UCLA vs UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarface8450

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently received an acceptance to UCSF. Now I have to decide between UCSF and UCLA. I want to make the decision as soon as possible to free up a spot for other people. I would like to know your opinions on which school is 'better' any input from current students would be very helpful. I have no preference of either city (they are both very cool and have their respective draws). I would like to hear what people like/dislike about each school. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently received an acceptance to UCSF. Now I have to decide between UCSF and UCLA. I want to make the decision as soon as possible to free up a spot for other people. I would like to know your opinions on which school is 'better' any input from current students would be very helpful. I have no preference of either city (they are both very cool and have their respective draws). I would like to hear what people like/dislike about each school. Thanks for your input.

You're in a position that most would envy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I almost did not want to post this because I did not want to make people feel like I was trying to troll, but I think the best way to decide is to see what actual med students have to say about their respective school. I saw some very good discussions in the ucla/ucsd thread and was hoping to start one here.

norcal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>socal

that is all.

I was in a similar position and just withdrew from SF a couple weeks ago and will be going to UCLA. It is a very hard choice.
I made my choice of UCLA for three reasons:

1. I like their curriculum a lot. 10 hours of lecture a week is nice, as is getting out at noon M,F, and not starting till 10am TWTh. I also like how they have a organ based curriculum that repeats and reinforces stuff first and second years.

2. I like LA more than SF, but you might not care. Westwood is a top area of LA near the beach and other cool places. Westwood has mild weather all year while SF is colder and foggier. LA also has more types of better food. Unlike SF, the med school is part of the University campus, which offers a lot in terms of recourses and social opportunities that a stand alone med school doesn't have. Students are more cohesive because 90% live in Weybern for the first two years, which is nice, close to the med school, and not as expensive as SF or surrounding LA rents. SF has a lot of older non-traditionals who live far off campus, which might be nice if you are also an older non-traditional.

3. I like the clinical training at UCLA better. UCLA has a better spectrum of hospitals including what is supposed to be an amazing new UCLA hospital opening this summer. The current hospital is already #3 in the nation.

I was in a similar position and just withdrew from SF a couple weeks ago and will be going to UCLA. It is a very hard choice.
I made my choice of UCLA for three reasons:

1. I like their curriculum a lot. 10 hours of lecture a week is nice, as is getting out at noon M,F, and not starting till 10am TWTh. I also like how they have a organ based curriculum that repeats and reinforces stuff first and second years.

2. I like LA more than SF, but you might not care. Westwood is a top area of LA near the beach and other cool places. Westwood has mild weather all year while SF is colder and foggier. LA also has more types of better food. Unlike SF, the med school is part of the University campus, which offers a lot in terms of recourses and social opportunities that a stand alone med school doesn't have. Students are more cohesive because 90% live in Weybern for the first two years, which is nice, close to the med school, and not as expensive as SF or surrounding LA rents. SF has a lot of older non-traditionals who live far off campus, which might be nice if you are also an older non-traditional.

3. I like the clinical training at UCLA better. UCLA has a better spectrum of hospitals including what is supposed to be an amazing new UCLA hospital opening this summer. The current hospital is already #3 in the nation.

Word to everything in this post.

Word to everything in this post. I didnt' get into SF. But even if I did now, I would still go to UCLA.

OP, I also got into both schools and will be attending UCLA in the fall. UCSF may be slightly higher in the rankings, but UCLA is arguably the best medical school in the US when you think about all the intangibles. For example, patients think UCLA-trained physicians are absolute gods, and most of them haven't even heard of UCSF...

OP, I also got into both schools and will be attending UCLA in the fall. UCSF may be slightly higher in the rankings, but UCLA is arguably the best medical school in the US when you think about all the intangibles. For example, patients think UCLA-trained physicians are absolute gods, and most of them haven't even heard of UCSF...

:laugh:.

Hopkins?

UCSF, unless you can't resist the lifestyle at LA.

Im in the exact same boat-- and all along I have been leaning towards UCLA. Rankings don't mean much to me, especially when both are in the top 10 :D

As far as pre-clinical years go: UCLA wins for me. Like others have said, there is very little lecture, they have PBL, beautifully integrated blocks that you get through in 1 year, then have a second iteration the second year. SF's curriculum is similar, but you dont get 2 iterations (from what i can tell).

We were told that they get about 7 weeks to study for boards/take time off before 3rd year starts at UCLA. Im not sure about UCSF

I also think that having an undergrad campus, and graduate programs OTHER than science is a major plus. It makes for more social interactions with people outside of our little bubble.

In regards to clinical training: i don't think you can go wrong either way. UCLA has various affiliates, in addition to the amazing UCLA medical center (and a bran-spankin new hospital!).

UCSF is the only major medical center in the region--so their students also get great clinical training.

Im still undecided b/c I like SF more than LA, but only marginally so.
Also, I am very interested in global health, and SF has a great international program.

I have also heard a few people say that the students at SF are not very enthusiastic and not as happy...whereas I know the UCLA peps are having a great time. Can any UCSF students comment on your satisfaction level with school and student life in general?

Don't listen to them. Goto UCSF, it's the best med school in california, and one of the top 5 in the country, you will regret it if you don't go.

I did not use "name" when making my choice, but if you care, I would say they are pretty even overall. SF is very slightly higher in the US News rankings, but they are both top 10 and UCLA is a much more well respected and recognized name among the masses. Most people outside of some physicians and scientists have never heard of UCSF.

Members don't see this ad :)
i second UCSF. I live in los angeles, about 5 minutes from UCLA. I would say go where you feel you would most fit in...if you enjoy lots of traffic, an ever- growing city (3.7 mil and counting!), with very little options for housing, then you might want to try LA. Personally, I grew up in this city and after going to UC Davis for 5 years, I fell in love with the fresh air, wide open spaces and general healthy way of life that people seem to embrace up there. Not to say that people in LA are all fast-food munching tycoons (Santa Monica, for example, is a place I frequent quite a bit, I feel like I can "breathe" there), but my personal opinion is that you will get the SAME if not BETTER sort of medical training at UCSF than you would at UCLA. I feel that your choice should rest on lifestyle...

It's true, you may get more "interesting" cases in the various hospitals in LA versus in SF (but who's to say?), the take home message should be where will you be happy to LIVE for 4+ years. I personally would not choose LA.

i second UCSF. I live in los angeles, about 5 minutes from UCLA. I would say go where you feel you would most fit in...if you enjoy lots of traffic, an ever- growing city (3.7 mil and counting!), with very little options for housing, then you might want to try LA. Personally, I grew up in this city and after going to UC Davis for 5 years, I fell in love with the fresh air, wide open spaces and general healthy way of life that people seem to embrace up there. Not to say that people in LA are all fast-food munching tycoons (Santa Monica, for example, is a place I frequent quite a bit, I feel like I can "breathe" there), but my personal opinion is that you will get the SAME if not BETTER sort of medical training at UCSF than you would at UCLA. I feel that your choice should rest on lifestyle...

It's true, you may get more "interesting" cases in the various hospitals in LA versus in SF (but who's to say?), the take home message should be where will you be happy to LIVE for 4+ years. I personally would not choose LA.

:thumbup: word...as another LA native, i could not agree more with this.
SF >>>>>>>>>>> LA

I'm trying to make this decision too. But throw in being OOS and acceptances to some schools in my hometown. A very difficult decision.

I really liked UCLA's campus and vibe but I've heard less than stellar things about LA itself from close friends and transplants from NY. But their curriculum seemed great and SO accommodating! Plus its P/F for all four years!

UCSF seemed very nice but seemed tiny (nothing else really going on in Parnassus). But I like San Francisco a whole lot! A lot of my friends love San Fran although its super expensive and I think I would like it a lot too.

Unfortunately, I may not end up at either since I'm OOS and their financial aid was not what I was hoping for. But would it be worth the extra cost to get the opportunity to live in Cali? Sorry, off topic.

If all things were equal (money wise) I would go with UCSF just because of the location.

"with very little options for housing, then you might want to try LA. "
Good housing is promised for 2 years. One of the biggest selling points of Geffen is the life style. If anywhere has worse housing than LA, it is SF and NY. Also, their students seem so happy and content with the weather and location of UCLA being so prime.

as a native of the bay area (and someone who lived in sf for 2 years and still works there) i do think that sf is an amazing city. i will most likely be attending ucla for medical school and am really excited to experience la (though i have a lot less personal input on what its like there, so far i've always had a LOT of fun when i've visited)

the two cents that i wanted to contribute in this discussion (that ive noticed has recently took a more 'lifestyle' oriented slant) is that if you are going to factor in the lifestyle of the city as a main deciding factor, then you really should consider and be informed about the access that a medical student has to that 'lifestyle' --this is where input from an actual ucsf/ucla medical student would be very helpful...

most (not all, so i am not trying to generalize, but to offer some anecdotal input that i think is pretty relevant) of the ucsf med students i know live in the sunset (close to parnassus campus--as someone who has dealt with commuting within the city i would also add that this really seems to be the most convenient thing to do--if you look on a map, ucsf main campus is really quite far removed from the areas i love most in sf: the mission, polk street, nob hill, north beach, hayes valley, castro parts of soma--it is closer to the haight and cole valley though)

the people i know who live in the sunset largely stay in the sunset--its not a reasonable cab ride to any of the places in sf that i listed earlier. though the sunset has cute bars/restaurants i dont think that when people rave about san francisco--they are referring to this area in particular--in fact its a trek for me to visit them (i lived in nob hill) and my roommate actually rents a car (when she knows shes going to the sunset because it takes literally forever on public transportation to get there (though the muni does run right close to campus--which is a plus) and like i said before its not affordable to cab it, if you plan on owning a car im sure its different...but 'going out' in the city with a car in sf will be a pain...

the other housing option i know is mission bay--where i work--and never in my life would i consider mission bay representative of the san francisco that i love. mission bay is a developing landfill that to me is neither here nor there. there are mostly chain restaurants and the closest major landmark (other than the ballpark and the caltrain station) is the huge safeway. often times when i am stuck late at work, i feel stranded to be in mission bay.

so anyways...a long*** essay i just wrote...but PLEASE consider not only the city you will be living in..but your access to it!! i dont consider the sunset OR mission bay to be SF and when i decided to move here...neither of them were deemed acceptable places to live by my roommates (even though in the sunset you can get MUCh larger and cheaper--relatively--aptments---coming from nob hill--it feels like the burbs--and though called the sunset...is mostly (and i WILL generalize because i think its TRUE) foggy, windy, chilly, blEH.

again, i dont think that the sunset is NOT fun, im just saying...its not really SF if you ask me...so yea do your research..it would be disappointing (as it was for my bf at berkeley who thought he'd be in 'san francisco') if you decided your next four years based mostly on lifestyle and found that that particular lifestyle was not the most accessible to you.

=) best of :luck::luck::luck: and i echo that you are in an extremely enviable situation!!!

and i really wanted to just offer something to consider, not diss any particular neighborhood in sf--basically when you go to revisit...try to find out how often and easy it is for the students to really 'get out' in the city =)

as a native of the bay area (and someone who lived in sf for 2 years and still works there) i do think that sf is an amazing city. i will most likely be attending ucla for medical school and am really excited to experience la (though i have a lot less personal input on what its like there, so far i've always had a LOT of fun when i've visited)

the two cents that i wanted to contribute in this discussion (that ive noticed has recently took a more 'lifestyle' oriented slant) is that if you are going to factor in the lifestyle of the city as a main deciding factor, then you really should consider and be informed about the access that a medical student has to that 'lifestyle' --this is where input from an actual ucsf/ucla medical student would be very helpful...

most (not all, so i am not trying to generalize, but to offer some anecdotal input that i think is pretty relevant) of the ucsf med students i know live in the sunset (close to parnassus campus--as someone who has dealt with commuting within the city i would also add that this really seems to be the most convenient thing to do--if you look on a map, ucsf main campus is really quite far removed from the areas i love most in sf: the mission, polk street, nob hill, north beach, hayes valley, castro parts of soma--it is closer to the haight and cole valley though)

the people i know who live in the sunset largely stay in the sunset--its not a reasonable cab ride to any of the places in sf that i listed earlier. though the sunset has cute bars/restaurants i dont think that when people rave about san francisco--they are referring to this area in particular--in fact its a trek for me to visit them (i lived in nob hill) and my roommate actually rents a car (when she knows shes going to the sunset because it takes literally forever on public transportation to get there (though the muni does run right close to campus--which is a plus) and like i said before its not affordable to cab it, if you plan on owning a car im sure its different...but 'going out' in the city with a car in sf will be a pain...

the other housing option i know is mission bay--where i work--and never in my life would i consider mission bay representative of the san francisco that i love. mission bay is a developing landfill that to me is neither here nor there. there are mostly chain restaurants and the closest major landmark (other than the ballpark and the caltrain station) is the huge safeway. often times when i am stuck late at work, i feel stranded to be in mission bay.

so anyways...a long*** essay i just wrote...but PLEASE consider not only the city you will be living in..but your access to it!! i dont consider the sunset OR mission bay to be SF and when i decided to move here...neither of them were deemed acceptable places to live by my roommates (even though in the sunset you can get MUCh larger and cheaper--relatively--aptments---coming from nob hill--it feels like the burbs--and though called the sunset...is mostly (and i WILL generalize because i think its TRUE) foggy, windy, chilly, blEH.

again, i dont think that the sunset is NOT fun, im just saying...its not really SF if you ask me...so yea do your research..it would be disappointing (as it was for my bf at berkeley who thought he'd be in 'san francisco') if you decided your next four years based mostly on lifestyle and found that that particular lifestyle was not the most accessible to you.

=) best of :luck::luck::luck: and i echo that you are in an extremely enviable situation!!!

and i really wanted to just offer something to consider, not diss any particular neighborhood in sf--basically when you go to revisit...try to find out how often and easy it is for the students to really 'get out' in the city =)

Thanks! I did not even think of this aspect of the equation.

Im in the exact same boat-- and all along I have been leaning towards UCLA. Rankings don't mean much to me, especially when both are in the top 10 :D

As far as pre-clinical years go: UCLA wins for me. Like others have said, there is very little lecture, they have PBL, beautifully integrated blocks that you get through in 1 year, then have a second iteration the second year. SF's curriculum is similar, but you dont get 2 iterations (from what i can tell).

We were told that they get about 7 weeks to study for boards/take time off before 3rd year starts at UCLA. Im not sure about UCSF

I also think that having an undergrad campus, and graduate programs OTHER than science is a major plus. It makes for more social interactions with people outside of our little bubble.

In regards to clinical training: i don't think you can go wrong either way. UCLA has various affiliates, in addition to the amazing UCLA medical center (and a bran-spankin new hospital!).

UCSF is the only major medical center in the region--so their students also get great clinical training.

Im still undecided b/c I like SF more than LA, but only marginally so.
Also, I am very interested in global health, and SF has a great international program.

I have also heard a few people say that the students at SF are not very enthusiastic and not as happy...whereas I know the UCLA peps are having a great time. Can any UCSF students comment on your satisfaction level with school and student life in general?

I am also interested in international health. Does UCLA not have a good international health program? I would like to do some fourth year rotations out of the country if possible. Anyone know how accommodating UCLA is for this?

I don't know anything about UCLA's international health program-mostly b/c I couldn't find much on it! But i do know UCSF has access to programs that allow you to go abroad. If you find out about UCLA's access to international rotations, please share!

any current students have input on "lifestyle" at these two amazing schools?

I am also interested in international health. Does UCLA not have a good international health program? I would like to do some fourth year rotations out of the country if possible. Anyone know how accommodating UCLA is for this?

i wonder if you can trust these responses at this point in time in the cycle since everyone has their own personal agenda. i.e people on the waitlist at UCLA or UCSF.

i wonder if you can trust these responses at this point in time in the cycle since everyone has their own personal agenda. i.e people on the waitlist at UCLA or UCSF.

:laugh:

It's not really that big of a deal... I'm sure the OP can read people's opinions, decide if he/she agrees or disagrees and then use the information to make their own final decision.

Lifestyle at UCSF rocks. EOD.

FWIW UCSF bought us VIP passes to a club downtown our first quarter.... Fun times, the med school takes care of us.

i would echo what pntgrd said earlier. i feel as if the students at ucla are a lot closer with each other and there is more of a community feel, especially since most of them live together in weyburn. not that the students at ucsf aren't close with each other, i just feel as if the dynamics at ucla were better between the students. this was a big selling point for me.

also, i think the students at ucla seem to have more time to enjoy themselves and/or get involved in various community service/research opportunities due to the little time spent in lecture (10 hrs/wk). it's nice to be able to get up at 10am on T/W/Th or be done at noon on M/F. i know a lot of students at ucla who take weekend trips to the beach or to ski because they are done at noon and have time to drive somewhere nice.

you are going to get a great education at both places, so for me, it would come down to the lifestyle at both schools, which is where i think ucla beats ucsf. (not that studenst at ucsf don't have fun, i just think that out of all the schools i've visited, the lifestyle at ucla is by far the best.)

I say UCSF. the students are of higher caliber and you're in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. LA is too hot for me and I felt that westwood was a little to fake (but then again, that's just how la is and most people like that).

UCLA has too many guaranteed slots to unqualified applicants through it's uc riverside, drew univesrity, and prime programs. That's why it's averages are below those of other top tier cali schools (stanford, ucsf, ucsd). don't get me wrong, ucla is a great place to study and you'll be happy. but if you're looking for an environment with the strongest caliber students to work and learn with, sf is better than la

I say UCSF. the students are of higher caliber and you're in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. LA is too hot for me and I felt that westwood was a little to fake (but then again, that's just how la is and most people like that).

UCLA has too many guaranteed slots to unqualified applicants through it's uc riverside, drew univesrity, and prime programs. That's why it's averages are below those of other top tier cali schools (stanford, ucsf, ucsd). don't get me wrong, ucla is a great place to study and you'll be happy. but if you're looking for an environment with the strongest caliber students to work and learn with, sf is better than la

Are you kidding me? These are very important programs for our state to ensure that there are medical students out there getting trained to treat the underserved. These students are anything but "unqualified". I can't believe you would say that. I would much rather be in a class with students from a variety of backgrounds than those that are just the "strongest caliber". UCSF has a PRIME program too.

I don't think a few points on the mcat or gpa makes one a stronger caliber student. A S.D. is a different story.

Are you kidding me? These are very important programs for our state to ensure that there are medical students out there getting trained to treat the underserved. These students are anything but "unqualified". I can't believe you would say that. I would much rather be in a class with students from a variety of backgrounds than those that are just the "strongest caliber". UCSF has a PRIME program too.

Word, you tell them.

To the OP this topic is discussed almost every year go hear for last years thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=389174&highlight=Ucla

I'll cut and past some of my reply's from last year here:

Dude at UCLA you only have 2 hours of lecture a day and normally out by 3 pm tues-thurs, and on mondays and fridays you get out by noon. You'll have all the time in the world to go check out the hotties on north campus. During my first 2 years of med school I went clubbing in LA every thurs-sat, and you can bump into Paris, Linsey, and Britney or better yet you can bump into jenna jammison, tera patrick, jessica darling etc. Can't find those hotties in SF. only in SF (san fernando) valley.

First of all you can't loose ether way both great schools and all the great things Dr. Dodger Dog said about UCSF can also be said about UCLA. So I just cut and pasted what Dr. Dodger Dog said about UCSF and just inserted UCLA instead: balanced student body, very diverse class, the curriculum was really cutting edge, on residency interviews, people always commented that "UCLA students are so great" etc etc, these past 4 years have been the happiest and most fulfilling years of my life, your fellow students to the pre-clinical professors to the attendings in the clinical setting, everyone is focused on medical student education in a very supportive and collegial environment, I love the Bruins, there are plenty of other students here- dental, pharm, nursing, grad, etc, UCSF is an excellent institution-- I have friends who are very happy there.

As to whether UCLA is significantly less competitive in residency directors eyes, I wouldn't say significantly less, but maybe a little less, given all things being equal. If 2 students given the same exact stats, applying for same spot, having gone to the bigger name/higher ranking school would help, but I think charming them at the interview would be a bigger tie braker.

As for 11 derm this year, it's not a fluke. You can't get much when comparing/looking at match lists cause it doesn't tell you how many people were interested in applying to that field that year. In 2006 only 2 derm but I heard only 3 applied, and as for this year 11 derms but 12 applied. A better measure is where did people match, and then taking into regional biasis and preferances.

Yes all 4 years is p/f which is a good thing, and we have letters of distinctions in year 3 for which there is no quota for how many students can get them, in essence =to honors, but w/o the limit how many students can recieve them.

These are quotes from the derm board from people who don't go to ucla:

http://p220.ezboard.com/fdermatology...art=21&stop=27

"ucla's deans letters do not distinguish students from each other very well. it is my understanding they don't use code language like outstanding vs. excellent vs. very good. also, they have "letters of distinction" instead of honors, and the deans letter does not say what percent of students got the letter of distinction in a particular rotation. thus, it may sound really impressive that you got a letter of distinction, but it may be that 90% of students got it (or it may be that only 10% got it). "

"i agree that clinical grades and dean's letters are bs. however, the way ucla does it puts their students at an advantage compared to students at other schools, because ucla's students don't directly compete with each other as they do at other schools. for example, an applicant from a school who was deemed to be "excellent" vs. an applicant at a school who was deemed to be "outstanding" would have been seen as a worse candidate (even though we know this is probably not true). or an applicant from a school who didn't receive honors when 25% of the class did would have looked worse than an applicant who did receive honors. it is harder to distinguish applicants when reading ucla's deans letters, so the "worst" applicants don't get weeded out as easily as they do at other schools."

There is no added pressure to do alot of ECs, I didn't do any except my research. Research is gonna be a big deal in any of the more competitve fields or even the none competitive fields at the big name institutions. I actually did my derm research at UCSF and the big name guy I got my letter of rec from actually helped me alot and was talked about at every interview.

So now back to the more important stuff like where are the hotties and dopest parties, I say in Los Angeles/OC and only Las Vegas and Miami can come close.

Both are good schools. My choice is:

1st choice: UCSF ( i am aiming for this school)
2nd choice: UCLA ( also aiming)

UCLA. Better location, better weather, connected to big university, better curriculum, more cohesive class living on campus, better hospital system, better university hospital. Difference in usn rankings is minuscule, UCLA name is more widely recognized than SF though.

UCLA. Better location, better weather, connected to big university, better curriculum, more cohesive class living on campus, better hospital system, better university hospital. Difference in usn rankings is minuscule, UCLA name is more widely recognized than SF though.

I hope you are not confusing undergrad reputation with med school reputation there.

I hope you are not confusing undergrad reputation with med school reputation there.

I think this person is saying that the UCLA name is much more widely recognized by the general public (people who are not in the medical field). For example, if you go to France and be like "eh yo, i go to ucsf". Dey be like "...eh... what da hell is that?" But if you go, "bam baby, i go to ucla"...dey be like "oooh yea, i know that school, its awesome." :thumbup:

I think this person is saying that the UCLA name is much more widely recognized by the general public (people who are not in the medical field). For example, if you go to France and be like "eh yo, i go to ucsf". Dey be like "...eh... what da hell is that?" But if you go, "bam baby, i go to ucla"...dey be like "oooh yea, i know that school, its awesome." :thumbup:

You don't care what the public thinks. You care what residency directors think. If you really care what the public thinks, you can take advantage of their sheep-like tendencies and say UCSF is ranked #5 by USNews and UCLA is #9. I think they'll "gawk in awe" over UCSF then.

I mean what I said literally. Almost everyone, in US and world, recognizes the UCLA name. UCSF is only known in medicine and the bay area.

You don't care what the public thinks. You care what residency directors think. If you really care what the public thinks, you can take advantage of their sheep-like tendencies and say UCSF is ranked #5 by USNews and UCLA is #9. I think they'll "gawk in awe" over UCSF then.

People outside of premeds and med school administrators don't know that the US News med school rankings exist.

well...you MIGHT care if a certain person in this general public is a hottie babe. You be like..."sup honey, i go to ucsf med school" and she be like "ewwww, creeper!". But if you go like..."yehhhh, me is at da ucla bruin med school"...she be like "ohhhhh dang, i know dat school, you a cool smartie cat. imma cruise wit you!" BAM, future wifey. :laugh:

lol, and what are sheep-like tendencies? :confused:

well...you MIGHT care if a certain person in this general public is a hottie babe. You be like..."sup honey, i go to ucsf med school" and she be like "ewwww, creeper!". But if you go like..."yehhhh, me is at da ucla bruin med school"...she be like "ohhhhh dang, i know dat school, you a cool smartie cat. imma cruise wit you!" BAM, future wifey. :laugh:

Hottie babe will follow cash regardless of what med school you went to.

Sheep-like tendencies are when you feed them lines and they will follow it "like sheep" because you have the letters "M.D." behind your name. Just don't lead them off a cliff, ok? ;)

Contrary to popular belief, the "I go to [insert school here] medical school" pickup lines don't work at all for the simple fact that medical student = poor and swimming in debt for the next 8-10 years or so.

Now the, "Yea, that's my Ashton Martin the valet is bringing around" line... that's a TOTALLY different story.

it's a slow week at med school and i decided to check out the pre-allo thread.

dude, the choice is easy. choose UCSF and you will never have to look back and wonder. The medical world rep is the only rep that matters. It doesn't matter in the slightest what your future patient thinks is the better school. Your goal in med school is to get the residency of your choice. UCSF has the better pedigree (fairly or not) with residency directors and big city group practices (later on down the line after completing your residency.)

Contrary to popular belief, the "I go to [insert school here] medical school" pickup lines don't work at all for the simple fact that medical student = poor and swimming in debt for the next 8-10 years or so.

Now the, "Yea, that's my Ashton Martin the valet is bringing around" line... that's a TOTALLY different story.

haha. i dont think the typical hottie babe knows that you're actually poor at this current time. all they think is "ohh he's just like dr. mcdreamy from grey's anatomy...or that guy on scrubs!" But you're right, you can't use the medical school pickup line. You just have to incorporate it into your overall game to snag those hunnies.

haha. i dont think the typical hottie babe knows that you're actually poor at this current time. all they think is "ohh he's just like dr. mcdreamy from grey's anatomy...or that guy on scrubs!" But you're right, you can't use the medical school pickup line. You just have to incorporate it into your overall game to snag those hunnies.

Word, you gottz it playa playa from da hemalaya. Game recognize game, keep on gaming.

UCLA gotz the hottest undergrads.:thumbup:

:laugh:

This shouldn't even be a question. UCSF all the way.... UCLA is a great school but its just not on the same level as UCSF.

Go to the city where you'd rather live for the rest of your life. Obviously you could switch for residency, but why bother when you could start making connections and putting down roots now. Both are outstanding schools.

I did an away clerkship at UCSF. The 3rd year students I encountered seemed happy.

Excuse me?

1. Please let me know if I look 'unqualified' to you.
2. UCR/UCLA students statistically do better than UCLA students on the Step 1 if you really want to play the silly numbers game.

UCR/UCLA, Drew, and PRIME are all excellent programs that produce stellar physicians.

As far as the question asked in the original post: You can't go wrong with either. Attend both second look weekends (UCLA's is already over, but I'm assuming you went, and UCSF's is pretty soon) and see if you fit in with one or the other better. They are very different cities with very different cultures from a location standpoint, and make sure you ask a lot of questions at each place to gauge how happy you'd be there.

Reactions: 1 user
This shouldn't even be a question. UCSF all the way.... UCLA is a great school but its just not on the same level as UCSF.

What are you talking about. UCSF med school is only 4 spots higher than LA on US News, both are top ten. Conversely, UCLA hospital, the main rotation site, is 4 spots higher than UCSF (#3 v. #7). I don't see how UCSF is of any higher level, in name (UCLA is more widely known across all fields and the public) or in substance.

whoa!!! i second rpedigo...ucr and drew are awesome programs with a diff emphasis on patient populations that you'll have access to..and all of the UC med schools have prime (best program ever if you ask me :D)...

What are you talking about. UCSF med school is only 4 spots higher than LA on US News, both are top ten. Conversely, UCLA hospital, the main rotation site, is 4 spots higher than UCSF (#3 v. #7). I don't see how UCSF is of any higher level, in name (UCLA is more widely known across all fields and the public) or in substance.

I'd say the ranking of UCLA hospital and med school will go up once they get that new hospital open. It was supposed to open when I was a med student. But who cares about ranking the more important question is which school has the hottest undergrads to hit on, UCLA hands down.:bow:

Here's an actual post from a UCLA student from last year's UCLA v. Mayo thread:

"One of the things I love about UCLA: my class is fairly easygoing and (despite the seemingly large size of the class ~150) closeknit. Everything is pass/fail which makes a huge difference: less stress during exam time, very little "cutthroat" mentality. The weather is amazing and there are so many wonderful opportunities for hiking, museums, concerts, beach outings....Most of my classmates are very well-balanced people with interests outside of medicine.

Whether Mayo vs. UCLA is a better fit for you depends on what your biggest priorities are, and what your optimal learning style is. At UCLA, there is a lot of emphasis on problem-based learning (PBL) (4 hours a week) and small group interaction. The trade-off is that, with less formal lecture time, you have to be motivated to fill in the puzzle pieces on your own. My class was the guinea pig class for the new curriculum, and I remember many of our lecturers commented that they had to cram 2-3 hours' worth of info into a 50-minute lecture after UCLA cut down the lecture time to 2 hours per day. But it works well for me because I hate sitting in lecture all day, and I remember things better if I have to do a little research on my own.

In the clinical years, we have exposure to many different types of medical settings: academic hospitals, county hospitals, VA hospitals, HMOs, private practice. You're not guaranteed to match in a California residency, but you do get more exposure to southern Cal programs (and there are some perks: for instance, all UCLA med students who are applying for Anesthesiology spots are guaranteed an interview at UCLA; of course this is not standard in other departments).

Good luck with your decision. Both are excellent programs. Get as much info as you can, and you will eventually get a sense of which one is a better fit for you."