Ucla Vs Ucsd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonshomer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how to decide between UCSD and UCLA. I know I want to go into surgery but not sure what kind. Can someone please help me out with some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

From an outsider's perspective:

UCLA = better rep, happier students.
I'm sure UCSD has strong points as well.

Good luck with your choice (and sorry I don't know more about the two schools).

UCLA. It's higher ranked and has a lot of academic doctors who are also surgeons so you'll probably be able to find at least someone you can shadow as you reach up and try and become a surgeon. Also, UCLA students seem to be happier than SD's.

Members don't see this ad :)
my UCSD 3rd year med student friend told me not to go to ucsd. He said that the med students are unhappy and administration doesn't take care of the students.

I'm at UCSD (I guess I'm an MS-III since I just finished MS-II).

If UCLA had taken me I would have gone there. It's a great program. But having gone through half of the UCSD program I think it was a better match for me.

Don't believe what everyone says about UCSD. There's a lot of rumors floating around that are completely false, and many others that are oversensationalized.

I think that the administration here is quite good. Some people want changes that I don't agree with, and the administration doesn't either. The professors who run the courses are very receptive to student feedback, but they won't dumb down a class because people want it to be easier. (The issue is not grading so much as people deciding that some information we learn isn't relevant to them. I don't see on what basis they can decide what is relevant to clinical practice. We don't have lectures on some professor's random research interests or anything obscure like that.)

Some people are unhappy. Many are not. I don't know if it's different elsewhere. You should look into why some people are unhappy if you're going to turn down UCSD for that reason. The program is academically rigorous and some people don't want that. I appreciate the rigor, personally.

lord_jeebus said:
I'm at UCSD (I guess I'm an MS-III since I just finished MS-II).

If UCLA had taken me I would have gone there. It's a great program. But having gone through half of the UCSD program I think it was a better match for me.

Don't believe what everyone says about UCSD. There's a lot of rumors floating around that are completely false, and many others that are oversensationalized.

I think that the administration here is quite good. Some people want changes that I don't agree with, and the administration doesn't either. The professors who run the courses are very receptive to student feedback, but they won't dumb down a class because people want it to be easier. (The issue is not grading so much as people deciding that some information we learn isn't relevant to them. I don't see on what basis they can decide what is relevant to clinical practice. We don't have lectures on some professor's random research interests or anything obscure like that.)

Some people are unhappy. Many are not. I don't know if it's different elsewhere. You should look into why some people are unhappy if you're going to turn down UCSD for that reason. The program is academically rigorous and some people don't want that. I appreciate the rigor, personally.

I think UCLA has more opportunities in surgery if that's what you're looking for, whether its general, transplant, or cardio...esspicially...also, its a better well known medical center. just my two cents...I have known several people accepted to both that have gone to LA.

curious...
havent you already had to make that decision? or did you just come off one of their waitlists?
thanks