UCONN for CT residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quietclimber14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if CT residents have a favorable advantage over non-residents at UCONN?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yes :)

the end

there's a certain percentage that have to be admitted as CT residents by state regulations...i'm not sure, but it's a really high number...85% maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
uh yeah, major advantage to be a resident

Yes, being a CT resident does give an advantage at UConn. Except, I would argue, if you are a white male. UConn has a SMALL class size (in the past four years class sizes have been in the 70's). The percentage of in-state students has ranged from 72-80%. The overall percentage of minority students (both URM and otherwise) for the 2005 class was 37%. But perhaps the most striking characteristic is the dramatic upswing in the number of female matriculants. Ususally, it has been about 64%, but for 2005, it was 71%. If this trend continues, you can do the math for what your "chances" may be.

In addition to increasing proportions of females and URMs, a significant proportion of med/dent students at UConn are from Ivy League schools.

Sundarban1 said:
**** UConn
what's wrong with UCONN...? :idea:

When I'm ready, It will be on my list of schools to apply...

DocteurMarion said:
what's wrong with UCONN...? :idea:

When I'm ready, It will be on my list of schools to apply...

There's nothing "wrong" with UConn... it's a great school, and as a CT resident, of course you should apply. Just realize that with the trends in matriculant populations, that all things being equal, UConn is one of the more difficult state schools at which to gain admission IMO.

UCONN is a geat school. I would definitely recommend that you apply.

The high percentage of females in the matriculating class is based upon more females applying to the school and the ADCOM finding a higher percentage of female applicants that they felt would best fit at UCONN. If you are a qualified applicant there is no reason to not apply based upon this. With only 70-80 spaces for the class there will always be many qualified applicants who unfortunately are rejected. This is true of any med school.

In my class there are plenty of students who graduated form non-Ivy schools. Many of my clasmates went to well-known undergrad schools, but others completed undegrad at state and lesser known schools.

Definitely apply to UCONN. As with any med school in the US, gaining admission is tough and a bit of a crapshoot. Being a state resident is a bonus and the in-state tuition is much cheaper than what you would pay at a private school.

not to be dense, but what is IMO (microgin) and URM (PublicHealth)?

Thanks!

i am all about uconn med. i just plan on moving through the uconn system!

PublicHealth said:
increasing proportions of females .

hmm...as a single female, i think this fact def earns UCONN a minus five points in my book :laugh: oh well, maybe i'll like the school when i interview this friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
LadyBulldog: PM me if you have any questions about UCONN and I hope your interview goes well. I am a married female so I can't relay how difficult the female/male ratio makes finding a decent guy to date!

LadyBulldog said:
hmm...as a single female, i think this fact def earns UCONN a minus five points in my book :laugh: oh well, maybe i'll like the school when i interview this friday.

I'm def excited about my UConn interview and after hearing about the ratio issues I believe they get +5 points in my book . . . in all seriousness I have a friend there who loves it, looking forward to seeing the place.

brienene said:
not to be dense, but what is IMO (microgin) and URM (PublicHealth)?

Thanks!

IMO = In my opinion

URM = Under-represented minority

beanbean said:
With only 70-80 spaces for the class there will always be many qualified applicants who unfortunately are rejected. This is true of any med school.
yeah...I met with K.Sanford last year and he kinda made me understand that my fulltime work + 2 classes/sem was not really strong, as they wanna see people with a "full load of classes"/sem :mad:
yeah like working fulltime + volunteering + taking classes is not a full load :eek:

He kinda turned off on this and I have to admit I have the impression that they are not a "friendly" non trad school.

Again I might be wrong but this is just my feeling. :(

beanbean said:
The high percentage of females in the matriculating class is based upon more females applying to the school

This is simply not true. In 2004 according to the AAMC UConn had roughly 2,400 applicants of which 48% were male. However their class that year was 63% female. With the 2005 class ratio being even more slanted (71%female) I fail to see your logic.

This is a pattern that is obviously a result of a shift in what the ADCOM feels is best for the school (significantly higher % of females), which is fine, they are a public school and can do whatever they please. However to try to say that the school receives less applicantions from qualified males is simply untrue and is not backed up by any hard stats.

DocteurMarion said:
yeah...I met with K.Sanford last year and he kinda made me understand that my fulltime work + 2 classes/sem was not really strong, as they wanna see people with a "full load of classes"/sem :mad:
yeah like working fulltime + volunteering + taking classes is not a full load :eek:

He kinda turned off on this and I have to admit I have the impression that they are not a "friendly" non trad school.

Yeah, I'm getting that same impression. The 2005 class does not have any individuals over the age of 30. Perhaps this year's class is just a fluke in many ways (avg. age, % of females) and not truly reflective of the school as a whole. I believe beanbean is a non-trad... perhaps she can comment on the openness to non-trads overall.

microgin said:
Yeah, I'm getting that same impression. The 2005 class does not have any individuals over the age of 30. Perhaps this year's class is just a fluke in many ways (avg. age, % of females) and not truly reflective of the school as a whole. I believe beanbean is a non-trad... perhaps she can comment on the openness to non-trads overall.
At the time I will apply i'll be 30~31 years old :eek:

BeanBean we wanna hear from you...

:p Cheer us up on UCONN :thumbup:

DocteurMarion said:
At the time I will apply i'll be 30~31 years old :eek:

BeanBean we wanna hear from you...

:p Cheer us up on UCONN :thumbup:

You can cut the pie in many pieces, as big as you want, but the pie is still the pie no matter how you cut it. As pretty a picture as you want to hear, the numbers don't lie.

Yes there are non-trads, yes there are older applicants, etc. all in the class. But the class is like 70 people! How much diversity can you have in each class? Only a handful of each. And those people lucky enough to be accepted often have close ties to the school, like beany. She took post bacc classes at the school before she was accepted to their PB progream, after being rejected the first time around.

The fact that the class is so small, combined with more competative applicants means more competition for those few spots, as bean pointed out.
Fine, thats typical. But for a state school you would think they would have a more level playing field, however it's obvious the field is not level for all demographics. So, there you have it. No cherry on top for anyone :mad:

Sundarban1 said:
And those people lucky enough to be accepted often have close ties to the school, like beany. She took post bacc classes at the school before she was accepted to their PB progream, after being rejected the first time around.

:mad: Should I forget about UCONN now?

Does Yale like Old farts better :scared:

DocteurMarion said:

You'll never know how you will personally fare in the admission process unless you try for yourself. All of us are just stating the statistics.... besides who knows what the class makeup will be like whenever you apply??

microgin said:

if that is the case, does anyone have a sense of which schools *are* more open to/encouraging of non-trad (27 yrs old) applicants? anyone have any experiences or stories they can share such as this one?

Current MS2 at gtown, CT resident, white male.

I applied two years in a row to uconn, waitlisted "third tier" both times (which, so you know is courtesy waitlist and you have no chance of acceptance). It was very harsh. Interviews both times, went OUT OF MY WAY to be friendly and let everyone know uconn was my #1 and be friendly to the dean and such so he would know me personally. Letters, connections etc.... nothing.

I have to agree with what everyone is saying about the URM+women vs. white males. Math doesnt lie, and the reason this is happening is that they are trying to have 50% women 50% men TOTAL STUDENTS, through all four classes. which is a wierd concept, especially since the individual classes will be so non proportional.

Not to take anything away from uconn, I just did not get in. I would have gone, it seems like an awesome school and its cheap. So its worth the application.

ANyway, as an average applicant relying on good ecs, i found CT to be one of the worst schools to be applying from. All you have is uconn and yale with priority, and I am not sure which one is harder to get into considering the white male factor with average numbers. Both are incredibly hard anyway, CT is the worst state. I would say apply to lots private schools. Gtown, NYMC, GW, Boston schools, even private schools further away so you stand out.

DocteurMarion said:

No, I'd certainly apply. Again, it's a great school and nobody is doubting that. However even as a state resident you have to have exceptional stats to be competative here, wereas at most other state schools the stats are lower for in state vs out of state. Since the class size is so small and with the number of qualified applicants, that pretty much negates any in state advantage you may have vs. other in state applicants.

Just don't bet on having a great shot at your "state school" if you are from CT. The numbers accurately depict what UConn is "looking for" no matter what anyone else may try to feed you.

DocteurMarion said:

If I may ask you when did you see the dean or when is the best time to contact the schools since they are in the middle of interview season? Also I would like to ask Sundarban what are the stats opf the urm's accepted? Thanks for any replies

Premed2500 said:
If I may ask you when did you see the dean or when is the best time to contact the schools since they are in the middle of interview season? Also I would like to ask Sundarban what are the stats opf the urm's accepted? Thanks for any replies

I met with him in Dec 2004 - Email him directly, you can find his email on UCONN med school web site.

Good Luck :luck:

hey, I'm a second year at UConn, its a great school. As a female I def say guys please apply. Uconn is actually a friendly non-trad school. I am a CT resident, went to a really tiny not well known college and came straight out from college. I am probably the youngest person at my school. The majority of the class is "non-traditional" in some manner: previous career, took few years off after college, post-bac etc. There are a lot of people from well known schools but also kids like me from good but relatively unknown schools too. The admin is super friendly and supportive. I realize it is really tough to get in, but as someone else said its kinda a crap shoot. Seeing interviewees last year I realized how qualified everyone is and I can't see any general criteria the admin committee seeks. anyways good luck, apply for the hell of it, you may be surprised even if you are a white non-trad male. And heads up, if you have the chance to do research here or do a summer fellowship program here it totally helps your application.

DocteurMarion said:
I met with him in Dec 2004 - Email him directly, you can find his email on UCONN med school web site.

Good Luck :luck:

Thank you so much. He actually met with you in the middle of the application cycle that was nice. Did you bring transcripts how did you present yourself if you dont mind sharing?

Premed2500 said:
Thank you so much. He actually met with you in the middle of the application cycle that was nice. Did you bring transcripts how did you present yourself if you dont mind sharing?

I remember meeting with him around dec 14~18 LAST YEAR.

I am a non trad (28) and in the middle of completing my pre-req AND my bachelors. I also work full time in software development.

I spoke with him about my stituation and the fact I was a non trad etc...He was quite nice. I remember preparing a list of questions I wanted to ask him so that I would not forget. I did not bring transcripts or anything since at the time I had not taken many science classes yet.

Again he kinda stressed the fact that ADCOM wanna see applicants with a "full load" of classes/sem. I felt my full time work + 2classes/sem would not impress them much. It turned me off. :mad:

Everyone's app and background is different. Right now, financially, I can NOT quit my job so I will continue do both school and work...

And after all UCONN is not the only school to apply, right?

Good luck to you!!!!!! :luck:and come back to let us know how it went!

DocteurMarion said:
I remember meeting with him around dec 14~18 LAST YEAR.

I am a non trad (28) and in the middle of completing my pre-req AND my bachelors. I also work full time in software development.

I spoke with him about my stituation and the fact I was a non trad etc...He was quite nice. I remember preparing a list of questions I wanted to ask him so that I would not forget. I did not bring transcripts or anything since at the time I had not taken many science classes yet.

Again he kinda stressed the fact that ADCOM wanna see applicants with a "full load" of classes/sem. I felt my full time work + 2classes/sem would not impress them much. It turned me off. :mad:

Everyone's app and background is different. Right now, financially, I can NOT quit my job so I will continue do both school and work...

And after all UCONN is not the only school to apply, right?

Good luck to you!!!!!! :luck:and come back to let us know how it went!
Thanks will do. See with me I am also a 24 year old non trad married with two children and I used to work fulltime. I currently quit this past summer but like you I was unable to carry full course loads due to my employment obligations so I carried anywhere from 10-13 credits per semester. I currently started my post bac and I am taking 14 credits of pure sciences. I am planning on taking 17 credits next semester and hopefully a year worth of science will convince them. What did he suggest you do to prove yourself just curious. Anyway thanks for all your responses.

To refute Sundarban partially quoting me: I listed the two reasons I was given by two ADCOM members as to why the current MS1 class has such a high percentage of females.

1) larger number of female applicants
2) In the overall applicant pool of qualified applicants they found more women than men who seemed to be a good fit for UCONN.

There is no anti-male conspiracy at work here.

Med school admissions at any school is a complex process. There will always be qualified applicants who are rejected from schools. So what does UCONN look for besides the obvious competitive MCAT and gpa stats? All I can say is that each of my classmates is very unique but together we mesh together into a strong unit. I remember hearing the bios of my classmates during the white coat ceremony and being blown away about the amazing things they had done. There were musicans, poets, writers, peace corp veterans, business professionals, volunteers and leaders of many undergrad organizations. My class is racially, sexually, religously and ethnically diverse. I respect UCONN for not trying to balance the class with 50/50 men/woman. There are many other factors besides gender which determine how create a cohesive class who will grow and learn together to become doctors.

I resent the implication that I was admitted to UCONN because of connections with the school. I had no connections to UCONN except for enrolling in prereq classes as a continuing student at the Storrs and West Hartford campus locations. I was admitted to the post-bacc program after being rejected on my first application. Maintaining a 4.0 post-bacc gpa, my 33 MCAT, 17 yrs of volunteer EMS experience, my previous work experience as a biomedical engineer in hospital, and LORs from professors and physicians whom I shadowed with all contributed to my acceptance to UCONN. Students admitted to UCONN Med achieve this acomplishment by hard work and determination, not connections. I know of two physicians in the area - one of whom worked for UCONN and the other is an alum of a UCONN residency- who both had children waitlisted and ultimately rejected in this past years application cycle. To clear up another misconception, I never took post-bacc classes at UCONN Med School before being accepted. All of my classes were taken at the Storrs and West Hartford UCONN campuses as a continuing student and subsequently as a post-bacc student.

I have found UCONN to be very friendly to non-trad students. I am 37 and not the oldest in my class. There are quite a few of us with spouses, kids and/or former careers. There has been amazing support for me at UCONN from the faculty, administration and fellow students. As mentioned by countryapp12 there are not many straight from undergrad students at UCONN. It seems as though most have taken at least a year or two off before matriculating.

With regard to non-trad students and needing to take full-course loads....
Having a semester or two with a heavy courseload in which you prove you can handle a full academic workload is nice on your application. The school wants to see that you will be able to handle the rigors of med school. This is particularly important is you undergrad gpa is a little low. However, this can be very difficult if you are trying to hold down a full-time job and everyone's situation is unique. I think if you have the opportunity to put in the full schedule and do well it is the best option. However, if you really can't do it due to financial reasons, just work your tail off to also volunteer, ace the classes you are taking and earn some stellar LORs. Dr. Sanford will advise you of anything you can do to make your application most competitive. It is not always possible to do everything he suggests, bubt he would be remiss not to advise it. Don't be discouraged by these suggestions and just do your best. I was advised to look into other schools, take additional classes, shadow more etc. It doesn't mean you won't get in.

Good luck to all of you and to those of you with interviews PM me if you have anymore questions.

Deirdre, MS3