UConn - housing, car needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ozzie99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could any UConn students comment on housing in the area. Do you need a car? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say you need a car. I was the only person in my year who went to school every day by bus. For shopping tho, I had my husband's car for the weekend. Also, once you hit the upper years you'll need a car to get to other clinic sites.

Could any UConn students comment on housing in the area. Do you need a car? Thanks.

I would say you need a car. I was the only person in my year who went to school every day by bus. For shopping tho, I had my husband's car for the weekend. Also, once you hit the upper years you'll need a car to get to other clinic sites.

Thanks MsPurtell: What about housing? Where do most people live? There didn't seem like there was a lot of housing/apartments near UConn dental.

Members don't see this ad :)
they have housing across the street where lots of students live......big condos that students shared for the most part. It was called "the forest" or something like that.

Thanks MsPurtell: What about housing? Where do most people live? There didn't seem like there was a lot of housing/apartments near UConn dental.

I hope to revive this thread, because this is something that is important in considering UConn. Well I already know that I am going there but can anyone tell me about the housing situation? I know about the forest, but hopefully current/past UConn studnets can give me insight into what they;re doing.

Is it expensive to live in CT - food, gas, etc? I have a hamster (best ham ever!!) - is it hard to maintain a pet and your sanity? What did you do in the four years you went there - roommate-wise? Also are the apartments standard or are there many houses with rooms for rent?

Any insight is appreciated!

I hope to revive this thread, because this is something that is important in considering UConn. Well I already know that I am going there but can anyone tell me about the housing situation? I know about the forest, but hopefully current/past UConn studnets can give me insight into what they;re doing.

Is it expensive to live in CT - food, gas, etc? I have a hamster (best ham ever!!) - is it hard to maintain a pet and your sanity? What did you do in the four years you went there - roommate-wise? Also are the apartments standard or are there many houses with rooms for rent?

Any insight is appreciated!

Car = YES

Expensive - well it is CT, and depending on which town you live in/shop in near the dental school, you can end up paying A LOT for stuff or a reasonable amount - a car definately helps in the shop around aspect too

Bottomline, UCONN is a SUBURBAN campus that is surrounded by both some of the wealthiest and poorest towns in CT

Thanks, Dr. Jeff. I am looking into transferring my license and registration.

But about the "forest" where exactly is that?

Yes, you will need a car!!

The good ole forest! Its a condominium complex right across the street from the hospital. Reasonable rent, fairly decent accommodation. And Murphy's is right round the corner for those after exam gatherings...good times

Thanks Jaiceman. Car is noted. I looked into registration/insurance, yadda yadda.

OMG I am so excited! Am I extremely nerdy and young to feel this way??

I think I will be there for an AEGD, I had the opportunity to see all the are, its upper class mix with poor areas, I went to the dental school and the grad programs, this place is really friendly. I hope it all works out for you, you can email me if you need some inf. I have a friend who lives near to the medical center.

Thanks Tony, maybe I'll see you then. I heard from a friend that her brother, who went to UConn law school lived in a room in an old mansion. He said it was a neat thing to do and that there are a surprising amount of housing opportunities like that.

Im also entering for C/O 2014, i have been looking around the area for apartments. i found quite a few in surrounding areas that are really cheap. less than 15 min drive from campus. id goto apartments.com just to start then the dean recommended some other websites that i forgot but i believe they are on teh school's website.

But i have spoke with quite a few students and like previous post they all recommend teh forest place. The current students that i have spoke with say it is about 700 month for one room. And you share the place with a couple other students. But if you want to live alone you can definately find a one bedroom apartment for the same price in teh area.

As regards to cost of living. I am from washington state and from speaking with relatives in teh area i have found the cost of living is pretty reasonable. i am not sure in comparison with east coast areas though.

see you in the fall