UCONN dent students...can you help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhamtse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I just got my acceptance letter from UCONN, and I have pretty much made up my mind to take it and cancel my other interviews. But before I do that...I would love to hear what you guys really think about the school. Someone was saying that it is a waste to go there if you are not planning on specializing. This really worries me....is that really true? Please help.
Thanks...LT

Members don't see this ad.

it is one of the best schols i nthe country , go with closed eyes............

Hi LT,

The answer to your question depends on your personality. I'm a first year here at UConn and while I love it despite the fact that I feel like I'm struggling (maybe I'm a masochist.........lol), I can tell you that there are definitely students who regret coming here. We have a cluster of students who just don't want to work this hard (I'm not making a judgment here.........you CAN get a DMD/DDS elsewhere with less work). It's also very easy to underestimate what the workload will be like prior to getting here, hence all the warnings you get from the school during the interview.

I likely will not specialize and knew that before coming here to UConn. So why did I choose this school? For a number of reasons. First, I do want to keep the option of specializing open to me. I don't know a great deal about the dental specialties yet and, if I decide that pursuing one of them will fulfill me, I want to be able to do so.

Also, we are getting an education here that can't be beat. I view that as a privilege. Yes, we get a full medical education for the first two years. And, perhaps some of it goes beyond what we will need to function as dentists. Still, I wanted the challenge and feel privileged for all the additional material we are learning. Sometimes it's very hard to preserve this attitude though. Right before exams I become entirely frazzled and quite difficult to live with. Sometimes I cannot believe all we are expected to know and the level of detail they want us to learn. It seems humanly impossible, but then you cast your doubts aside, keep studying your darn butt off, and pull a passing score. It feels wonderful when you succeed. I sincerely believe that what I'm struggling through right now will help me develop a discipline that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Lastly, since coming here, I've found that I really like my classmates. I was afraid of coming here and finding snobby, aloof students.............that has not been the case. The class is small and I feel like we are all rooting for each other. The faculty, too, are great. They are eager to help you and that includes providing a shoulder to cry on when you feel like you aren't going to make it. I've had nothing but positive interactions with everyone since I've been here.

Hope that helps a bit. I know this is a huge decision. Let me know if you have more questions.

Margaret

Members don't see this ad :)
What courses do you have to take during your first semester at UCONN?

Hey all...thank you so much for all your sincere responses..I really appreciate all your comments. I also want to keep my options open...you know you can't always have everything in life...I guess UCONN's low tuition fee and the small class size makes up for the "extremely hard" courses, as Dr. Tibedhoue (spelling??) puts it. By the way, does anyone have his e-mail address? I am not going to think about it too much for the next few days...I will make a decision after my finals are over. Thanks again.
LT

hey IDMD, who are you?

i am getting sick of studying and just can't wait this crap is over next monday!

I have a few more questions.
-How do you guys feel about the PBL integration in your classes? It sounded cool at the orientation, I just want to know what you all think.
-I also read somewhere that most of the class is usually only a few points away from failing their classes and remediation. :eek: That can't be true, is it? Oh man, we're gonna get rocked! :laugh:

Thanks to all of you for the advice that you give us! Can't say that enough. And best of luck with your studying and exams. Sounds like you guys need it... :D

Cheers

Hey Tiramisu,

I see you're from Cali too. Would you happen to know what the passing rate for the Cali Boards are from UConn? I'd like to return out here, but I've heard that it's really really low for most East Coast schools.

How much dental stuff do you guys do in the afternoons, meaning how long do your classes go? By dental classes-I take it you mean the technique courses like operative/crown and bridge and other courses such as oral path, radiology, etc? How much labwork do you guys have? Also, how many practicals do you guys have in operative/crown and bridge? Are your practicals graded pass/fail like written exams? Do you feel like you're not learning as much dentistry as you would at a more clinical school?

I interviewed at UCONN and was not accepted, but I'm glad that I came to Tufts(Dr. Thibodeau's alma mater-he's a D'75 from here). From what I've read and from what I remember from my UCONN interview, I'm not spending as much time in basic sciences. Last year we had gross 9-1 3 days a week and biochem 2-4 2 days a week in the fall and histo 1-5 3 days and physio 11-12 4 days.

Mike

Hi Loudy,
sorry to get back to your post so late, I just got out of the exam and F**K that was hard!!! Anyways, i don't have an answer to your questions, but I think most of us Cali boys graduating from east coast school usually go back to Cali to do a year of GPR or AEGD so that you are familiar with west coast styles or west coast procedures. I am not sure what the differences are and I don't know what the criterias for passing the licensure exam. I've also heard that there are classes you can take in cali to prepare Dental graduates for Cali licensure, you might have to check on that!!

IDMD,
what did you think about the test??

IDMD,
haha, i felt the same way!!! At least i am getting my ass back home to cali this wed morning... should have got a one way trip tix... i just might not come back!! By the way, I still dunno who you are... leave me your intiail here buddy!! Homeostasis is way more harder and that's what everyone else said.... i might have to bring books back too... damn... anyways... good luck and have a nice break, cuz we need it.

<b>lhamtse</B>...please email me and I will let you talk to 1st and 2nd yr UConn students directly via phone, one of my good buds is there now. He can give you a great perspective on it all.