UCLA vs. U of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soapsuds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how would you decide between these two schools/how do you think they stack up against one another (pros vs cons of each). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

both awesome. ucla is in a much better location though.

One is really warm in the summer, the other is really cold in the winter. Very big con for both. Gas prices are also ungodly in Cali, a bit less so (but still high) in Mich.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other than the obnoxious football fans and the crappy winters (which are not as bad as people make them out to be...speaking as a transplant from a more temperate climate to Michigan), University of Michigan is a great place. It is one of my top choice schools and blows UCLA out of the water in my book.

imo, i'd take ucla over michigan solely for the location. ann arbor isn't exactly a town for those over undergrad.

imo, i'd take ucla over michigan solely for the location. ann arbor isn't exactly a town for those over undergrad.

if you're from CA and/or like college basketball: UCLA
if you're from Michigan and/or like college football: UMich

that wasn't so bad

One is really warm in the summer, the other is really cold in the winter. Very big con for both. Gas prices are also ungodly in Cali, a bit less so (but still high) in Mich.

And, I thought you were from Texas!

And, I thought you were from Texas!

Hey, I am, but I realize that some people can't take the heat (and complain). Besides, it's way easier to warm up in the winter than it is to cool down in the summer. Just a thought, you know?

One is really warm in the summer, the other is really cold in the winter.

I doubt you have ever lived LA. LA basin summers are some of the least warm in the country. Westwood average summer highs are about the same as Michigan (low 80s) minus all the terrible humidity.

...or those over the age of 30. There is something to be said for a town with relatively little crime, decent access to major cities (admittedly, that major city for Ann Arbor is Detroit, but then again two words: South Central), and a moderately well educated population. Ann Arbor isn't dead but it tends to lack the really crappy drawbacks that plague LA.

as much as I would hate to admit it, I would pick UM over UCLA...

thanks for the replies everyone. any thoughts on the actual programs/type of student at each school. they seem incredible similar so maybe it does come down to location like everyone is touching on?

Members don't see this ad :)

actually, michigan is just as hot in the summers, plus it is humid. i have lived in socal my entire life, but my dad lives in mich, and i visit during the summers. personally, i would take dry heat over wet heat. I think very very few people would argue the weather in mich is better than southern california. it just isnt true.

U of M, hands down... The winters are not that bad, thanks to global warming.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'd pick U of M myself. However, if you really want to do a residency in California, something can be said for setting up relationships in California to match there.

As far as curriculum goes,I think they are extremely similar.
if I remember correctly, UCLA is a pro-sected anatomy, and UM is a full on dissection. If that matters to you.

UCLA Med Center is ranked 3rd in the nation, not sure about Mich.

I would go UCLA all the way. Mostly because I love SoCal, have lived here my entire life, and want to match in California.

But, I did get a fuzzy feeling at Michigan. Just not fuzzy enough to get me through the winters. I think the students were equally happy at these two schools and seemed to really love where they were.

good luck :p

EDIT: and UCLA football is not THAT bad! Go Bruins! (b/c i hope i can become one!)

Univ of Michigan >> UCLA in my mind.

But I'm a Michigan resident and it's my top choice, so I'd go there over any of the other schools I'm applying to, so take that into mind when you assess my opinion. :p

I don't think you can go wrong at either. They are both great places. I think location would be the differentiator, and I think UCLA is much better. LA is much safer and offers a lot more than Detroit. UCLA is in a very good part of LA too. If you want to get a top residency in CA, I think UCLA would give you an edge. Also, UCLA curriculum is pretty nice, with not too many hours of week in class, and M and F classes finished at 12pm.

Michigan is not in Detroit, far from it.

I would go to UCLA if you don't want to be bored, but Michigan if you want high quality research and don't mind being in a dying state.

Michigan is not in Detroit, far from it.

I would go to UCLA if you don't want to be bored, but Michigan if you want high quality research and don't mind being in a dying state.

I know it's not in Detroit, but thats the closest metropolitan area. It wouldn't be fair to compare what LA has to a small college town like Ann Arbor.

And for what it's worth, UCLA in 2006 according to US News got 33% more NIH research funding than Michigan, $425 million to $325 million.

i wouldn't really call ann arbor a small college town. it is defenitely a good sized place with tons of people and things to do. however, la is la...any other thoughts? are there any major differences in curriculum, clinical opportunities, etc?

UCLA because we just won a close game against Texas A&M

I know that wasn't the reason you wanted but it was a big enough thing to make me go outside and scream for joy

both are great schools. if you are young and single, i would definitely say ucla, even though i hate LA.

There's about 6 inches of snow on the ground right now in Michigan and its almost April.

The obvious choice here is UCLA.

I went to Michigan for undergrad and can tell you it's really a great place to live. Yes it is cold in the winter, but the fall, spring and summer are amazing there. I personally would prefer Westwood just because I love the beach and warm weather, but the climate should probably be low on your list of deciding factors.

While people would say they're very similar in terms of reputation and resources I feel like Michigan is really on the upswing in terms of funding and attracting top physicians. I believe they're trying to make school totally free for all med students in like 2 years or something, so I would imagine the 3rd/4th years at the time would get some amount of money. I also know that most of the physicians and all of the faculty at Michigan are really involved in the education process and very committed to helping you learn and make the most of your 4 years.

I went to Michigan for undergrad and can tell you it's really a great place to live. Yes it is cold in the winter, but the fall, spring and summer are amazing there. I personally would prefer Westwood just because I love the beach and warm weather, but the climate should probably be low on your list of deciding factors.

While people would say they're very similar in terms of reputation and resources I feel like Michigan is really on the upswing in terms of funding and attracting top physicians. I believe they're trying to make school totally free for all med students in like 2 years or something, so I would imagine the 3rd/4th years at the time would get some amount of money. I also know that most of the physicians and all of the faculty at Michigan are really involved in the education process and very committed to helping you learn and make the most of your 4 years.

Where did you hear that from??

Where did you hear that from??

My friend from undergrad is doing a 5th year masters program at Michigan. And he was accepted there for med school. He knows Dr. Ruiz pretty well, as well as a group of cardiologists that we shadowed with and played adult league sports with. A few of these doctors are on the admissions committee and I know he sees them almost on a daily basis.

I talk with him pretty often and he mentioned it. Im not sure where he heard that, but could've been from one of the above people i mentioned.

they told us at the interviews that the alumni association's goal was to raise enough money to have everything payed for. oh if my parents coulda waited for a few more years haha.

U of M, hands down... The winters are not that bad, thanks to global warming.
Yeah, seeing as we just had the fifth worst winter on record (according to one of the local weathermen) here.....

Yeah, seeing as we just had the fifth worst winter on record (according to one of the local weathermen) here.....

are you kidding? i was walking around in a t-shirt in december and january. february was kinda cold though i'm not gonna lie.

Los Angeles: July avg high: 80
Jan. avh high: 67

Ann Arbor: July avg high: 83 (plus humidity)
Jan. avg high: 30

Where are you originally from? And where would you want to do residency? It's very hard to leave Michigan after going to school there unless you are a super star candidate. I would say go to UCLA if you want to match on the West Coast, and for that matter on the East Coast.

i wouldn't say it's hard to get out of the midwest coming from michigan. . .

Where are you originally from? And where would you want to do residency? It's very hard to leave Michigan after going to school there unless you are a super star candidate. I would say go to UCLA if you want to match on the West Coast, and for that matter on the East Coast.

Anesthesiology
OHSU X2
UCSF X2
Brigham and Womens
University of Texas Medical Branch- Galveston
University of Alabama
Cornell
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Virginia
UCSD
Massachusetts General Hospital
Cleveland Clinic
University of Michigan

Dermatology
University of Michigan X2
Medical College of Wisconsin

Family Medicine
Swedish Medical Center, WA
Idaho State University
Tacoma Family Medicine, WA
Lancaster General Hospital, PA
University of North Carolina
University of Michigan

Emergency Medicine
Carolinas Medical Center X2
Duke
Henry Ford, MI
USC
Beth Israel Deaconess

General Surgery
Eastern Virginia
Beth Israel Deaconess
UCSD
Grand Rapids Med Ed
Temple University
Wright Patterson Medical Center, OH
Saint Joseph Mercy, MI
Baylor College of Medicine- Houston
Albert Einstein Medical Center, PA

Internal Medicine
UCSF X2
Central Iowa Health System
University of Michigan X12
Duke
University of Pennsylvania
UTSW
California Pacific
UCSD
University of Rochester
Kaiser Permanente- San Francisco
University of Washington
USC
SUNY- Brooklyn
UCLA
Cornell

Internal Medicine/ Pediatrics
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
Mount Sinai, NY

Neurology
Harbor-UCLA

Neurosurgery
University of Michigan
University of Wisconsin
Saint Josephs, AZ

OB/GYN
Northwestern X2
Barnes-Jewish
University of Florida

Ophthalmology
Henry Ford, MI X2
William Beaumont, MI
UCSF
Northwestern
Duke
Indiana University
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Michigan X3
Johns Hopkins- Wilmer, Greater Baltimore Med Ctr
California Pacific

Orthopedic Surgery
NYU X2
Rush University Medical Center
Mayo, MN
Henry Ford, MI
Hosp for Special Surg, NY
University of Michigan
UC Davis
USC

Otolaryngology
Naval Medical Center, San Diego
Emory
Barnes-Jewish
Mayo, AZ

Pathology
UCSF
University of New Mexico

Pediatrics
Stanford
Cincinnati Childrens X3
Albert Einstein/ Montefiore
Childrens Hospital- Philadelphia
Carolinas Medical Center
University of Colorado
Northwestern X2

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
University of Washington
Carolinas Medical Center
Northwestern

Psychiatry
Stanford
University of Michigan
UCSF
University of Washington
New England Medical Center
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
NYU

Psychiatry/ Family Med
University of Iowa

Radiation Oncology
Brigham and Womens
University of Washington

Radiology
Henry Ford, MI X2
Mayo, FL
University of Michigan X5
Wayne State/ DMC, MI
Mount Sinai, FL
Cornell

Urology
University of Minnesota
Ohio State University
University of Michigan
Cleveland Clinic

This statement is entirely false. Take a look at the 2008 match list posted in another thread on this forum. You will see that Michigan student matched in all regions of the country. In fact, most did not stay in Michigan. Both places are excellent medical schools that will prepare you to match nationally. Yes, going to UCLA you will have a better chance of matching to a California residency. Personally I would say UCLA; the weather is great, the campus is beautiful and the med school atmosphere is laid back.

While I prefer UCLA, residency placement for Michigan is the same as any other top med school. You would not be limited to Michigan. UCLA might be better for a CA residency, but neither would be better or worse for a residency in NY for example.

UCLA Match list 2008

162/162 matched (100%)

Anesthesiology (4)
UCLA x 2
Cedars-Sinai, CA
University of Michigan

Dermatology (3)
UCLA x 2
University of Maryland

Emergency Medicine (8)
Harbor-UCLA x4
Alameda County Med Ctr - CA x2
University of Cincinnati
UCSF Fresno

Family Medicine (15)
Harbor-UCLA x2
Kaiser Permanente Woodland Hills - CA
Ventura County Med Ctr - CA
Kaiser Permanente Fontana - CA
Meharry/Metro General - TN
O'Connor Hospital - CA
White Memorial Hospital - CA x2
Kaiser Permanente LA - CA x 2
UCLA
Northride Hospital - CA
UC Irvine x 2

General Surgery (12)
Harbor - UCLA x3
UCLA x3
Texas A&M Scott and White
USC
Marshall University - WV
University of Michigan
Huntington Memorial Hospital
UC Davis

Internal Medicine (34)
UC San Diego x2
UC Irvine x2
Harbor-UCLA
Univ of Kansas - Kansas City
UCSF x3
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center - CA x2
Cedars-Sinai x4
UCLA x 3
Physicians Medical Center - AL
Baylor College of Medicine - Houston TX
Kaiser Permanente LA - CA x2
Stanford
UC Davis x2
Olive View - UCLA x2
NYP Hospital-Columbia Univ - NY x2
UCLA San Fernando Valley x2
Brigham and Womens Hosp - MA
Johns Hopkins - MD x2

Internal Medicine - Pediatrics (1)
UCSD

Neurology (1)
UCSF

Neurosurgery (1)
UCLA

OB/GYN (11)
Yale-New Haven Hosp - CT
Beth Israel Deaconess - MA
Harbor-UCLA x2
University of Texas - Houston
Brigham & Womens Hosp - MA
Cedars-Sinai
Kern Medical Center - CA
Kaiser Permanente LA - CA
Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr - AZ

Ophthalmology (5)
UCSF
USC
Cleveland Clinic
Baylord College of Medicine - Houston
UCLA

Orthopedic Surgery (10)
UCLA x2
University of Rochester / Strong Mem - NY x2
Stanford
Yale-New Haven Hosp - CT
University of Missouri - KC
USC
Univ of Tennessee COM - Memphis

Otolaryngology (5)
UCLA x3
UC Davis
University of Washington Affil Hosp

Pathology (3)
UCLA x2
UCSF

Pediatrics (12)
UC Davis
Stanford x2
UCLA x4
Kaiser Permanente LA - CA
Childrens Hospital Oakland - CA x2
Harbor-UCLA
University of Colorado

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (1)
VA Greater LA Health System - CA

Plastic Surgery (3)
Baylor College of Medicine - Houston
UC Irvine
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA - IL

Psychiatry (7)
San Mateo County Mental Health - CA
VA Greater Health System - CA
UCLA Semel Institute x2
Harvard Longwood Psych - MA
Emory Univ - GA
Cedars - Sinai

Radiation Oncology (1)
UCLA

Radiology - Diagnostic (12)
Santa Clara Valley MC - CA
Cedars - Sinai
USC x2
UCSF x2
UCLA x3
Barnes-Jewish Hosp- MO
Mt Sinai Med Ctr- FL
University Hospitals Case Med Ctr - OH

Urology (4)
Stanford
UCLA
Yale
-other 1 unknown

Medicine - Preliminary (1)
Cedars Sinai

Surgery - Preliminary (8)
Beth Israel Med Ctr
Cedars-Sinai
Allegheny General Hospital - PA
University of Wisconsin Hospital
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
Harbor-UCLA x2
USC

the bottom line is they are both excellent programs where you will get great training.

if a bruin were to fight a wolverine, which would win? the bear is much bigger, but it could be slow, while a wolverine would definitely be scrappy, maybe tear your eyes out.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
the bottom line is they are both excellent programs where you will get great training.

if a bruin were to fight a wolverine, which would win? the bear is much bigger, but it could be slow, while a wolverine would definitely be scrappy, maybe tear your eyes out.
Wolverines are alleged (according to a high school classmate of my father's who works for the Montana (IIRC) Department of Fish and Game as a wildlife biologist) to be the only animal that grizzly bears will not mess with because they are such a nasty animal.

Could you post the link to the website you got the match list from? Thanks.

Hey, I am, but I realize that some people can't take the heat (and complain). Besides, it's way easier to warm up in the winter than it is to cool down in the summer. Just a thought, you know?

Ok, I've lived near Ann Arbor, some summer days its like 100 there... Usually around 70-90 in the summer

No. My bad...I didn't mean to imply that. I can see how I might have come across that way. Actually, I was interested in the UCLA match list. The reason I asked for the link was because the only place I was able to find a link to UCLA's match list was on their medstudent website and I wasn't able to access it because it is password protected.

Ok, I've lived near Ann Arbor, some summer days its like 100 there... Usually around 70-90 in the summer

Compared to Texas, it's a godsend. :p