UC's and Stanford secondary questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the uc's and stanford secondary questions were this year?

Members don't see this ad.

bump
please post the questions. =)

are you applying this year...is that why you are asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
i didnt apply to stan-turd, but in a nutshell... this year, from what i can remember:

ucla -- 5 questions asking anything from greatest problem you have overcome to what are you most grateful for
ucsf -- no secondary questions!! just a form
ucsd -- autobiographical sketch (this one was the hardest imo)
ucirvine/ucdavis -- both were pretty similar, 3 questions, one was on strength/weakness

I'm actually gonna apply for 2003. i just wanted to get a feel of what the questions were gonna be like and maybe start thinking about them over the summer.

why would you do that? think it over for what?
the UCs and Stanford screen their secondaries. You are counting your secondaries before they have decided that you are worthy enough to recieve on. don't worry about it yet. just chill.

Wow. That's getting ahead of things.

I can't quite recall what Stanford's was, but I think they just had a little mini essay where you could highlight anything you thought the committee might want to know. No ethics, and I think the secondary was pretty easy all in all. I think I pumped it out in about an hour.

But, seriously, I wouldn't get too worked up about this yet... Things change so quickly, and odds are you'll have about 20 of these stupid secondaries to fill out, so they get to be pretty routine after a while.

some people have suggested that i try to work on them during the summer so that i'll be less busy during the school year.

good idea in principle... didn't work for me... i ended up doing about 2/3 of them during the school year, and that was *hell*

but if you do them during the summer, you are going to end up writing a lot of essays you didn't need in the first place, and worst of all, the essays that you can use, they won't be as specific to the actual question as it otherwise would have been, which may or may not weaken your app.

your decision... best of luck!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by meddude:
•some people have suggested that i try to work on them during the summer so that i'll be less busy during the school year.•••••

Stanford's secondary asked for an essay about something specific in your background, like challenges you may have faced, your financial difficulties if you've had them, ethnicity, blah blah blah. Basically they want a diverse student body and in my opinion they really care about this essay so that they can select people from different backgrounds. Hope that helps.

What the hell, I am trying to avoid stuyding for finals...

here goes.

UCI:1) Discuss what you consider to be your personal strength and weakness.
2)Suppose that you have a background and personal history similar to another applicant. However, when the ACOM reviews your file, they fine tha tyou have accomplishments and characteristics that distinguish you from other applicants. What are those?
3)Tell us about a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience.
(all these fit in one page-- no real word limit but imagine the three questions spaced out in one page, oh, they did recommend no font smaller than 10.)

UCD:1) Describe a difficult situation you had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this wil lprepare you for a career in medicine?
2)What types of life experiences do you bring to the medical profession? How will this experience(s)contribute to the health care need of this state and country? 3)What do you hope to contribute to the practice of medicine? Where do you see youself in ten years?
(the length same as UCI about)

UCSF:1) List hte educational (not financial) resources available in your home and community prior to entering college. Please explain how you used them. 2) (optional- i think) Document previous social/educational/economic barriers....
(like someone said-- its optional!!!)

UCLA: 1) Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.2) List major paid work experience during or since college..... 3) Any hardships to which you would like the committee to give special attention ...4)Describe involvement in the ONE most important on-academic activity... 5)What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity...6)ONE most important volunteer work.. 7)One most important honor... 8) most scholarly project
(all the UCLA questions are limited to 800 CHARACTERS!)

UCSD: Autobio sketch

(unlimited but I think about 1-2 pages is good, not to be too long....)

Hope it helps you.. but my advice is to do your p-statment well now and then the UCSD one since the autobio sketch makes you think of all the others naturally...

:wink:

Thanks Meizy!

Thanks Meizy. One more thing that would be helpful is would you mind posting how many characters are allowed for each of the essays? That'd be really helpful, and I'd appreciate it a lot.

Other comments: I think that the UCSF question regarding educational resources is only if you are designating disadvantaged background. If you are not, there are no essays, just a few forms to complete.

I believe that Davis also has some additional questions if you are declaring disadvantaged status.

UCSD bio has no character limit but cannot exceed 2 pages.
UCD questions are space limited only.

Hey, for those who wanted.. I changed my original post to comment about the length... g-luck

yeah! today was my last finals! I am done! no more undergrad!