UCLA vs. UPENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agni

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am accepted in UCLA and UPENN. I am deciding now-what to do...
Somebody can help? MAybe somebody are studying it these two schools. MAybe some advice?
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

agni said:
Somebody can help? MAybe somebody are studying it these two schools. MAybe some advice?
Thank you!!!

One of my friend is at UPENN. I think they see a lot more patients, but then living in California is worth it I guess. :luck:

Hey agni..

Congrats on getting into the 2 top most dental schools in the country!! :thumbup:
why don't you just make a search at other forums too..many interesting points raised there
Good Luck
it would be great if students having got 2-3 acceptances make up their minds faster so that students who are on the waitlist have an EQUAL chance of making it in this year.. :idea:
MAKE UP your minds soon..and CALL UP or EMAIL the schools not attending ASAP
well ..you can only attend 1 school right!!
ta

agni said:
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Toothavenue said:
Hey agni..

well ..you can only attend 1 school right!!
ta

This is exactly right. Sometimes it takes a day or two to decide, and people have a right to think over their decisions. Nobody can attend two or more schools, so those on the waiting lists will have their chance... Please, stop this panic. I know it sounds harsh, but after I saw people coming for the interviews after they have been accepted and knew which school they would be attending, this kind of talk realy makes me mad...
Agni asked for your oppinion about the schools, she knows she has to make up her mind. So if you know something that puts UCLA over UPenn, or vise versa, post it. There is no need to remind that she has to make up her mind soon.

gsk said:
Yes, it is certainly annoying to see people asking such stupid questions as which school is better than the other........even if they are looking for opinions. Get on with it!!!!!!........ and make your own decision......

Oh, so suddenly asking about the oppinion is stupid. You guys are just incredible!

Hi:
I think everybody has to make up his/her mind by themselves. The most important thing is to get into any school. I don't see anything wrong in asking about all schools and its programs.
After graduation, patients never ask where you graduate from. If you want to specialize, you then think about those schools like UCSF and UPenn.
This country needs people who care about persons and we need excellent dentists but more than that people need dentist who care about dental health more than money. Also we need a lot of foreign dentists, this country's immigrants population is growing at a fast pace and they deserve to be :love: well treated.
Good luck for everybody and not, asking others about the schools are not stupid questions!

Take care of you :luck: ,

I agree that ..the forums are all about asking opinions..and giving opinions if any..Thanks felini..u are right.. :thumbup:
Good Luck :luck:
ta

and SJ 35...what's up with you ..?? I was not asking you anything right? .or telling you anything in particular right??.Just making a general statement to all students who have accepted at more than 1 school to kindly make up their minds sooner so that others can also get into schools..Why are u taking offense to that??..beats me !! comment was not at you ..it was just a general statement asking students to make up their minds soon....excuse me well I have posted a lot of useful INFORMATION about many schools to help students out......I don't see you doing that..you don't have to be a pushover and..well... by asking students to make up their minds like many others have also posted ..asking students to make up their minds I don't think in any way we are causing any panic!..so please.. :rolleyes:
aren't you waitlisted yourself at UCLA? ..i think u are accepted at UOP right? ..and you are called at michigan?
if you were not accepted at any school and WAITLISTED..maybe you will be saying something else..SO just cool off.. :cool:
Good Luck with everything :thumbup:
ta

felini said:
Hi:
I think everybody has to make up his/her mind by themselves. The most important thing is to get into any school. I don't see anything wrong in asking about all schools and its programs.
After graduation, patients never ask where you graduate from. If you want to specialize, you then think about those schools like UCSF and UPenn.
This country needs people who care about persons and we need excellent dentists but more than that people need dentist who care about dental health more than money. Also we need a lot of foreign dentists, this country's immigrants population is growing at a fast pace and they deserve to be :love: well treated.
Good luck for everybody and not, asking others about the schools are not stupid questions!

Take care of you :luck: ,

GSK, please do not make such inflammatory statements. People are confused about which school to join and given the amount of money and significance this decision can have, its natural they want to get as much opinions as possible.

On the other hand, people on the W/L are waiting to move on and thats also a cause of some pressure on those who have to wait between many schools.

SJ35 said:
This is exactly right. Sometimes it takes a day or two to decide, and people have a right to think over their decisions. Nobody can attend two or more schools, so those on the waiting lists will have their chance... Please, stop this panic. I know it sounds harsh, but after I saw people coming for the interviews after they have been accepted and knew which school they would be attending, this kind of talk realy makes me mad...
Agni asked for your oppinion about the schools, she knows she has to make up her mind. So if you know something that puts UCLA over UPenn, or vise versa, post it. There is no need to remind that she has to make up her mind soon.

I'll second that. It is very annoying why some people are just constantly forcing others to rush their decisions in every acceptance thread out there. Everyone has a lot at stake here & the ppl accepted by 2 or more universities didnt just pay for their interview/travel expenses so they could brag about how many schools they got into. They deserve all the time that the school has given them to make & re-think their decision before they rush into it based on some ill advice.

<Edited bold caption comment out> :)

FYI... Schools that have given a deadline to accepted students for paying down payment of tuition have done that for a reason. So that they have a single point after which they can make all their alternate list calls. Do you really believe that everytime a student turns down a school (prior to deadline) that the school is going to say lets call one more person today. Maybe that is true somewhere but I find it hard to believe it to be the case everywhere.

Hi

I think we all need to take a DEEP breath and just cool down a little bit.

I have been on the waitlist and know how bad it can be. But I would ask all those on the w/l to be calm and bid their time. You will eventually get in somewhere. Please remember that if you are on the w/l then that obviously means that the schools did see something favourable in you. So may be next year u might make it in the first list itself.

I will be forced to close this thread it things get really hot.

Toothavenue, I think I over reacted a bit with my comment. I understand your point and I have been in a waitlist before, but as you said yourself, you can only attend one school. So after deciding which one we will choose, we inform oter schools about our decision. Like I informed UCLA that I want off their waitlist, or UMich that I will not be attending their interview.
Once again, I am sorry. Good luck to you.

There is no need to offend each other or make comments on nationality. Cool off, people, an just post your oppinions about UCLA or Upenn. Peace.

No problem.. SJ35,
Just trying to help students out that's all..with points about schools.. :)
I wish you the very best at school. :thumbup:
Best :luck:
ta

SJ35 said:
Toothavenue, I think I over reacted a bit with my comment. I understand your point and I have been in a waitlist before, but as you said yourself, you can only attend one school. So after deciding which one we will choose, we inform oter schools about our decision. Like I informed UCLA that I want off their waitlist, or UMich that I will not be attending their interview.

SJ35 said:

There is no need to offend each other or make comments on nationality. Cool off, people, an just post your oppinions about UCLA or Upenn. Peace.

Great Job SJ35. i am Impressed.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job both of you. :thumbup:

SJ35,

I'm also.. impressed and feel nice that you took some time out to really understand the plight of students on the waitlist.. :thumbup:

and Toothavenue is really nice and very helpful --- taking time out and really helping out students and posting some excellent points about schools.. :thumbup:
I don't see anyone doing that here..!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Keep up the good work toothavenue..and there is absolutely nothing wrong in requesting students accepted at multiple schools to decide a little faster..after all it has been OVER 1 month since many schools declared results and I don't think anyone needs a whole lot of time to decide where they want to go ..!!! :cool:

Good Luck everyone :thumbup:
gn

SJ35 said:

Cool off, people, an just post your oppinions about UCLA or Upenn. Peace.

..and there is absolutely nothing wrong in requesting students accepted at multiple schools to decide a little faster..after all it has been OVER 1 month since many schools declared results and I don't think anyone needs a whole lot of time to decide where they want to go ..!!!

Believe me, we decide and we inform, but schools have their own pace... Which neither you or me can control.

BDS-DMD said:
I will be forced to close this thread it things get really hot.

Too rash.Looks like you are too high on closing the threads.I do not see the reason you closed the thread by Perizad .

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=246946

I do not feel its a nice way to welcome a member.We all started naive, not knowing much about the forum.Closing a thread does not send a very positive message to the new comers.Moreover the forum is an interactive forum.We all have an access to information about ECE ,ADA and the schools at the respective websites.The reason we choose the forum is for our convenience and the answers according to the kind of information we want.

Well Mr.Moderator,Moderation is the best.
I am sure members would agree to me.

May be you have a point.

Everybody is trying too hard to be politically correct these days....

How about going back to the basic subject of this thread? Agni, what are you planning to do. I am at Penn myself so if you need any info, feel free to get in touch with me.

Congrats on both your acceptances by the way.

gsk said:
Everybody is trying too hard to be politically correct these days....
Yep......just another word for "mind-your-own-bloody- business-yet-stick-to-the-rules."......

Its always the survival of the fittest.

Hi, BDS-DMD,

i did not realize that you are at Penn now. I am thinking about whehter or not to accept their kind offer now?

since u r there, what do u think about this school and the specialty program?

I post a thread called "UCSF vs. UPENN" yesterday, so you can either leave a your message over there or here.

many thanks!

BDS-DMD said:
How about going back to the basic subject of this thread? Agni, what are you planning to do. I am at Penn myself so if you need any info, feel free to get in touch with me.

Congrats on both your acceptances by the way.

Hey Dentahill

Good Luck with your decisions :thumbup:
best
ta

dentalhill said:
Hi, BDS-DMD,

i did not realize that you are at Penn now. I am thinking about whehter or not to accept their kind offer now?

I post a thread called "UCSF vs. UPENN" yesterday, so you can either leave a your message over there or here.

many thanks!

dentalhill said:
Hi, BDS-DMD,

many thanks!

Hi dentalhill,
CONGRATES FOR YOUR FOUR ACCEPTANCES....UCSF, UPENN, UCLA and BU
Can please post your part 1 score, gpa and TOEFL and which day are you interviewed at BU?
I know afterall everybody will have to select one school, but after deciding please do not forget to post your seleced school on SDN.