This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedMe831

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

For all those who have applied to UCR's medical school, what was your stats and experience like and if you have any advice to those who are future applicants to this school?

I'm from Riverside, California went to Kinder all the way to college in Riverside, my family works in Riverside and have many ties there. But i'm worried about my GPA + MCAT score. Currently in a masters program in the east coast trying to boost my GPA and going to retake the MCAT again. But just curious to see what the process is like?

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search function.

In particular, you will find this year's and previous years' application threads useful (found under forums/pre-med) as well as the MSAR. Mdapplicants.com is also a cool resource.

Reactions: 1 user
A Masters won’t help for GPA repair for MD. You didn’t give any stats so we can’t help you. You’ll have to,search yourself. Burglar least you grew up in their target area.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Masters won’t help for GPA repair for MD. You didn’t give any stats so we can’t help you. You’ll have to,search yourself. Burglar least you grew up in their target area.
MCAT: 501
Undergrad sGPA: 3.1
Undergrad non-s GPA: 3.66
Undergrad cGPA: 3.33
Masters in biomed GPA: 3.6

Roughly around 600 hours clinical
Starting research next year
I was a lab TA, and I've volunteered and shadowed at their hospital

I would aim to get an MCAT 507+ on a retake before applying. They are a very mission oriented school.

As someone who interviewed here this cycle, I can give you some advice. PM me fellow IE resident!

Interviewed beginning of November and still waiting to hear back! From IE, had 3.72 gpa and 515 mcat and have a brother in his 3rd year at UCR's SOM. For anyone else waiting, I feel your pain!

Your Masters won't do much for you in terms of helping your GPA since graduate school GPA is considered separately from undergraduate GPA, and it's only decent at best as well for a masters program.

Your MCAT score is a nonstarter for a good portion of MD programs in the US. I would strongly consider applying DO if you applied with that score + sGPA, and you'd have to apply broadly.

UCR's average MCAT is a 511 and their average GPA is a 3.73. You fall well below their 10th percentile for MCAT and below their 10th percentile for GPA. Fundamentally, you're not a competitive applicant for UCR with your stats.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed beginning of November and still waiting to hear back! From IE, had 3.72 gpa and 515 mcat and have a brother in his 3rd year at UCR's SOM. For anyone else waiting, I feel your pain!
Good luck! Just fyi if that's a picture of your real face it might not be a bad idea to change it.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck! Just fyi if that's a picture of your real face it might not be a bad idea to change it.
I just made this today so I appreciate the heads up! Just curious, why would that matter? I'd assume this would be as public as fb or instagram, you know?

I interviewed at Rocky Vista and really liked it. I think DO schools are a little less competitive.

I just made this today so I appreciate the heads up! Just curious, why would that matter? I'd assume this would be as public as fb or instagram, you know?

It is not as public as FB or Instagram, but as long as you don't say anything inflammatory, I don't think it's a big deal. It wouldn't be very hard for people to figure out who I was with all the details I have put on this site over the last few years. People are welcome to maintain (near) complete anonymity if they so desire.

It is not as public as FB or Instagram, but as long as you don't say anything inflammatory, I don't think it's a big deal. It wouldn't be very hard for people to figure out who I was with all the details I have put on this site over the last few years. People are welcome to maintain (near) complete anonymity if they so desire.
There are definitely 1-2 people on here who know who I am IRL, and I know for certain that one of them is an adcom at a school I applied to. I don't start arguments or say inflammatory things (and really don't even comment that often to begin with), but I do make dumb jokes and the like periodically. I'd prefer to take 0% chances than a 0.001% chance of someone recognizing something I say or do on here and reacting negatively to it.

Or, who knows, maybe 15 years from now something that we currently consider perfectly acceptable and inclusive will no longer be considered as such, and then someone digs it up, there's a Twitter storm, and I lose my job. The easiest answer is to just not be a tool (I do my best in that respect), but anonymity is a safeguard that I prefer to have. I don't really use social media either–anything with my name on it is basically attached to the internet forever.