UCs: What would it take to leave CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Overlap12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone knows the UC medical schools are a great deal. But what if you got accepted to a great OOS private school? What school(s) would you go to over a UC? (I'm looking at UC Davis vs. University of Chicago). Would the financial aid have to be great for you to go? Or does reputation matter that much to you?

Members don't see this ad.

If you lived in only one state your entire life, then it's a no brainer--I'd go OOS, especially at place like UChicago.

ctwickman said:
If you lived in only one state your entire life, then it's a no brainer--I'd go OOS, especially at place like UChicago.
You obviously dont or have not lived in california. UC Davis is an amazing school with amzing resources and a brand new medical school opening (think state of the art facilities and a great research staff). Anyways, Chicago is cold (yes ive been there in the winter) and Davis was 75 yesterday (on Feb 7th!!). So for me, its a no-brainer, I wouldnt leave CA (again) unless it was my one and only chance to get into medical school, Just my opinion

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I went to CA for the first time this past weekend for an interview at UCLA, and even though I was only there for four days, I didn't want to come back to the bitter cold of the Northeast side of the country. I don't know how you "lifers" could possibly leave the state...or even think about leaving...

Yes, living in Cali is great, but the amount if importance that you place on weather/location depends on YOU. You decide how much weight it deserves - more than the feel of the school, etc? Some students obviously think that any school in Cali is better than anywhere else, but it depends on you.

I am a Californian, chose out of state for undergrad, and may choose to do it again for med school. All depends on your preferences.

Labslave said:
Yeah, I went to CA for the first time this past weekend for an interview at UCLA, and even though I was only there for four days, I didn't want to come back to the bitter cold of the Northeast side of the country. I don't know how you "lifers" could possibly leave the state...or even think about leaving...

You gotta pry us away, by slowly giving out post-secondary rejections from all california med schools. I still got hope to hang around in CA, but its really starting to fade.. its getting late in the interview cycle.

Plus, it will give me a new found appreciation for CA when I come back. I mean, who wants to study medicine when its 75 degrees on a sunny winter morning? Nothing more conducive to studying histology that frigid below zero weather, so UIC.. here I come.

I'm actually from Southern California so going up to Sacramento would be a fun change- but so would Chicago. Money is definitely a big consideration for me, but I'm wondering, if University of Chicago made it so it was as cheap as UC Davis, I'm not sure where I'd go. I do want to do a residency in CA, but I was actually more impressed with Chicago's match list.

Jaydiggity21 said:
You obviously dont or have not lived in california. UC Davis is an amazing school with amzing resources and a brand new medical school opening (think state of the art facilities and a great research staff). Anyways, Chicago is cold (yes ive been there in the winter) and Davis was 75 yesterday (on Feb 7th!!). So for me, its a no-brainer, I wouldnt leave CA (again) unless it was my one and only chance to get into medical school, Just my opinion

There's a whole world outside of California. Is weather your only concern?

SanDiegoSOD said:
There's a whole world outside of California. Is weather your only concern?
it's not the only concern.. but those of us who have been spoiled by good weather all of our lives (ie, mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, sunbathing, plus the option of surfing or snowboarding in Jan/Feb) have a hard time with the idea of giving it up!

of course.. i got rejection letters from UCD AND UCSD yesterday so the thought of moving away is getting more real every day!

angietron3000 said:
it's not the only concern.. but those of us who have been spoiled by good weather all of our lives (ie, mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, sunbathing, plus the option of surfing or snowboarding in Jan/Feb) have a hard time with the idea of giving it up!

of course.. i got rejection letters from UCD AND UCSD yesterday so the thought of moving away is getting more real every day!

y tu...

but it was UCD and Stanfurd.

angietron3000 said:

me too...

but it was UCD and Stanfurd.

angietron3000 said:
yeah weather is definitely not my only concern because i happen to like the rain and the cold, but CA is a different country when compared to many other states. I have been other places, and I just like the fact that many CA cities are very liberal and you can do what you want. Also, you are usually within 3 hours of the snow, beach, or a big city at any CA medical school, so thats not bad either. Its expensive to live here, but at least there are a plethora of pluses!

What I find funny is that only Californian's complain about leaving. There is a general consensus that people would rather stay than leave, and if they leave they want to come back for residency. Most people in other states don't seem as attached. Cali is tight!

Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta pry us away, by slowly giving out post-secondary rejections from all california med schools.
I'm laughing and crying at the same time. So true.

The thought of leaving is starting to grow on me. I've made four trips east this application cycle, and what seemed strange (why does every shop have an outside door and an inside door?) and foreign (dunkin donuts) is now more familiar. I'm more up for adventure (New Orleans?) than when I started this process. Lifers (me) could enjoy the mild winters forever, but I think I'm actually beginning to look forward to the change of perspective.

Yes, the weather in California is unbelieveably good. But if you don't really care about the sunshine, what would be better for a career (not in research), UC Davis or University of Chicago?

at the rate I'm going, the only way I can stay at a UC is as a cadaver :scared:

Overlap12, if weather is not important to you, then I would say that U of C is without a doubt the better of the two if you want a career in academic medicine.

To defend California a little bit........ California can hardly be seen as a single homogenous state. Just go from southern Cali to NorCal and you will experience differences so large that you would think you are in another state. Even within souther Cali, there is a great deal of diversity. One of the reasons I find California particularly refreshing is the diversity within it (not just lip service sort of diversity). Sure, a lot of bigger cities will claim to be diverse, but are they really diverse?I am Currently visiting in Chicago right now. Yes, Chicago has a good mix of races (just as an example of diversity). But men, things are so segregated out here. You could even feel this on the train. It has been voted the most segregated city in America for quite a while now.

a fair number of students in my class chose here over UC schools including me. There is more to life than california lifestyle for four years. You guys need to experience something outside the california bubble! take an OOS acceptance at a good school as a golden opportunity!

The only possible way you'd get me willingly out of CA is if the choice were Loma Linda vs. HMS or something. If it was UCD vs. HMS, I'd still have a very tough time deciding.

Davis? Only time I visited the entire place reeked of cows. All the other UCs though, it'd be tough to pry me away.

I think I'm leaning towards UC Davis just because I think Sacramento will be different enough for me so that I feel like I'm branching out. But Chicago definitely seems like a cool city. I do know that University of Chicago gives out a lot of grant money for financial aid, but I don't know how much I'll get (if any) and if I'll find out about financial aid at Davis and Chicago before May 15.

prana_md said:
I'm laughing and crying at the same time. So true.

The thought of leaving is starting to grow on me. I've made four trips east this application cycle, and what seemed strange (why does every shop have an outside door and an inside door?) and foreign (dunkin donuts) is now more familiar. I'm more up for adventure (New Orleans?) than when I started this process. Lifers (me) could enjoy the mild winters forever, but I think I'm actually beginning to look forward to the change of perspective.

You know you are right about that... I am here in Philly and all I see is the double stacked doors and nasty dunkin donuts....where are the Winchells

infiniti said:
One of the reasons I find California particularly refreshing is the diversity within it (not just lip service sort of diversity).

Sure there is a lot of diversity within the dense, small, blue islands within the vast red sea. Once you get above S.F., however, it is a completely different story. It is so lily white up here it will give you snow blindness. Also Sacramento is segregated and republican as they come (only one theater played Brokeback Mountian), not to mention there is absolutely nothing to do there. Get out while you can and experience some culture, see something different, and if it is that bad come back for residency.

Messerschmitts said:
The only possible way you'd get me willingly out of CA is if the choice were Loma Linda vs. HMS or something. If it was UCD vs. HMS, I'd still have a very tough time deciding.

Seriously? You're not kidding?

Jaydiggity21 said:
yeah weather is definitely not my only concern because i happen to like the rain and the cold, but CA is a different country when compared to many other states. I have been other places, and I just like the fact that many CA cities are very liberal and you can do what you want. Also, you are usually within 3 hours of the snow, beach, or a big city at any CA medical school, so thats not bad either. Its expensive to live here, but at least there are a plethora of pluses!

It sounded to me like in your first post that weather is your only concern (besides the fact you pre-judged me on where I have lived and were kind of a dick about it... I lived in Orinda for a while for your info). I mean you were basically saying Davis > Chicago just because of what it's like in the wintertime--read your post. If you are into big cities, liberalism and lots of culture, like you claim, and you don't mind some cold weather for a few months, I'm sorry but Chicago is a hell of a lot better than Davis/Sacramento. It's not even close. As for "doing what you want" in "liberal" speak there is nothing I can't do here that I could do in California, and I seem to remember last call in the Bay Area was 2 AM, and here in Chicago it's 4 AM so that's something I can't do in California, continue to get sloshed at 4 in the morning... :laugh:

Anyways I think if you talk to any of the students from California living in other states, their experiences will vary based on where they live. This is a big freaking country. But a fear of "change" and the fear of putting a jacket on in the winter is not enough reason for the education and experience of living somewhere else in the country for 4 years, especially in a big city. A lot of Californians move back, but a lot stay, especially seeing how much cheaper most places are relatively speaking. You could live like a king in the middle of a big freaking city for the price of a shack in Riverside.

go to chicago, i want your UCD spot

overlap, i'm all about cali, it's my one true love, but if you're young and kinda unattached and an out of state school gives you enough $ to make it comparable to a UC, i say, go go GO! :) especially a city as vibrant as chicago, it totally beats sac. i've lived in both east and west coast US, and cali is something very special. but if you're likely going to spend the rest of your life here, it is sooooo worth leaving for a while and seeing how different other parts of the US are. makes you even more appreciative of both cali culture and weather, broadens you, and gives you a better sense of what america looks like. (seriously, i had no idea there were so many white people here until i left ;) )

besides, it's kinda fun to truck around in the rain and cold for a couple years. you get to bundle up and wear gloves and earmuffs and scrape ice off your car and learn how to walk on sludgy sidewalks and all sorts of wierd and novel things. i mean, don't get me wrong, a lifetime of that is just absurd, but a couple years is kinda cool...and then when you move back and people complain about how freezing cold it is when it hits 50, you can chuckle knowingly.

congrats on both davis and chicago, what a great choice to have to make :)

ctwickman said:
It sounded to me like in your first post that weather is your only concern (besides the fact you pre-judged me on where I have lived and were kind of a dick about it... I lived in Orinda for a while for your info). I mean you were basically saying Davis > Chicago just because of what it's like in the wintertime--read your post. If you are into big cities, liberalism and lots of culture, like you claim, and you don't mind some cold weather for a few months, I'm sorry but Chicago is a hell of a lot better than Davis/Sacramento. It's not even close. As for "doing what you want" in "liberal" speak there is nothing I can't do here that I could do in California, and I seem to remember last call in the Bay Area was 2 AM, and here in Chicago it's 4 AM so that's something I can't do in California, continue to get sloshed at 4 in the morning... :laugh:

Anyways I think if you talk to any of the students from California living in other states, their experiences will vary based on where they live. This is a big freaking country. But a fear of "change" and the fear of putting a jacket on in the winter is not enough reason for the education and experience of living somewhere else in the country for 4 years, especially in a big city. A lot of Californians move back, but a lot stay, especially seeing how much cheaper most places are relatively speaking. You could live like a king in the middle of a big freaking city for the price of a shack in Riverside.
You know what, Dude, I was not trying to be a dick, I was simply giving an example of why I think CA is better, hence the reason i put in MY OPINION. I think I am allowed to have that, right? I dont know, maybe not. Anyways, I have spent time outside of CA (I was in the military) so I do know what its like. The people are different and less accepting of the not so norm, much more segregated and have a totally different lifestyle than here in CA...if oyu can't take someone not agreeing with you, than you are going to have a tough time in Med school cause im sure theres going to be plenty of people that think differently than you do. I do not "fear" change, nor do I think the OP does...he/she is simply asking for people's OPINIONS on what it would take for them to leave CA, if given the choice. And for all the people bashing UC Davis, you probably have not been there or seen the multitude of opportunites that exist in this med school, and by the way starting 2006, the med school is entirely in Sacramento, so you dont even have to step foot In the cow town of davis if you dont want to. Before you start bashing, try and learn something about what it is you are bashing so you dont look like a complete nincumpoop (sp?!) And learn to be a little more lighthearted, it will help you through your days!

Many peoples perceptions of Davis/Sacramento are pretty far-fetched. It is a great place to live with MANY opportunities, accepting attitudes, and mild weather. It is definitely not as urban as SF, NYC, or Chicago, but Sacramento is definitely a city with a diverse population that I do not find to be uber segregated, as suggested by a previous poster. I spent the first 18 years of my life living in the midwest, and I will definitely be the first to agree that the attitude in California is unique.

Anyway, back to the OP's question: obviously it's a personal choice. U of Chicago is a great school, but when i interviewed there I knew it wasn't for me. Everyone was "nice" but it definitely wasn't the warm vibe you get from people in Northern California (I've never lived in So Cal, just visited.) Also I got the distinct feeling that even though U of C is located in a bad neighborhood, it does not do much to serve the underserved in Hyde Park or Chicago in general. So, for me if it was between these two schools, I would probably choose Davis. That's definitely not saying that I wouldn't leave California though! I gave up my acceptance to UCSF to attend Mayo (the full-ride definitely helped ease the pain). It depends what stage of your life you are in...you can definitely learn alot about life and about yourself by moving across the country (I know I did) but you have to go to the school that best fits you (and your pocketbook, if it comes down to that!) Good luck!

california is the only state in the united states.

only kidding :)

Go to Chicago. I want your UCD spot, too.

Overlap12 said:
I'm actually from Southern California so going up to Sacramento would be a fun change- but so would Chicago. Money is definitely a big consideration for me, but I'm wondering, if University of Chicago made it so it was as cheap as UC Davis, I'm not sure where I'd go. I do want to do a residency in CA, but I was actually more impressed with Chicago's match list.

Davis has great clinical professors. I work with a few of them, and they are awesome. For a family practice or OB residency, this place rocks the house.
However, Sacramento would not be a "fun change" - trust me, don't go here for location. Sac is not like Needles- I mean, Tahoe is nearby, but dude, it's *Sac.*
I'd go to Chicago if I had the money. That being said, Davis is a really great school and in state tuition as well as cost of plane flights/etc would be much less expensive.
Look at the schools though. No matter how much debt you accrue, you'll pay it off quickly after residency.

Best of luck to you.

And I will ro-sham-bo lobsterMD for your spot at Davis. :laugh:

nekrogg said:
california is the only state in the united states.

I thought we're our own country? :laugh:

dabigv13 said:
Davis? Only time I visited the entire place reeked of cows. All the other UCs though, it'd be tough to pry me away.

Not too many cows living in Sacramento. Or did you not get the memo?

California's economy I believe is larger than France economy. By itself it is (I believe) top ten in the world. Does this make me richer? Noooooooooo.

infiniti said:
California's economy I believe is larger than France economy. By itself it is (I believe) top ten in the world. Does this make me richer? Noooooooooo.

Call this a crazy theory, but is the economy so large in CA b/c the cost of living is so high? Think of it like regional inflation. If you have to make 200k just to eat and have a house (not saying that's the case, but follow the exaggerated hypothetical for a second) and you need only 50k to do so in rural Georgia, doesn't that mean that a lot of the "economy" is simply fluff due to a higher regional level of inflation (about 4x)? (I.e. people are exchanging roughly the same in goods and services but the dollar figures in each area do not allign).

Dakota said:
Call this a crazy theory, but is the economy so large in CA b/c the cost of living is so high? Think of it like regional inflation. If you have to make 200k just to eat and have a house (not saying that's the case, but follow the exaggerated hypothetical for a second) and you need only 50k to do so in rural Georgia, doesn't that mean that a lot of the "economy" is simply fluff due to a higher regional level of inflation (about 4x)? (I.e. people are exchanging roughly the same in goods and services but the dollar figures in each area do not allign).

Ahem, former economics major here. No, the cost of homes in Cali is not included in our numbers. GDP is generally calculated based on new goods and services that trade hands. New home construction and renovations would be included in that number but not resale homes. Now if the overall cost of goods rises through inflation, then yes, that portion of the high cost of living would be included in calculating the size of our economy.

And what would it take to get me to leave our overpriced state? An acceptance somewhere else! But I'd cry :(

Dakota said:

California's economy is so large because the state is so physically large and has so many people. Just imagine how big the economy would be of a state the size of California on the east coast! Or even crazier, put California's boundaries on its side and put it from Chicago/Milwaukee through Detroit/Cleveland and on to New York/Boston/Philadelphia. I wonder how many people and Fortune 500 companies that would be. :eek:

infiniti said:

Random factoid: Fresno was USSR's number 1 target in the cold war.

They got mad crops, yo.

Zoom-Zoom said:

They got mad crops, yo.

I heard the PRC had three ICBMs pointed just at San Francisco! You can always tell how awesome a region is by the number of nuclear weapons aimed at it by other countries.

Zoom-Zoom said:

They got mad crops, yo.

Every locality has it's Soviet weapons rumors. For instance, some people in Danville, VA (population approximately 0) say they were a secondary target b/c the majority of airplane tires at the time were manufactured there and losing that capability would criple our airpower (b/c tires wear out so quickly on aircraft). Is the story possible? Yes. Factual . . . who knows.

Zoom-Zoom said:

They got mad crops, yo.

Random factoid for random factoid:

Did you know that Cali was almost Russian? They couldn't deal with the gophers and had to take off. I am not kidding. Imagine if Napa was vodka central instead of wine central...

etf said:
I bet if the entire east coast was one state, it's GDP would not be that much larger than CA's

Doubtful... I mean there are WAY more people on the east coast... NYC's metro by itself has as big of a GDP as LA's metro, the entire Bay Area, and San Diego's metro combined... http://www.gpec.org/infocenter/topics/economy/gmp.html

As for "big companies": http://www.cincinnatichamber.com/pdf/eco/Fortune500_Comparison.pdf

The entire state of California has 51 Fortune 500 companies. New York City alone has 49. :eek:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . What a fun debate this is.

But you know, to toss in my 2 pence, there's a lot of reasons that Cali may not be the best place for a lot of people. JUST OPINIONS - no need to leap down my throat Californians - some of you guys are great.

For example - in my four years at UCLA I have never once ceased to be amazed at the disgusting amount of flagrant ostentation that Angelinos appear to require for survival, nor the disturbing lack of empathy or even concern for fellow human beings. Live in a shoebox and drive a lexus seems to be the rule, particularly if you spend the requisite 3 hours every morning doing the gym/salon/tanning circuit. I can't spend a single day without seeing a damn porsche or H3 or anything like that, the drivers of which pay absolutely ZERO regard to anyone else on the road, and I could easily pass 30 people walking down the street without a single one saying "good morning". And that's not even mentioning the fact that it's pretty common to spend 40 minutes on the freeway and move 4 miles. On a Thursday. At 1 pm.

That sort of aloofness and/or unfriendliness is just not something I want to put up with for any amount of time, and nor is it concentrated in the "wealthier" areas. You have to go all the way up to Topanga to get somewhat friendly human beings, and even then they're more like Berkeley transplants or Venice Beach expats. Newport Beach makes me barf, and don't even get me started on anything with "Laguna" in the name.

San Francisco, in contrast, is much more friendly. In the suburbianlands you still have the aloofness and ostentation, but generally speaking people aren't anywhere near as plastic as in LA. The city itself is remarkably cosmopolitan for its relatively small size, and I can't stress enough how awesome the music scene is. Sorry, LA, but Everybody Else and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs just don't do it for me, even when paired with the indisputably awesome Jenny Lewis. Sausolito, Berkeley, Big Sur, Napa, etc. . . it's all wonderful. Unfortunately, though, you do still have the astronomical cost of living and the traffic to put up with. And, regrettably, people are still quite a bit less approachable than your average Southerner or Pacific Northwesterner.

San Diego? Well, I haven't lived there for longer than a week at at time, but generally speaking people are quite a bit more laid back than the average Angelino - must be the margaritas and the beaches talking. Traffic? Bad. Cost of living? Bad. Plasticness/aloofness? Probably less than SF-area, even. Really, I'm not too much of an expert on this place. Might be why I'm still holding on to UCSD.

Sactown I've never visited.

IIIIIINNNNN conclusion. . . were there a med school in, say, Monterrey or Carmel or Cambria, I'd be sold in a heartbeat. However, the unfriendliness, traffic, and morbidly high cost of living in the more urban areas makes it a pretty safe bet that a girl like me might very well be happier living somewhere like TX or NC or CT, particularly if scholarships and/or sweet deals make it financially more equivalent.

Then again, I actually LIKE real winters. And if I had my druthers I'd be at UW, no questions asked. Stupid WWAMI.