UC's - Merit Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somekevinguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the UC's have merit scholarships? Does anyone know when they award these?.....

same question goes for u mich and baylor...

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there are some UC Regents scholarships for medical school. I've heard of UCSF giving them and maybe Davis? I have no idea when they are awarded.

I've heard that UMich gives out full-scholarships. As for when they're awarded, I'm not sure...

Members don't see this ad :)
any news? anyone know what the criteria/qualifications are? we cant apply for one right, it has to be awared? anyone know anything?? id very much appreciate it.

Originally posted by docmemi
any news? anyone know what the criteria/qualifications are? we cant apply for one right, it has to be awared? anyone know anything?? id very much appreciate it.

if they have one, they let you know if you got it.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this. I don't really expect any sort of scholarship with my mediocre numbers, but part of why I'm holding onto Irvine is that I would go there if it would save me a great deal of money in the long run. It seems like they are only going to offer merit based aid to the very top students, and if I haven't heard by now I probably won't be getting any of that right?

I am assuming if we haven't heard by now it is unlikely. At Davis it seems like they offer the scholarship with the admissions offer or soon afterwards.

In the past, regents' scholarships are given out with the admission letter---you are admitted as a "regents' scholar"

UCLA does give out regent scholarships for sure. I know someone who got it (He also got it for undergrad at UCLA). Lucky guy, he's gonna graduate with virtually no debt.

calbee, did he get the ucla schol for class of 2008/this cycle?

i ended up getting one at davis...and that came a while after i was accepted...ill be giving that up though so hopefully a kind sdner will get it.

ucla and uci have uc regent scholarships. they have not granted any yet. but will be within the next two months as you would imagine.

hope that helps!

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Who typically gets a merit scholarship?

look at somekevinguy's stats and you'll see...:wow: ;)

the guy I know who got the UCLA Regent Scholarship has 39 MCAT (10-14-15), 3.9+ GPA, multiple leadership role, author on a published paper...

I guess it's for the truly exceptional ones.

An undergrad Regents Scholar gets free tuition first year (a little over $4,000) followed by $1,000 a year of credit to the same after that. The amount may change with the upcoming fee hike. The rest of tuition fee and expenses are on need basis just like everyone else. $wise for a med student, it is only something better than nothing.

Bell has already said that it is given with (or soon after) the admission letter.

yeah, with the new tuition increase med school regent scholarships wont pay for the entire tuition.

Originally posted by docmemi
calbee, did he get the ucla schol for class of 2008/this cycle?

Sorry didn't see your question earlier. He is currently a first year, so class of 2007 I suppose.

bump. bump.

Persistence101 said:
look at somekevinguy's stats and you'll see...:wow: ;)

Holy s*** batman. Thats a crazy profile. I know at UCLA an A- isnt considered a 4.0 A and so on, but is it the same for all UC's? If so that is truely crazy to have a 4.0 in BCPM.

Also would upper division classes in Neuroscience be calculated into the BCPM grade (under bio i suppose)??

Thanks!
Nick

nick,

at cal, an A- isn't a 4.0 either and yes, they do include upper div bio classes (ie like neuro) in the bcpm gpa. but yeah...i'm just mostly able to memorize stuff fairly easily is all.

SMC2UCLA2_ said:
Holy s*** batman. Thats a crazy profile. I know at UCLA an A- isnt considered a 4.0 A and so on, but is it the same for all UC's? If so that is truely crazy to have a 4.0 in BCPM.

Also would upper division classes in Neuroscience be calculated into the BCPM grade (under bio i suppose)??

Thanks!
Nick

Letters awarding UCI Regents Scholarships go in the mail on Monday. 5 people get them. If you have no financial need you get $1000. If you have need, the maximum you get is like $2500. This is according to what the financial aid office at UCI told me on the phone.