UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zsarnat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take UCLA to notify you of their decision (interview/rejection) after you submitted your secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't know since they've just been sittin' on my 2dary for a month-and-a-half after I submitted (kinda like I sat on it for a month when they sent it to me. Oops.) I haven't heard about much in the way of rejections from LA, so I don't think much has been going on. It'll start soon I suspect. ;)

Yo! I interviewed at UCLA a couple of weeks ago. It was about 4 weeks from secondary to interview request. However, I wouldn't be worried because I know a lot of other really qualified people who are still waiting. Also, they have been sending out rejections (my friend got rejected) so for now, no news is good news!

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA has received my secondaryand letters of rec. however, on the appliction status section there is no date or note.is this the same for others?

I feel like the UCLA spokesperson. But to answer your question, as long as the top three lines say "received" (for UC App, Secondary, and Letters) then you are complete. I wondered about the same thing, but I called the admissions office and they assured me that if the top three say received then the application is complete and in review.

Best of luck

Damn it's sad that UCLA hasn't/won't send me a secondary. I've been fortunate with the overwhelming number of out of state schools regarding interviews even an acceptance, plus two other Cali interviews BUT NO LOVE FROM UCLA?! My premed advisor once sat in with the UCLA ad comm and he said the talks revolved around really high stats and research experience. Is UCLA this shallow?

Whar are you guy's stats and research experience if you don't mind sharing? Mine are average for admitted students nation-wide. No research, but work as a child counselor.

Originally posted by jmejia1:
[QB]Damn it's sad that UCLA hasn't/won't send me a secondary. I've been fortunate with the overwhelming number of out of state schools regarding interviews even an acceptance, plus two other Cali interviews BUT NO LOVE FROM UCLA?! My premed advisor once sat in with the UCLA ad comm and he said the talks revolved around really high stats and research experience. Is UCLA this shallow?

Yeah, high stats and research experience are really shallow. I guess this sort of statement can be expected from someone like yourself who has neither.

Wow, Toobsllik, starting your SDN career with a bang. I think you might have been looking for the TPR forum.

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know the average turn-around time from interview to decision at UCLA?

ouch toobllsk! I won't ask what the problem is, but can the attitude....

Wow, toobsllik. Don't expect too much empathy around here with that attitude.

Not everyone has great statistics, nor has everyone faced the same challenges in getting to where we are now. But we're all hoping to dedicate ourselves to helping others, and being belligerent won't help at all.

Take a deep breath, pal. :)

Yeah jmejia1, you might be on to something. It appears that I was sent a 2dary based only on my August MCAT scores (35Q). When I called after receiving it, they informed me that the only thing in my file was my MCATs, so that should mean they based their decision on the scores. Take this w/a grain of salt though b/c I have been gettin' weird details about what is and isn't in my file for a couple mos now. The rest of my app, including GPA, isn't strong. I don't think this cleared much up for you, but that was my experience.

If you haven't been rejected yet, you're still in the hunt, and that's a good thing. ;)

Originally posted by jmejia1:
•Whar are you guy's stats and research experience if you don't mind sharing? Mine are average for admitted students nation-wide. No research, but work as a child counselor.•••

I'm too sure about that research/stats thing. I have 5+ years of research exp, and you may know my stats - and I'm in the same boat as you. They've had my initial app since August and I've heard nothing. I am 28 though, so that may be why.

Andrew

Originally posted by Joseph Reses:
•ouch toobllsk! I won't ask what the problem is, but can the attitude....•••

Perhaps you didn't read the post by Jmejia1. "Oh, I've had two Cali interviews, numerous out-of-state interview offers, etc. I'm so good. I can't believe UCLA didn't send me a secondary." What kind of response did you expect?
Incidentally, UCLA is hardly numbers-obsessed. Look at the large percentage of low-MCAT URMs they admit each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
toobsllik: what is ur problem? there is no need for that.

on a different note, ive been told that ucla like them young. i dont know if that's true or not. but i work at ucla md center and from the looks of it, the med students do seem kind of young.

i have also been inside the adm office at ucla. i went in to turn something in. the lady took the note and put it in a file cab in my file. but what was kind of strange was that this big cab with all these files in it was away from the office area. kind of like the unwanted files. :(

C U in MD school, those files could also be in a separate area so they're more secure. Don't give up hope yet. :p

AmateurChef: that's what i would have thought, but the file cab is next to the door as you walk into the office. it's not even with all the other cabs in the back. :)

hey if anyone gets an interview there, could you please look up my file since the cab is also in the waiting area. and plz give me a call. let me know what is going on. or better yet, just stop by my office down the hall and say hi with a secondary in your hand.

Originally posted by toobsllik:

Perhaps you didn't read the post by Jmejia1. "Oh, I've had two Cali interviews, numerous out-of-state interview offers, etc. I'm so good. I can't believe UCLA didn't send me a secondary." What kind of response did you expect?
Incidentally, UCLA is hardly numbers-obsessed. Look at the large percentage of low-MCAT URMs they admit each year.•••

toobsllik, you'll find that the vast majority of SDN members are humble, non-condescending individuals. if you're looking for a community to scapegoat URMS with comments like: "Look at the large percentage of low-MCAT URMs they admit each year", or a place to offer condescending remarks as opposed to constructive critisim, many will agree with me that you need to look for another forum.

apparently you were the only one to confuse the tone of my statement whereas everyone else was dishearted by your attitude. UCLA is in my backyard, so I was really hoping to hear from them. I mention being fortunate with other schools in no way to sound like "I'm so good" but that maybe UCLA should've given me an opportunity.

about the shallow comment, really high stats and excellent research experience is admirable, but when these two factors are weighed much much more heavily relative to extracurrics, letters of rec, essays and motivation, then that's kinda shallow if you ask me. of course, maybe my advisor exaggerated about his observation, but I'm simply going on what he told me.

I agree with joe, there's no need for such cold-hearted remarks by toobsllik. We all want to be MDs for whatever reason it might be. However, I believe that a high GPA and MCAT scores are not enough to predict how much success a student will have in med school and his/her medical profession. But what I do believe in is that a person's attitude towards others (specially someone they don't even know) is a good predictor in the type of attitude he/she will have towards patients. Let's just cool it down....and write stuff relevant to the original question posted by zsarnat....NO NEWS FROM UCLA HERE ZSARNAT and my UC Supp has been complete since late august....

...."It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

It took about a month after my app was complete for UCLA to send me a secondary, and another month after I completed my secondary for an interview invite. I have a strong MCAT score, but near zero research experience.

Don't get too worried just yet. I interviewed in the middle of Dec. and my interviewer told me that UCLA is very early in the interviewing process. The interviewer said something to the effect that they had interviewed so few applicants thus far that it probably would not be worth it for the ad com to meet to do any first round decision making until mid-Jan.

Good luck! and remember, it seems that UCLA is behind this year, and like others have said...no news so far is good news!

Remember, this whole process is enough to crush the most resilient of spirits. Please try not to live or die by one school or another. There is too much chance involved here to want just one school.

As for UCLA, it took about 1.5 months to get a secondary, then about 1 month to get an interview. My interview was the worst of my three UC interviews so far.

I have a little research experience (not bench research, but Public Health research), good MCATs, a grad degree, and I am 29 years old. I do not think I will get in there because of my interview, but I think I cut across a few of the areas mentioned earlier as to why UCLA might not be looking at some folks.

Also remember, this year is delayed big time. You could almost consider it about .5 to 1 month delayed. Hang in there.

toobsllik, you'll find that the vast majority of SDN members are humble, non-condescending individuals. ••

Yeah right. I have not seen much humility here. I mostly see " should I pick Yale or Stanford?" or "should my mommy or daddy pay for my schooling?"

Yeah right. I have not seen much humility here. I mostly see " should I pick Yale or Stanford?" or "should my mommy or daddy pay for my schooling?" ••

Nah, I wouldn't have kept using a site like what you describe b/c that kinda dialogue would've drove me nuts. Most of the people that use this forum are kicking and scratching to get in anywhere. There may not be enough humility, but there's plenty of empathy and commiseration and that's what the people that use this site are after.

Yeah right. I have not seen much humility here. I mostly see " should I pick Yale or Stanford?" or "should my mommy or daddy pay for my schooling?"[/QB]••

Maybe you have SDN confused with TPR?? :confused:

A lot of us are struggling to pay for our own education, and it is perfectly normal to be a little envious of other people's successes, but there is no need to be mean.

If you read through some posts, I think that you will find that most people at SDN are down to earth, supportive and helpful (except for me.. right? ;) )

Originally posted by Jessica:

Maybe you have SDN confused with TPR?? :confused: •••

What is TPR?

My wife is an ESL (english as a second language) teacher and TPR is a teaching method (total physical response) and it also it the acronym for Texas Public Radio, but I doubt that is what is meant here. :)

The Princeton Review

That's cool Epi. My mom teaches a couple ESL classes in junior high. It's a noble, needed endeavor.

As far as acronyms, they're definitely becoming more ubiquitous w/all this typed communication crap. A friend of mine took a class dedicated to acronyms a couple yrs ago. Said it was pretty fascinating (its's a real battle to design cool acronyms LASER vs. GATT y'know?)