This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayathegreat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble deciding where I should matriculate between Georgetown and UCR. I am unsure of what specialty I would like to pursue, but am interested in IM, Ophthalmology, Radiology, or Anesthesiology. Any input about which you would choose and why would be much appreciated!

UC Riverside
Pros:
Cheaper (I will be paying in state tuition)
Close to home
UC system prestige
Great weather and plenty to do around
Campus diversity
Small class size (~70 students)
Many people match within California

Cons:
Newer school than Georgetown (first class was in 2013)
Less prestige than Georgetown (91 vs 44)
Less resources than Georgetown
Appears that the school tailors students primarily for Primary Care and students with other interest venture out on their own to gain their own resources.
Step 1 becoming P/F might place more emphasis on prestige of institution for matching into competitive specialties

Georgetown
Pros:
Strong match history into every specialty
Globally recognized as a prestigious institution
New life experience
Lively community
Longitudinal tracks incorporated within the curriculum (I have an interest in public health)

Cons:
Large class size (200 students)
Expensive tuition and housing
Far from family
Competitive atmosphere
Weather
Lack of diversity
Older facilities

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think that the difference in prestige is that material. If you do well at either school, you will be able to pursue what interests you. I would take the cheaper tuition and stay near family, especially if you want to practice in California.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it'd be helpful for you and everyone in general to put the COA of each school and the calculated difference. We don't know necessarily know what the IS tuition for UCR or the tuition for Georgetown is, and for you.

I personally think there is a number where the difference in your goals would justify paying a premium. For example, UCR is there to serve the inland empire so a lot of their matches are there, and I believe is primary care centric. Do you want to practice there?

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble deciding where I should matriculate between Georgetown and UCR. I am unsure of what specialty I would like to pursue, but am interested in IM, Ophthalmology, Radiology, or Anesthesiology. Any input about which you would choose and why would be much appreciated!

UC Riverside
Pros:
Cheaper (I will be paying in state tuition)
Close to home
UC system prestige
Great weather and plenty to do around
Campus diversity
Small class size (~70 students)
Many people match within California

Cons:
Newer school than Georgetown (first class was in 2013)
Less prestige than Georgetown (91 vs 44)
Less resources than Georgetown
Appears that the school tailors students primarily for Primary Care and students with other interest venture out on their own to gain their own resources.
Step 1 becoming P/F might place more emphasis on prestige of institution for matching into competitive specialties

Georgetown
Pros:
Strong match history into every specialty
Globally recognized as a prestigious institution
New life experience
Lively community
Longitudinal tracks incorporated within the curriculum (I have an interest in public health)

Cons:
Large class size (200 students)
Expensive tuition and housing
Far from family
Competitive atmosphere
Weather
Lack of diversity
Older facilities
What are you thinking the class size is changing / affecting to make it a pro vs con?

UCR, not much value for paying more for T40s vs T90s. As per residency if you know early on what you want to do get research experience in that specialty.