*~UCSD Class of 2011~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sassy doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's about time to get this thread started! Congrats to all who have been accepted and those who intend to matriculate this fall! :)

Members don't see this ad.

anyone??

come join, even if you've been waitlisted :)

:thumbup: hey there, i recently got accepted....I went to UCSD for undergrad, so I'm not sure if I am up for four more years. but we will see, its an awesome school...Congrats on your acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah! I'm glad somebody finally made one of these. I didn't have the guts to do it!

Vow, this thread needs some serious CPRing. I'm here to join if you guys don't mind.

Hi sassy doc! Hi other future UCSDers! I'm heading to UCSD this upcoming fall, and I'm super excited about it! :) I'm also looking forward to the second look weekend. I mean, I don't really need a second look to decide that I want to go there; I just want to spend more time getting to know the place where I'll be spending the next four years of my life. Have you all decided for sure on UCSD or are you still weighing your options?

Hi sassy doc! Hi other future UCSDers! I'm heading to UCSD this upcoming fall, and I'm super excited about it! :) I'm also looking forward to the second look weekend. I mean, I don't really need a second look to decide that I want to go there; I just want to spend more time getting to know the place where I'll be spending the next four years of my life. Have you all decided for sure on UCSD or are you still weighing your options?

When is the second look? I'm weighing my options right now, but seriously, the only place I might give up SD weather for is Harvard. Other than that, Hello sunny beaches :)

The second look thingamajigger is April 27th-28th. I think they sent out an e-mail with the info asking us to RSVP, with promises of more information to follow.

Wow, Harvard vs. UCSD... an enviable dilemma! :)

Oh, and Hednej, if you don't mind me asking: in what area are you level 60? You know, just in case we do end up being classmates. ;)

The second look thingamajigger is April 27th-28th. I think they sent out an e-mail with the info asking us to RSVP, with promises of more information to follow.

Wow, Harvard vs. UCSD... an enviable dilemma! :)

Oh, and Hednej, if you don't mind me asking: in what area are you level 60? You know, just in case we do end up being classmates. ;)

Lol, yeah well that's a dilemma that's probably not going to happen.

And yeah, the level 60 thing: Ah it was such a long time ago, I don't even remember where it was. I got the game right when it came out, got to 60, and quit because it was too much fun. My character's probably there somewhere if I go back. But I really hope I'll find smt useful to do this summer, cuz quitting a second time is probably even harder :laugh:

Hee hee, I know what you mean about games being too fun. I'm trying to stick to short-term ones right now so I won't have anything to "give up" when I start studying my nerdy a** off in med school. Ah, the sacrifices one must make...:D

Anyway, back to the topic: anyone else going to UCSD for sure? Or, on the waitlist but have UCSD as your top choice?

hey guys, i'm a current first-year and if you have any questions about making a decision or otherwise, i'll do my best to answer them!

Thanks, SeventhSon! I have an "otherwise" question about housing. I signed up on the student housing waitlist, but have heard that it can take quite a while to get a place. Are there other affordable housing options in the area? I'm an older-ish non-trad and will be bringing my rather vociferous kitty with me, so I realize that I may have some difficulty finding a place...

Thanks, SeventhSon! I have an "otherwise" question about housing. I signed up on the student housing waitlist, but have heard that it can take quite a while to get a place. Are there other affordable housing options in the area? I'm an older-ish non-trad and will be bringing my rather vociferous kitty with me, so I realize that I may have some difficulty finding a place...

Your own room w/ roommates =500-750
Studio = I've heard around 1000

Craiglist. Seach UTC or UCSD or La Jolla.
You want to live next to a shuttle if you are off campus because parking permits are something like 500/yr

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/roo/

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome -- thank you, fugazism! :)

Yeah, I'd like to avoid paying for parking... Is it feasible to bike to campus (provided one does not live too far away)? I'm a former UC Davis person, so bike riding is still my preferred mode of transportation to/from a school.

its do-able depending on WHERE you live. Its kind of a barge to actually get on campus, not flat.......that being said, i used to live in an apt off Gilman Dr. (there are a bunch, via mallorca is the main st. they are on) I used to bike/walk occasionally.

I am just curious how many UCSD undergrads are thinking about matriculating on here...Anyone?

I am just curious how many UCSD undergrads are thinking about matriculating on here...Anyone?

there are 29 ucsd UG's in our class... way up from the previous years. With respect to biking.. if you want to bike to the school of medicine, you want an apartment on Gilman Dr. or Via Mallorca.

I was wondering what percentage of UCSD M1s end up staying in Graduate Housing? Is the on campus graduate housing generally preferred by med students over regular housing that you would find on your own?

Could any current UCSD med students please give their opinions/recommendations on housing options? Thanks!!

I was wondering what percentage of UCSD M1s end up staying in Graduate Housing? Is the on campus graduate housing generally preferred by med students over regular housing that you would find on your own?

Could any current UCSD med students please give their opinions/recommendations on housing options? Thanks!!

I stayed at the grad housing when I was interviewing. It was better than undergrad dorms, but I don't know if I'd be able to live there for a year or two.

I really think the off campus housing is so choice in san diego. I lived in some awesome houses just a couple of miles from campus during undergrad. For example: look at this place ...all for around the same price as dorm housing...the waitlist is absurd as well i've heard

10-15%. Most live off campus.

As SeventhSon said, most live off-campus. But many of those off-campus (probably 15 in my class) live in UCSD-owned off campus housing. Additionally, another off campus apartment complex is opening imminently, so the waitlist, which is ~10-12 months, should start getting a lot shorter.

During 1st year, most people live within 2 miles of campus just for convenience sake. As people get more comfortable with San Diego in general, and as people move towards 3rd year, there is a gradual shift towards the La Jolla (real LJ, not the UTC area), Downtown-ish, and Hillcrest. That is largely due to the location of many of the rotations at Scripps Mercy and UCSD Hillcrest. Having said that, there are probably 8-10 people in my class (MS2's) who live in Del Mar, Solana Beach, Oceanside, and other places in North County San Diego.

Falx

Thanks a lot for the information on housing! Also, does anyone have the UCSD 2007 Match List? I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Go Tridents!

Anyone else wonder why our primary care ranking fell 20-some places in the last year? I'm not worried, it's just odd.

Go Tridents!

Anyone else wonder why our primary care ranking fell 20-some places in the last year? I'm not worried, it's just odd.

i dunno....maybe the plans to close all inpatient service at hillcrest and move them to thorton in la jolla, some see it as a slap in the face to the underserved of SD.

probably, however i think the % entering primary care is averaged over several years, lets just hope its not the residency director assesment score that changed!

i was wondering if any of the awesome current MS1s/2s can give a preview of what the electives consist of/what duties are? I know there are a ton of choices, I guess I was wondering some specific first hand impressions

probably, however i think the % entering primary care is averaged over several years, lets just hope its not the residency director assesment score that changed!

I think I overheard Dr. Kelly and she was saying its because students started going into the primary care specialties less last year, so that might explain it.

Double Post.

Go Tridents!

the criteria for evaluation changes at USNWR every year, otherwise they would be spitting out the same list and no one would buy it.

hey guys, i'm a current first-year and if you have any questions about making a decision or otherwise, i'll do my best to answer them!

Hey there,

Do you have UCSD 2007 Match List? I'd like to take a look. Thanks!

the criteria for evaluation changes at USNWR every year, otherwise they would be spitting out the same list and no one would buy it.

really? ha. thats really funny for some reason.

Hey there,

Do you have UCSD 2007 Match List? I'd like to take a look. Thanks!

I believe most everoyne has posted their match on the student portal (need to be current student and have password), but I have yet to see anyone compile it. Sorry.

i was wondering if any of the awesome current MS1s/2s can give a preview of what the electives consist of/what duties are? I know there are a ton of choices, I guess I was wondering some specific first hand impressions

Hmm, I was wondering about this too. Can any current students shed some light on electives? Do we get any guidance in choosing them (such as: "This elective is really time consuming, so don't take it during _____ quarter," or "This one is great if you're interested in _______")? Thanks in advance!

it is really hard to list all the electives because I have been sticking to the same one.

I do free clinic every quarter and it rocks... only thing is that you have to do a draw to get it for elective credit since it is so popular (but you can always go and not get elective credit for it). There are preceptorships for almost all clinical medicine fields you can think of (psych, peds, neuro, blah blah blah). Some of the other electives I know of are herbal medicine, clinical nutrition, medical spanish, hypnosis.... the list is really long and they are constantly making new ones.

I've been advised that doing electives during 2nd year fall, while you are taking anatomy, is rough. I am going to try to be done by early winter next year so I can concentrate on boards at that time.

I've been advised that doing electives during 2nd year fall, while you are taking anatomy, is rough.

I sort of disagree, I'd recommend getting them done during fall rather than winter quarter.

Also because everyone freaks out about anatomy (I don't see why, it's not that bad), it's easier to get into a popular elective.

Hmm, I was wondering about this too. Can any current students shed some light on electives? Do we get any guidance in choosing them (such as: "This elective is really time consuming, so don't take it during _____ quarter," or "This one is great if you're interested in _______")? Thanks in advance!

Just try anything that sounds interesting. My favorite was the applied physiology and pharmacology elective, which is really an anesthesia preceptorship.

If nothing sounds interesting, do DOC, which gets you lots of units for almost no actual work or time commitment.

I'm waitlisted! Any tips on how to get in?! UCSD is my first choice!

Write LoIs. Keep calling the dean and see if you can arrange a phone or in-person interview. Just keep doing stuff to show your interest and don't give up. Good luck:luck:

waiting to hear post-interview. has anyone received an acceptance phone call so far today? if so, what time?

am now wishing they hadn't told my interview group the exact day we would be called (or not called if not accepted!). :scared:

I interviewed approx 3 weeks ago and I e-mailed the office and they said I didn't make the meeting and will have to wait another two weeks - argh!

argh how frustrating! you didn't happen to interview on 3/15, did you? b/c that's when i was there. i suppose maybe i should email them, too, just so i'm not anxiously waiting by the phone all day...

did they say why your file didn't make it for this meeting? sorry you'll have to endure another 2 weeks of waiting!

Question for the current students (and you might really not know this):
Do all the OOS students by the second year get instate residence if they want to or is the administration really strict about it?

are we going to hear about fin. aid before May 15th?

I definitely hope so! BTW, SD doesn't give out merit scholarships, does it?

But, Fin. Aid webpage, FAQ:
When will I hear about my awards?
Financial Aid Award Letters are usually mailed in late July or early August. Entering students who are trying to decide which school they will attend may call the Financial Aid Office to determine if an estimated award may be derived from the information they have submitted.

How could they expect to notify us after May 15? That seems unfair