UCs.... Did you get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammmeyeam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any California residents that have gotten into any of the UCs...?

If so, which ones?

Anybody waitlisted?

If anybody doesn't mind posting their gpa and MCATs I would appreciate it so I can get an idea of the averages...

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Not me. They all rejected me. :confused:

GPA ~3.5-3.6 MCAT 34-36 (13-15 V I'm not sure how to count that...)

I applied to:
UCLA (secondary)
UCSD (rejected after initial)
UCD (secondary)
UCI (secondary)

I got an interview at USC but didn't go - as I realized I didn't really want to live there.

I took the August MCAT and applied Sept/October... so that was probably a big disadvantage. I got accepted as an out of state student at both Ohio State and at WVU. :D

Not much love here either
34 MCAT, 3.7 at UCSD

UCSF - no 2nd
Irvine - 2nd, no interview
UCSD - 2nd, no interview
Davis - 2nd, no word yet (doesn't look good)
UCLA - interview, waitlist (1st priority)

Hope this helps. Did you apply for this year or are you just starting the process? Good luck all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, all of you guys seem like competitive applicants. But still no luck with the UC's. I guess I should be prepared to leave CA in about three years.

I got secondaries from all the UC's -- completed them all except for UCI. Got interviews at UCSD and UCD; held at UCSF. Ultimately rejected at UCSF and UCLA. Accepted to UCSD and UCD (although the UCD situation was very confusing with an initial hold after interview thing).

As for stats, you can get a better idea of averages from the MSAR than what people would post on here. My impression however is that if you get a secondary, it is much less about numbers and more about your experiences and basically how you "sell" yourself in your application.

lilycat is right on...

You can have 'classic' stats, but anyone who has suffered through the process knows that stats are not all that matters.

Speaking for myself, I think I would have had a better shot if I had applied earlier in the application 'season' and maybe a different approach to 'selling' myself would have worked better. That said, going to med school this year was more important that going to med school in CA... though the cheaper tuition would have been nice! :) One of my interviewers actually commented that it was a shame that I was a CA resident, as any other state would have considered me a strong candidate.

While I would have loved to stay here in CA, I got accepted to two schools that I think fit me really well - even if that means I have to leave a lot of friends... I can always come back! Just remember it is not impossible.. just do everything you can to maximize your chances.

Let all the things you hear inform you... but not discourage you.