UCONN or Stony Brook? And why?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by G. I. Joseph, May 16, 2002.

1. G. I. Joseph

G. I. Joseph Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Which one would you pick; I dont know much about either of them.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc
    7+ Year Member

Have you gotten into both of these schools?

Are you a New Yorker?

AK

4. TommyGunn04

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What's the environment like at Stony Brook? I visited UConn back in September, and I was particularly disappointed with the complete lack of anything to do in the Farmington area. On top of that, the closest "city" isn't much of a city either. So while I was really impressed with the niceness of everyone I met at UConn, from the students right up to the dean himself, I didn't think I'd be happy living there.

5. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Stony Brook is a quiet beautiful town without much to do in the immediate area. There are a few rocky beaches nearby, etc. However, it's only an hour to an hour and 1/2 train ride to NYC and the long island railroad (LIRR) goes right by the Stony Brook campus.

6. Dr. L

Dr. L Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know anything about Stony Brook but I think your state of residency could make a difference in which school I would recommend. UCONN has nice facilities but the area is definitely suburban, with no real city life unless you go 2 hours to Boston. However, everyone I met a UCONN really liked it and the administration seemed to care about the students. UCONN also has a small med school class (about 80) which is a plus or minus depending on the person.