to specialize, columbia would be a better choice (very competitive tho)

yeah actually that's how I narrowed my choices down.
One being a good choice for becoming a GP, while the other has better chances for specialty.

"competitive" you mean competition between the classmates or just coming out from Columbia in general?

I would rather hate to attend a class where students would try to compete against each other. That's exactly the reason why I asked if the school gives out P/F or letter grades, as letter grades serves as a basis for ranking students in his/her class.

hey maybe I'll see you there, Doggie.

Badabing......badaboom (sorry...just had to do that
biggrin.gif
)

I am not too sure about temple or uconn, but I do know for a fact that Columbia uses letter grades. This is actually very strange..... For the first 2 years at Columbia, the dental and med students will be attending practically the same classes. However, med students will be graded on a P/F basis.......guess the med students cant really hang with us dental students....hehe.....jk (take it easy there, MEAT...just making a wise-crack)

People are right about Columbia being a good school for specializing. It's not called School of Dental and Oral Surgery for nothing. I look forward to seeing you there in august.

BTW, have you received the academic calendar from columbia yet? I dont even know when school starts! I sent in my application for housing a few weeks ago too...but still havent heard back from them. What about financial aid award letters? What's the deal??
confused.gif

Just my 2 cents....(not calculated to current market fluctuations)

hey Doggie,

I received a sheet of paper about UAH and URH near the CPMC. There were also 6 address labels which I filled out and sent back. In less than 2 weeks, a letter came that just says my address labels have been received. These housing applications start in May?

I actually missed the deadline Feb. 23rd for the financial aid papers as required by Columbia. But I still filled them out, as well as FAFSA, even tho I know they're way past their deadlines.

Nope, no academic calendar yet. I am sure they will let us know about it soon enough. But I would like it more if they had all these things planned out in a more organized way.
rolleyes.gif

Let us the future classmates know about any updates, and let's hope we can clear all these little tasks out of the way before the summer begins!
cool.gif

Badaboooooooooom!

Columbia was late to send me my acceptance letter as well. They were late by 2 weeks. Let's put it this way....I received my financial aide package way beofre I knew I was accepted into school..........sheesh.

I wish we can get our academic calendar soon. It's kinda funny how whenever my friends asks when school starts and I'd reply, "I dont know."
biggrin.gif
Anyhow, if any of you columbia bound peeps know of any new information, please post it on the board!
smile.gif

hey fellow CU SDOS DDS Class of 2005,

I just went to my mailbox and found this "Enrollment Issues" from Admission Director Watts today.

It says something about second deposits, 500 bux, and important dates, financial aid, health requirement, etc...
I'm sure everyone in class of 2005 is getting this letter this week.

So the orientation starts on August 21st, and skool starts on August 27th.

aye, so it's sure now, August 21st we meet!
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by badaboom (edited April 11, 2001).]

Thanks for the info!

August 21.... dental school is such a catch 22 for me. I am really looking forward to first day of class and yet, i am so afraid of attending cuz it will be so hard. but anyways.....we best be kicking some ass!

That means i have a full 4.5 months to travel, party, etc.
biggrin.gif

See you CU SDOS class of 05 on the 21st!

[This message has been edited by Doggie (edited April 11, 2001).]

Thanks for the info B.boom.

I am also corresponding via-e-mail with current 1st year student. I will post new info if it is valuable.

Henkel

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Nicholas.OS:
UConn is ranked first this year... they finally kicked Harvard's butt. =)

Nicholas.OS... in what area.. ??
What's UConn famous for .. in terms of programs..