ucla vs uc irvine (honors/regents/deans) pre med

LOLLIPOPEATER

Reaction score
hi i am a high school senior currently trying to decide between ucla and uc irvine for pre med.

UCLA appeals to me because of its prestige and location; however, i am hesitant because of the tough competition that is there hence leading me to probably get a lower GPA/weeded out of pre-med entirely
UC Irvine, although ranked lower, seems to be a good mid-tier UC, where it would be easier to stand out and obtain a higher GPA.
My question is, is it really true that classes at UCLA are THAT hard and if they are how much harder would they even be compared to UC Irvine.
I've also read that it is harder for people applying to med schools from UC Irvine with high GPAs (3.8+) to get accepted than a student from UCLA with a lower GPA. is this true?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I would attend the school that you like more and just do the best you can. Don't overthink it

Reactions: 1 user
I would say go to the school that you'd be happy about (and also the most academically successful at). I have some premed friends who came from "lower ranked" UG schools and have been admitted into T20 med schools, and some T20 UG students who can't get into med school at all. Don't let the prestige factor blindside you from the essentials. Just make sure to go somewhere keeping in mind the cost, potential happiness, academic success, and premed resources.

Reactions: 1 user