UConn Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rgowka1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on my application to the Uconn post-Bacc premed program.

Does anyone have any stats for this program??

How are the decisions made?? what's the single most important aspect in the application??

How fast are the decisions made?? The current deadline is Oct 1

how competitive is it to get in??

how many applicants??

how many are accepted??

Do they admit international students??

any other details would be greatly appreciated??

The website hardly touches on any of these details and it's frustrating to grope in the dark and assume everything!!

thanks a lot...

Members don't see this ad.

When I checked last year, I was told they take about 12 people per year out of 200 applicants.... I didn't bother. Perhaps if you are from Conn, it might be a bit easier??? Call their admin office...

Good luck.

Hey rgowka1, I'm currently in the program. What I can tell you is that most of the people in the program are from CT or have attended school in state. But as far as I know, I haven't heard anything about them excluding any non-residents outright... but the chances are definitely slimmer. The previous poster was right: about 200 apply every year of which 30 or so get interviewed of which 12-15 get accepted. There are 20 or so of us this year. I don't think any in the program this year are international, but I may be mistaken.

It's hard to say what the single most important factor is in determining candidacy, but you should definitely do well on your interview. The nice thing about UCONN is that they don't give stress interviews, but that doesn't mean that you can slack. Show them your strengths and don't hold back.

I applied for the fall, so the dates will be off by about 6 months. But our application deadline was April 1st. I found out that I was going to be interviewed on April 18th. My interview was on May 13th and I was notified of their decision mid-June.

I don't know much about the other post-bacc programs out there, but I was told that more than 80% of the students here get into medical school and I think all are granted an interview at UCONN's SOM.

What are some of the other statistics that you were looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
PinkyBrain:

Thanks for your reply. I got an e-mail from the school and just found out that for Spring, 30 applications and 1 or 2 get in!!

I guess it's more selective than a medical school...

Whatever it is I want to be a doctor! I worked up some good themes for my essays and all I have to do is polish the essays a lot more and see how it goes....

I was wondering if you could let me know how competitive the applicant pool is??

Yes, the essay, I think is also VERY important. It's what in my opinion will play a huge role in getting you an interview. Make sure the rest of your application is spotless. From the kinds of questions they asked me in my interview, I got the feeling that they stressed the well-rounded person over the super-academic person. Well, with post-bacc program it's hard to talk about academic performance since the whole point of (these kinds of) post bacc programs is to improve your academic resume.

I don't know what I would rate the application pool in terms of competitivness. I mean, it's going to be hard no matter what - especially with them only accepting such a small number this semester around. And if you're not somehow linked to CT then it'll probably be EVEN harder to get in. I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply. It's a great program I think and a good lead into medical school, but on the other hand, it's $75 for a 2 in 30 chance. Still, I guess if it was me, I'd go for it. Throw some more questions out if you have them... I hope you get in!

Thanks again for the reply and the support. I work in East Hartford and live in Manchester CT.

Though the odds with $75 are better at Mohegan, I am really serious about getting in.

Would it be possible for you to review my essays over the next weekend? You pick the place and the tab is on me!

I am a former UCONN post-bacc student and am currently in my first year at UCONN med.

I applied to the program twice and was accepted on the second try (June 2002). I don't believe there is any "single most important " aspect of your application. The post-bacc students I knew were a diverse group of non-trad/ trad, URM/non-URM, in-state/out-of-state students.

I highly recommend the program. If you have questions email or call Dr. Sanford at UCONN. He is the Director of the program and would be the best qualified to answer them.

Deirdre

Deirdre

Why were you rejected the first time?

thanks,

Hi Deirdre, good to see that you're back and congratulations on your new bundle of joy!:clap: :clap: :clap: Yeah, I assumed as much when you didn't make it to the meeting. I tried to PM you several times, but your mailbox was understandably full :)

Rgowka1,
I'm not sure whether I consider myself a good essay proof-reader, but I'd be more than willing to read yours for free and give you feedback. Just send it to me via attachement. I've got some exams coming up this week, but if I get the chance, I'll try to take a look at them before then and get back to you by next week. I sent my PS to about 20 of my friends and I got great input from them, so I think there's definitely value in getting other people's opinions.

My undergrad gpa was very low due to a chronic illness. (I graduated in 1990 from BU with a BS in Biomedical Engineering.) I had only taken two summer classes and three fall semester classes when I applied to the program. I believe they wanted to see another semester of coursework before admitting me with such a low gpa. I also used that spring semester to shadow in the internal medicine department of the hospital where I used to work.

Everyone is an individual and has their own unique application with positives and negatives. UCONN was very upfront with me about the areas I needed to strengthen in my application.

Best of luck in your application process.

I Heard that only two people are accepted for the Spring semester. Talk about a long shot.

Has anyone who applied to UConn's post bacc for the spring heard any news regarding an interview or rejection yet?? I have been complete for a couple of weeks now, and still have not heard anything..

How much does the UCONN postbacc program cost? Are there any pre-dental students in the program? Would the program be suitable for someone who has already completed a science degree with all the dental school prerequisites but would like to improve his/her GPA? Thanks.

I was a UCONN post-bacc student last year. The post-baccs I knew were all premed. Give Keat Sanford (Director of the Post-Bacc Program) a call and talk to him. He is the person who can answer all of your questions.

Thanks for your helpful replies, beanbean. I looked at the UCONN school of medicine academic programs but couldn't find the postbacc program. Could you please help me locate it? Thanks.

Deirdre,
Remember me? The one who asked you all of those questions last year. Well I am currently in the post-bach program at UConn. I tried to email you when I first got here, but I am not sure if you got it. Feel free to email me when you get a chance.
Heather

By the way...it is going great and I highly recommend it!

That's great Heather! I absolutely love med school here at UCONN. I had my son two weeks after classes started and the faculty have been so supportive. It is a huge amount of work, but I enjoy it tremendously. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you like.