UCONN Post bacc Program Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasGuy41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes them to review your file? And if you are considered for the conditional acceptance to UConn med, do they call you for an interview? I feel like there is no way they offer a conditional acceptance without an interview. Or maybe this conditional acceptance doesn't even happen until you complete a semester's worth of work? Anyone with any info please? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by TexasGuy41
Does anyone know how long it takes them to review your file? And if you are considered for the conditional acceptance to UConn med, do they call you for an interview? I feel like there is no way they offer a conditional acceptance without an interview. Or maybe this conditional acceptance doesn't even happen until you complete a semester's worth of work? Anyone with any info please? Thanks

Keat Sanford, Ph.D., can answer any question you have about the program: [email protected]

I second Iron Horse -- Dr. Sanford is super nice, and I'm sure he'd be glad to answer the questions that you have. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
TexasGuy41,
Can you post what ever Dr. Sanford says?....I applied to their post-bacc program as well, and was wondering the same thing.

I am a UCONN Post-Bacc student and also agree that you should give Dr. Sanford a call.

I received an interview last year after sending in my application (I'm sorry I don't remember how long it took). The interview consisted of a student and a faculty interview, one-on-one, open file and each lasted ~30-45 min. Everyone was very nice and it was not stressful. I also don't recall how long it took to find out I had been accepted. However, everyone at UCONN was very upfront and helpful about the application process and when I should hear from them during each step of the process.

Good luck to those who have applied. I can't say enough good things about the program. :)

Originally posted by TexasGuy41

no wonder you were so against me...... by the way, good luck

Does anybody know how many students they interview and accept each year?

It is a small program. There are only about 12-15 students total. I do not know if they plan to increase or decrease this number and I'm not sure how many people interviewed when I did.

Unfortunately, I didn't get an interview to the program. :( Just got the think envelope yesterday. Did any of ya'll hear any good news?

I found out that they are going to interview less than 2 dozen people, so I figure if you got an interview invite, your chances of getting in are 50% or so.... not bad actually;)

birdie,
How come you heard so soon. I was all set to get my rejection letter soon after you did, but even as I checked today's mail, I still didnt get one. I thought they would send out a batch of rejections, not individual ones sporatically.

Anyone else hear anything?

draino, I got the thin envelope in the mail over a week ago. I spoke to Dr. Sanford after that regarding the weaknesses in my application. He said one thing was that I wasn't regional (they prefer students from the northeast area supposedly, which conflicts what I was told by the secretary prior to my applying). Also, he said that I had already taken a lot of science coursework, so they didn't feel that their program was ideally suited for me. Anyway, good luck. It may be a good thing if you haven't heard from them yet b/c they're probably trying to decide between applicants they want to interview.

Has anyone interviewed there yet? I still haven't heard anything - I hope thats a good sign!

Members don't see this ad :)
They are holding interviews on May 12, 13th, 14th and 16th only.

I was just wondering if anyone has received an acceptance letter yet. If those are the dates for the interviews is it hopeless that we will receive good news?

That is next week. I handed in that application about a week and a half ago week, man i am screwed.

Hey Blazed,
When was the deadline. I thought they told me the deadline was March 15. Maybe I was wrong. Anyway, good luck with everything.
-MD4Life03

Is anyone interviewing on Monday? If so, could anyone please post what the format is like and questions they asked. Mine's on Tuesday. Thanks a mil!

Hi Pinky!

I am a post-bacc at UCONN now and highly recommend the program. The interview last year was very low-stress and everyone at UCONN is very professional. I met with Dr. Sanford, a student interviewer, and a faculty interviewer. The interviews were 30-45 mins. and were open file. They will give you a meal ticket for lunch and the interviewees may meet after interviewing for lunch (but its not a formal thing). No one on my day stayed for lunch. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and best of luck to you.

So I'm guessing they are done giving out interview invites. Seeing as how they are interviewing next week.

I got the reject letter as well. I have NO IDEA why they let you apply from out of state if they have no intention of accepting you. I spent so long on that application too!

The current group of post-bacc students at UCONN is a mix of in-state and out-of-state students. I'm sorry some of you were rejected without an interview, but it is a small program. If you have questions about your rejection, give them a call and ask for some feedback.

Originally posted by beanbean
The current group of post-bacc students at UCONN is a mix of in-state and out-of-state students. I'm sorry some of you were rejected without an interview, but it is a small program. If you have questions about your rejection, give them a call and ask for some feedback.

I agree -- contact Dr. Sanford and follow up to determine why you were rejected. This will help you identify potential weaknesses to address and help you if/when you reapply. My suggestion would be to e-mail and set up a time to speak on the phone. This will give Dr. Sanford an opportunity to review your app and he'll be prepared to offer you substantive feedback.

Stay positive.

I have to agree with Texasguy41, I too just got my rejection letter from UConn. Someone needs to explain to me why it is almost harder to get into these Post-bacc programs or reapplicant programs than it is getting into med-school. Arent these programs to help those who need help getting into med-school, not people that could get in without the program?

PS..I was an out-of-state applicant

I don't buy the UConn thing: I've been waitlisted at a few top 25 schools - and they don't even interview me for the post-bacc? It just doesn't make sense. Its like "Hello? I'm applying to help STRENGHTEN my application - as in, I UNDERSTAND its not strong enough to get into medical school" and they STILL won't even give you a chance. Unreal. Its not even a very good med school.

BeanBean, what kind of classes did you take through the program?

I started out taking the basic prereq classes on my own at UCONN in the Summer of 2001. I was accepted into the program last summer (2002). Last fall I took Biochem (204, the harder one), Genetics, Physics II, and Animal Physiology. I had taken Cell Bio, Adv. Cell Bio, Orgo, Gen Bio, Physics, and Spanish the previous year.

If you are accepted to the program, you will have an advisor at the med school and an advisor at Storrs. They are very helpful and will help you set up your schedule with what classes they feel would be best for you.

Good Luck!

Received an email yesterday from UCONN inviting me to interview for the post bac program. The dates they gave were May 27, 28, and 30. They also had posted the 26th as a day available, but when I called to schedule an interview date the woman at the office said they made a mistake putting down the 26th, which is actually the day observed for the memorial day holiday. I am not sure if they are also interviewing on the 12th , 13th, etc.

Congratulations Blazed on getting an Interview. :clap:

Thanks MD, I appreciate it.

I now this is a postbac discussion...but I just had to reply to TexasGuy's comment. Maybe UCONN didn't interview you because you're good enough to be waitlisted at a "few" top 25 schools! I don't think its fair for you to criticize their program!!
Its pretty strong and maybe if it isn't such a "good medical school" you should have looked elsewhere for a post bac program! Sorry, but I think UCONN has a right to include more state residents than out of state...BECAUSE IT IS A STATE SCHOOL!!
Best of luck to you getting off those waitlists.

Have any of you heard from them yet post-interview?

Can anyone advise on how the whole conditional acceptance to the med school works for the post-baccs? Did anyone go through the post-bacc and then enroll in the med school? I'm interested in any info, thanks!

I can't speak for other programs, but acceptance into UConn's post-bacc program does not assure you a spot in the next med school class. Approx. 85-90% of UCONN Post-Bacc are accepted to med school. You still must apply and go through the interview process, although you can take the MCAT in April of the year you apply and matriculate - there is no 'lag' year. Students are evaluated using the same criteria as regular applicants - MCAT, GPA, LORs, ECs, essays, interview, etc. Post-bacc students at UCONN have an advisor at the univiersity and at the med school. For better or worse you are not just a number, it is a small program and your strengths and weaknesses will be evident.

lkajsdf

Last edited:
Thanks beanbean!

Did anyone go through Program A (the whole career change option)? If so, what kind of experience (volunteer, research etc) did you have before enrolling in the post bacc? Did you have time while in the program to continue getting volunteer experience? Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences!

To answer one poster's question: I was not given a conditional acceptance to the med school. Myself and the other post-baccs that I know all applied and were evaluated after completing the coursework and MCAT. I found out in June that I will be starting in Aug. at the med school.. If you have questions about how often and what type of students are given conditional acceptances, give Dr. Sanford a call. I don't know anyone in the program who had one, but he is the guy to ask.

According to UCONN's website ~85% of post-bacc students are accepted to med school. It is a small program with only 12-15 students at any given time and I'm sure some years have a better acceptance percentage than others. There can be any number of reasons a student is not accepted; grades, MCAT, etc. and some students may decide to not apply based on personal circumstances. Again, Dr. Sanford would be the person to talk to regarding acceptance rates for the post-baccs.

Lastly, I completely changed careers and am a non-traditional student, but I was in Program B ( the 1 year option). I started taking pre-reqs on my own and then applied to the program. I was not accepted the first time and took classes for another semester. I was accepted in June 2002 and since I had already completed most of my prereqs by that point I just needed the one year.

Before my life as a post-bacc I was a Clinical Engineer in a large hospital and then a stay-at-home mom. I have been a volunteer EMT (since 1986) and EMS Instructor (1992-2002). I am also a founding member of a prehospital patient advocacy program as a part of my town's volunteer EMS system. I shadowed with a resident team at a hospital for one semester in the Spring of 2002. There is not much time during the post-bacc program to volunteer or shadow during the semesters, but the med school will help arrange shadowing or volunteer time for you at the med school during breaks. I had a very cool time in Pathology this pst January.

I hope that answers everyone's questions - just remember I can only speak from my own experience. Please call Dr. Sanford to get the real info if you have any questions.

Hi Pinky!

I am a post-bacc at UCONN now and highly recommend the program. The interview last year was very low-stress and everyone at UCONN is very professional. I met with Dr. Sanford, a student interviewer, and a faculty interviewer. The interviews were 30-45 mins. and were open file. They will give you a meal ticket for lunch and the interviewees may meet after interviewing for lunch (but its not a formal thing). No one on my day stayed for lunch. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions and best of luck to you.

hey! I know your post is from 14 years ago (I can't believe 2003 was that long ago) however, I am interviewing for the post bac. program at UCONN tomorrow and was wondering what kind of questions they will be asking.

Any input would be appreciated!
Thank you!