UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korndoctor

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how well does UConn prepare you for med school and med school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to UConn, YEA!

I think that the "pre-med" program at UConn does a lot to help out students interested in medicine. The dean from UConn visits every year to speak to students interested in medicine/UCHC, there's a pre-med club (which i was not part of, so I cannot say how it was), and they even had a 1 credit class I took that they began my senior year where every week a professor from UCHC comes to "teach" their specialty, it was very interesting, (although i found it funny to watch the ppl taking notes).

As far as "knowing" what classes to take, there is no set curriculum as "pre-med" isn't a major, you can do whatever you want (obviously knowing you should take the science classes). Science at UConn is very good, and gets better every year. Research opportunities are very abundant, especially under work-study (and this is making sure to express your desire to research...not wash dishes :) ). This is especially true if you join the Honors Program where you will have to write a research thesis.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

I'd say par for the course. They could do a lot better...they could also probably do a lot worse.