UCLA vs USC vs UCI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaguy32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
where would you go if accepted to all three?

Members don't see this ad.

uclaguy32 said:
UCLA:
Best med center.
Less asians than UCI.
Better neighborhood than SC and loads cheaper.
Best bioeng research out of the 3.

I started a UCD vs. USC. UCI a while back...that was probably the best comparison (w/Davis also) as far as being almost equally ranked. They all have great research and good locations (Yes, USC's medical campus is great, and sacramento is also a great location). I think it all end up on personal preference and where you want to stay...Same goes for UCLA and UCSF...personal preference...

Members don't see this ad :)
uclaguy32 said:

are you talking about for undergrad or med school? cuz if its the latter is a no-brainer
-mota

Bluntman said:
UCLA:
Less asians than UCI.

???

anyway, UCLA or UCI give you more for your money

I agree with ANYSTREAM.
University of
Caucasians
Lost-Among
Asians

But UCLA is a nice place to be. Kind of discorganized, but it still has it's perks. It's an intellectually exciting campus...but it's dead on the weekends. No one is here. And Westwood is nicer than the sh-t hole USC is in. UCI is too isolated. But the campus is nice and they have money. UCLA has more money though, and I think it's a 1000X more exciting research wise.

Napoleon4000 said:
I agree with ANYSTREAM.
University of
Caucasians
Lost-Among
Asians

But UCLA is a nice place to be. Kind of discorganized, but it still has it's perks. It's an intellectually exciting campus...but it's dead on the weekends. No one is here. And Westwood is nicer than the sh-t hole USC is in. UCI is too isolated. But the campus is nice and they have money. UCLA has more money though, and I think it's a 1000X more exciting research wise.

I agree that USC's undergrad campus is in a sh*thole location, but the med school is pretty nice. I was there today and was impressed. It's no westwood, but it's not exactly a sh*thole either.

If I got in to both UCLA and SC, I would probably go to UCLA just because of the reputation, but I think I would enjoy Keck a lot more.

Keck is not in a bad location...its perfect because the population is so diverse...I think you would great clinical experience there. Plus you can live in Pasadena or something which is decent enough.

Ok. I apologize. I was talking about the USC undergrad. But it doesn't matter. Both schools are good. I have a bias towards UCLA.

letmein!please? said:
I agree that USC's undergrad campus is in a sh*thole location, but the med school is pretty nice. I was there today and was impressed. It's no westwood, but it's not exactly a sh*thole either.

USC's campus is just a couple miles from skid row, the absolute worst location in Los Angeles. Keck's campus is decent, alright, but let's just say you wouldn't want to walk far from the campus at night.

If your a wuss...I am am not scurred or deterred b/c of location...I think you get great experience while working with the underserved...however, you need to work with people from all backgrounds/upbringings to get the best education and be able to work with all kinds of people when you get out of med school. I am kidding about being a wuss, I understand ppls concerns about shady areas.

You should go to UCLA in a landslide.

Bluntman said:
UCLA:
Best med center.
Less asians than UCI.
Better neighborhood than SC and loads cheaper.
Best bioeng research out of the 3.

I would goto UCLA. There's nothing wrong with having many asians though.

Napoleon4000 said:
I agree with ANYSTREAM.
University of
Caucasians
Lost-Among
Asians

no no my ???'s were in response to someone's comment about UCI having too many asians, which was said as though it was a negative point about the school.

my asian friends call me an egg, white on the outside but...

Ok. I see. I heard this in a cab one day on the way back from a Dodger's game anyway. Not meant as an insult to anyone. Same cabby said:

University of
Spoiled
Children

UCLA hand's down...unless you get one from the big H.