UCONN vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor24601

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am happy to say that I got into med school. However, I do not know what school to pick. Does school rep affect residency application? What about the importance of research possibilities at each school?
Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a resident of Connecticut? If the answer's affirmative, then my advice is obvious.

AAATCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN '04

I think research activity (which ultimately brings reputation) is important, and as far as I can tell, UConn is a much more established research institution than NYMC.

If you're a CT resident, as atchoo mentioned, all the better and you should probably go to UConn.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, tim of NYC and atchoo. I hate to admit it, but money is a big factor.

Just thought I would share my 2 cents since I'm a third year at UConn. I'm pretty pleased with the curriculum here -- you'll hear some gripes about too much touchy-feely stuff or too much primary care, but I feel that no matter where you go, there will be gripes about something or another. In the end, everyone seems to learn all of the same information somehow. With a little initiative, you can really customize your education here -- I have an interest in emergency medicine, so I was able to set up an elective in emergency medicine that gave me some clinical exposure to this field of medicine while I was still a first year student. It is now offered to all first year students who are interested. I feel that with a little initiative, you can make an education for yourself no matter where you go. I also feel, because the school is fairly small, that you get to really know people here -- fellow students, deans, professors, attendings, interns, residents, cafeteria people, housekeeping, etc. Another huge incentive is the tuition break as a Connecticut resident. I guess the question is, are you willing to spend >$10,000 a year to live closer to NYC? If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

-James
MS3, UConn School of Medicine

Can you comment on how Dempsey's financial problems are affecting and will affect UCONN? I know that the state will save the hospital. My concern, and one of at least one current faculty member, is that the instability will result in faculty leaving. In addition, it could make recruiting/retaining faculty much more difficult.

I am wailisted at UCONN, and while I have been accepted elsewhere and am interested in UCONN, fear that this situation could have serious repercussions.

Thanks.

Dempsey does have it's financial difficulties -- to be honest, I'm not sure what's going to happen, but our Dean told us that the financial difficulties at Dempsey won't affect our medical education. From a clinical education standpoint, the way the third and fourth years are set up, nothing will change because John Dempsey hospital only plays only a minor role during these years -- most of our rotations are done at elsewhere. I don't foresee that the financial problems at John Dempsey hospital will affect our clinical teaching. One way that Dempsey's financial woes would affect the school is through clinical research -- if the hospital is forced to reduce it's capacity, then this could adversely affect the research activities that are going on at UConn. In light of this environment, many clincal researchers may be wary of coming to UConn. Would this affect the medical students? Perhaps -- especially for those students who are engaged in research at the school. Otherwise -- I'm not sure what the end result would be -- in my own opinion, I don't think things would change much at all. The players may change a bit, but the education will stay the same. I know that I don't need an expert in the field to lecture me in order to learn the basic sciences -- I do however appreciate a good teacher.

Unfortunately, UConn isn't the only medical school with a teaching hospital facing this type of fiscal problem -- University of Chicago, UPenn, Georgetown are a few other schools with hospitals that I can think of off the top of my head who are facing similar financial difficulties. It can be scary, definitely, especially in light of what happened with MCP/Hahnemann, but it's something we have to deal with during this time of cost-cutting and cost-savings.

We'll see what happens.

-James

UCONN-better name and less money. Go buy your UCONN sweatshirt now!!!! Good luck.

James - Thanks for your reply. My concern is, as you mention, with regard to researhers and faculty. I understand that there is a pay/hiring freeze which came on the heels of aggressive recruitment of researchers for the new facility. In addition, I have read the OHCA document that urges a collaborative solution be implemented by July 1 of this year. It is all very nerve-wracking and disappointing. UCONN was a strong 2nd choice for me, and now I am very gun shy. I have 1 acceptance, and I am waitlisted at 3 other schools (incl. UCONN -- top third).

I appreciate your comments about learning the basic sciences, but given my wonderful post-bacc experience (due mostly because of phenomenal teachers) I want at least the assurance of good, if not excellent, teachers/mentors.

Any other thoughts you have on this subject, or on UCONN in general would be most welcomed.

Thanks and good luck.