UCLA Year of Math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anteater14

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This topic has come up in previous years - wondering if anyone has dealt with it recently ---

Got a 5 on AP Calc AB and ended up only taking one quarter of calculus and one quarter of statistics. Unfortunately that is still one quarter shy of a full year - anyone in the same boat? Did you need to go back and complete a quarter of math?

Members don't see this ad.

yea i got a 5 on BC and i have no idea what to do. im taking stats, math 3c and :confused: I HATE this policy!!!

Aw, come on, math isn't so bad. Sounds like all you've had is pure - try some applied.

If you have a decent math department, look for classes like game theory, history of math (this was a writing class at my school), combinatorics. (One quarter of real analysis, with a good professor, will stretch your brain in ways that never heal, but it's all pure, no applications whatsoever.)

Look at early grad-level math-related classes in genomics, pathobiology, epidemiology etc. and see if they count.

Maybe do a quarter of independent research with somebody who needs to model something. Social behaviors, clinical side effects, etc. This could be really useful. Don't get too excited about any particular programming language. It. Doesn't. Matter.

Two last words: PROTEIN FOLDING.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the same situation, so this quarter im in Program in Computing 10A, basically a C++ class, its pretty cool and it satisfies teh math requirement. I'd recommend it for a chill, "fun" class.

This topic has come up in previous years - wondering if anyone has dealt with it recently ---

Got a 5 on AP Calc AB and ended up only taking one quarter of calculus and one quarter of statistics. Unfortunately that is still one quarter shy of a full year - anyone in the same boat? Did you need to go back and complete a quarter of math?

biostats100a. easiest class ever.

oops - graduated already - you think a quick course at a JC over the summer will make them happy?

I am in the same boat (AP Calc, university calculus - 1 quarter, and university statistics - 1 quarter). This is enough for me to get my major... but I called UCLA about 3 months ago and they said I DO need one more quarter of university math :( But at least it doesn't have to be taken before I apply.