UConn New?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Highclimber

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any word from UConn lately kids?

Members don't see this ad.

word is that the adcom met again last week, and sent out letters thursday to the "alternates" regarding status: the list is divided into 3 tiers, and apparently they'll reveal only which third you're in.

if you are in the top third, chances are "very good" you'll be accepted at some point.

They only sent out letters to alternates? What about those who were rejected or accepted? I interviewed in March and havent heard a word.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is great, we should start a uconn thread everyday!

so they sent out letters on thursday...i live about 20 miles away from the school......where's my letter? sorry, i just can't wait!

I live about 8 miles from the school and haven't received my letter either.

I apologize for starting a new thread... I don't know how you kids search for the other ones... (i tried to find yours C.P. but i am not gona go through pages oand pages of threads to find it... and the search function didn't pop it up in as much as I could see)... Anyway, I have not recieved a letter either...

Highclimber said:
I apologize for starting a new thread... I don't know how you kids search for the other ones... (i tried to find yours C.P. but i am not gona go through pages oand pages of threads to find it... and the search function didn't pop it up in as much as I could see)... Anyway, I have not recieved a letter either...

hahaha, i'm ok that you started a new thread, i really do enjoy seeing new uconn threads! i'll probably start another one next week :D :p

So since you guys live in CT and haven't even received them, should I not be expecting one anytime soon all the way in Cali?? What is UP with this!! Come on already!!! AHHHHHH

coco said:
So since you guys live in CT and haven't even received them, should I not be expecting one anytime soon all the way in Cali?? What is UP with this!! Come on already!!! AHHHHHH

you'll probably get it before we do, somehow....crazy backwards postal service

HERE YOU ALL GO

I GOT MY STUPID LETTER

BOTTOM THIRD OF THE WAITLIST

good luck to the rest of you,

i'm going to go buy halo now and shoot things

i hate you uconn, thanks for breaking my heart again

Anyone else get their letter today... its middle third for me...

OMG this sucks. The letter is going to my parents' house and they aren't home from work yet.

Anyone else heard anything from UConn? Was everyone who got a letter about thier placement on the alternate list already waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming I'll be getting mine either today or tomorrow. Why has no one on SDN heard about being on the top 1/3 of the waitlist??
I'll just wait and see...

CP Jones....I'm sorry :( :( I hope things work out for you!! Have you been accepted anywhere else?

I am in the middle third too. got my letter yesterday, but I am in CT. postmarked 4/18.

I interviewed in November, and had gotten the e-mail that put me as an alternate sometime in Jan. I think.

To qualify for the top 1/3 of the waitlist you must meet the following criteria:

1. Female
2. Must have applied >2 times.

Microgin is on the top 1/3

Congradulations! She's too modist to post, so I'll do it for her :)

coco said:
I'm assuming I'll be getting mine either today or tomorrow. Why has no one on SDN heard about being on the top 1/3 of the waitlist??
I'll just wait and see...

CP Jones....I'm sorry :( :( I hope things work out for you!! Have you been accepted anywhere else?

no, i haven't, but i am borderline middle/top third of the waitlist at evms, and 2 other waitlists...isn't that funny, evms likes me more than uconn

i sent out letters of interest to the schools except for uconn a few days ago, so i will call evms early next week and see if that hopefully bumps me into the top third!

are you in anywhere yet? good luck w/ uconn

Sundarban1 said:
To qualify for the top 1/3 of the waitlist you must meet the following criteria:

1. Female

the female thing....that's really really really really sad and angering because it's most likely true, especially when the school is already mostly female....way to be 50/50 uconn

Sundarban1 said:

1. Female

Is this for real? Do they have a rule about it? B/c how many females have actually applied 2+ times to UConn and made it on the alternate list? I'm guessing the top 1/3 of the list is pretty short which makes it easier for people in the middle 1/3 to get in, right??

CP Jones, I'm in at MCW but I'm also on the waitlist at several other schools and I have no idea where on the waitlist. I'm actually looking forward to UConn's letter so at least I'll know if I should move on or wait. I wish all schools did that.

Good luck everyone and congrats to those with good news!!

coco said:
Is this for real? Do they have a rule about it? B/c how many females have actually applied 2+ times to UConn and made it on the alternate list? I'm guessing the top 1/3 of the list is pretty short which makes it easier for people in the middle 1/3 to get in, right??

CP Jones, I'm in at MCW but I'm also on the waitlist at several other schools and I have no idea where on the waitlist. I'm actually looking forward to UConn's letter so at least I'll know if I should move on or wait. I wish all schools did that.

i hope that's not actually some "rule", not that i actually care at this point, but like i said a couple months back that at one of my interviews, the group was mostly male. dr. sanford said that it would be difficult for us to get in based on the past few years (where mostly women have been taken).

why this is? i have no idea, at all...i hope it's random luck, and that gender was not an issue, but to say that to our interview group was a little inappropriate when the school should technically be even.....even randomly chosen it should be split 50/50, no?

i think i'm just a little angry about my letter and trying to make things up now :laugh:

coco said:

No, there is no rule. Sundarban was just revealing too much personal info about me on a public forum :scared: If you go on UConn's new and updated website, you'll see the stats of last year's class which was lopsidedly composed of 71% females/29% males... apparently an attempt to balance the overall male/female ratio of the school in general... that's where this "females have an advantage" comes from. I am very happy to be on the top 1/3 of the waitlist this time around, seeing as I was never this far up any of the other times I applied. I have no idea how many people are in the top 1/3, nor where I am ranked in this tier. While I know my chances for acceptance are improved this year, I'm in no way guaranteed an acceptance, which is why I didn't say anything about my position myself right away. Call me superstitious and paranoid, but that's just me.

microgin said:
No, there is no rule. Sundarban was just revealing too much personal info about me on a public forum :scared: If you go on UConn's new and updated website, you'll see the stats of last year's class which was lopsidedly composed of 71% females/29% males... apparently an attempt to balance the overall male/female ratio of the school in general... that's where this "females have an advantage" comes from. I am very happy to be on the top 1/3 of the waitlist this time around, seeing as I was never this far up any of the other times I applied. I have no idea how many people are in the top 1/3, nor where I am ranked in this tier. While I know my chances for acceptance are improved this year, I'm in no way guaranteed an acceptance, which is why I didn't say anything about my position myself right away. Call me superstitious and paranoid, but that's just me.

how many times have you applied? good luck with this time!

Ohhh i see, thanks for the clarification everyone! I'm about to go pick up the mail right now so I'll post if I get anything! :) AH!!

CP, I see where you're coming from, and I would feel the exact same way if it was the other way around...It does seem a little inappropriate...but oh well, what can you do. :)

at my interview i asked dr. sanford why the ratio was so lopsided and he said that the female applicants from last year just happened to be better...

Alright, so CP, i'm in the lower third with you :D
So thanks UConn....at least I got a very nice vacation from the interview trip!! I went to NYC and had the time of my life!

So whatever, It just makes the decision easier on me. I just don't know WHY!! AHHH!!!

Whatev...their loss :D

I'm in the middle third and not too happy about it. Just got the letter today.

coco said:
Alright, so CP, i'm in the lower third with you :D
So thanks UConn....at least I got a very nice vacation from the interview trip!! I went to NYC and had the time of my life!

So whatever, It just makes the decision easier on me. I just don't know WHY!! AHHH!!!

Whatev...their loss :D

it is their loss coco, it is...will you definitely be going to MCW now, or will you be waiting on the other waitlists.

vpd, sorry to hear that as well, i hope it still gives you a shot at them...do you (or anybody) know if they are willing to change your position with an update/letter of interest/intent? i.e., like evms is does.... i already did the letter of intent to uconn, so i'm done if they do change positions or not

I'm not sure if they will change positions or not. I know that my letter said something about sending updates to the school because the middle third has not been ranked as of yet, but I'm not sure if a letter of intent falls into that category. They specifically mentioned degree completion I believe.

C.P. Jones said:
it is there loss coco, it is...will you definitely be going to MCW now, or will you be waiting on the other waitlists.

vpd, sorry to hear that as well, i hope it still gives you a shot at them...do you (or anybody) know if they are willing to change your position with an update/letter of interest/intent? i.e., like evms is does.... i already did the letter of intent to uconn, so i'm done if they do change positions or not
Hi CP! Yep, waiting on waitlists (UCI, UCSF) and still waiting to hear back from Loma Linda post-int. If none of these work out, then MCW, here I come!

coco said:
Hi CP! Yep, waiting on waitlists (UCI, UCSF) and still waiting to hear back from Loma Linda post-int. If none of these work out, then MCW, here I come!

if i end up applying again, I have thrown Loma Linda on my list...my new long long list :)

C.P. Jones said:
if i end up applying again, I have thrown Loma Linda on my list...my new long long list :)

Just go to the caribbean with me. It's not too late to apply even now.

VPDcurt said:
Just go to the caribbean with me. It's not too late to apply even now.

don't think i haven't seriously considered it :laugh:

maybe one of those schools will make it onto next years list....idk how long i can do this for before i need to move on

C.P. Jones said:
don't think i haven't seriously considered it :laugh:

maybe one of those schools will make it onto next years list....idk how long i can do this for before i need to move on

That's what I figured...as a reapplicant, I'm done with the waiting. It's time to either get the job done or find another career - I'd rather not find another career at this point.

VPDcurt said:
That's what I figured...as a reapplicant, I'm done with the waiting. It's time to either get the job done or find another career - I'd rather not find another career at this point.

yea, what are we supposed to do, go back to college and get a new major? that would suck, and this is definitely what i want to do. this is your second time applying? it's my second time as well.

C.P. Jones said:
yea, what are we supposed to do, go back to college and get a new major? that would suck, and this is definitely what i want to do. this is your second time applying? it's my second time as well.

if you dont mind me asking, reapplicants, what did you do since last year to improve your chances this year?? I am waitlisted at UConn(middle -- got the wonderful letter yesterday) and Drexel and possibly facing another cycle and am curious....

hasy said:
if you dont mind me asking, reapplicants, what did you do since last year to improve your chances this year?? I am waitlisted at UConn(middle -- got the wonderful letter yesterday) and Drexel and possibly facing another cycle and am curious....

i graduated, honor's scholar with a thesis and presentation in florida of the project
i had a summer internship studying West Nile Virus in CT
volunteering at the YCMA and Yale New Haven hospital
ultimate frisbee club
full time job at a lab at yale med school, which i tried to update schools w/ since this happened post-amcas

and i got the same spot on the waitlist, hahahhahaha (but better overall compared to my first time where i was only waitlisted at uconn...now i got 4 waitlists, yea!)

by the way, that's actually a lot of changes due to graduating (changing places where i lived, so new jobs, new volunteering positions, and awards from graduating)

People, if you really think UConn discriminates against people with a Y chromsome you are crazy. I interviewed in early September (2003) was accepted 3 weeks later, and I am a white, suburban, out of state, country BOY. The fact that there are more women merely reflects a common trend in society: GIRLS ARE KICKING GUYS ASSES ACADEMICALLY. When the valedictorian announcements start coming out in CT look and see what the make up is by sex. Did you go to class in college? Probalby not because most guys didn't while girls were busy taking notes and kicking guys butts on exams. I also believe a lot of men are foregoing medical school to make a quick buck in buisness or something like that. And finally, althought it is 100% not true, UConn gets a rap for being a primary care school, which I think may drive some male applicants away. So there are probably a lot of factors playing into the first year classes lopsided next in regards to XX vs. XY. One of those may even be a small sample size (class size is only 80. That means if 4 female students were replaced by 4 male students those percentages change by a whole 5%). But stop crying foul, because it is just not true.

Class of '06 is also 70%F/30%M which probably just reflects statewide college demographics of women being 2/3 of college students in the state. Don't know about '07 and '08. I don't believe there is any contrived discrimination against the Wolffian sex but there is no affirmative action for men either.

All but 1 spot for our surgical matches 13/74 (NS/GS/ortho/oto/OMFS) went to men though. Radiology (7/74) was also well represented by men (5/7). Peds (12/13) + ob/gyn (4/4) were virtually all women reflecting national trends.

We are a primary care focused school, this being said, more than half our class this year did not go into peds/IM/family. As a matter of fact we had only 3 FM matches which is abysmally low if you compare it to places like MUSC or UW. While PC is encouraged, no one will try to stop you if you decide you want to go into anesthesia or orthopaedics and they will actually try to guide you into a successful match.

UConn is getting more competitive I think, there was a time not so long ago when the MSAR published mean GPA was more 3.5 than 3.65 though methinks our mean MCAT has always been around 30.

As mentioned we are a very small school and changes in a few spots can really change the whole demographic mix. I think the adcom really thinks hard about fit when it comes to admissions moreso than other schools since we are so small. My classmates are by and large interesting people. I didn't realize it earlier on but I feel very fortunate to be graduating medical school here, we are very spoiled and well taken care of and though our curriculum is a bit outpatient heavy, this makes for a more relaxing lifestyle, yet, I still feel prepared enough to take on the floors next year. It's a great place to attend medical school and I feel for the most part the admin is always thinking of and receptive to ways of making it even better.

Good luck. :luck:

_____

huskymed06, ms-iv
uconn som