Uconn V. Maryland (opinions Please)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentista2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Input Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hungover:

Members don't see this ad.

From visiting both places, I liked Maryland better. I'm a bit of a technofile so I loved that Maryland was on the cutting edge. I also liked that they take the boards after the first year. However, it is impressive that 80% of UCONN's class specializes and that they are Pass/Fail.

Thanks For Input, How Beneficial Do You Think The Small Class Size Will Be?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from a small University and I find it greatly beneficial.

I'm very happy at Maryland, but I have never been to, nor have any friends at UConn so I can't offer any info. there. I think 80% specialization rate is great (sounds too good to be true), but that's not really a factor for me b/c I'm set on becoming a GP.

Maryland's class is quite a bit larger than UConn's, so that is something you may want to take into consideration. I prefer a large class b/c then it's inevitable to meet many people that you have a lot in common with.

Anyways- congrats to you! good luck with your decision!!

jb!:)

UConn is very medically based if you like that. " THE very demanding" classes was said about 19,000 times. THe high rates are kind of crazy, but I think small classes should be a good thing. I mean, Uconn takes a lot of classes with med students. So the classes are still over 100, its not like your only going to meet 30 people. I feel like I would be lost if I went to NYU or Tufts or something gigantic.

The 80% specialty is not true per say. The 80% includes all students who go into any type of residency including GPR and AEGD. 80% of the class does not become orthos, perios, pedos etc.

OOO that makes sense.... what skewed garbage numbers... that is shady and just knowing that now makes me mad at being misinformed

OOO that makes sense.... what skewed garbage numbers... that is shady and just knowing that now makes me mad at being misinformed

I know. The schools tend to keep that part from you unless you specifically ask them.

The 80% specialty is not true per say. The 80% includes all students who go into any type of residency including GPR and AEGD. 80% of the class does not become orthos, perios, pedos etc.

I agree, it is a bit shady the way they keep stressing 80%

Thanks for the info guys:)