UCSD extension premed post bac 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection emails are out. Dat subject title tho... :(

Good luck to everyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejection emails are out. Dat subject title tho... :(

Good luck to everyone else!

Lol title was savage af. Best of luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite also 2 days ago! :)

I was also placed on the waitlist for an interview. Not really sure what to make of it, but hopefully space becomes available.

congrats! when are the interviews taking place just out of curiosity?
I believe one of the faculty will be contacting me to coordinate. The website says that interviews are in early March so most likely then.

I was also placed on the waitlist for an interview. Not really sure what to make of it, but hopefully space becomes available.
Looks like this is a very competitive program so I'm assuming that to at least be waitlisted should be a good thing?

The email that I got regarding interviews said that they already started interviewing applicants already and they plan to complete all interviews by March 24.

The email that I got regarding interviews said that they already started interviewing applicants already and they plan to complete all interviews by March 24.
Please let us know how it goes! Especially if some of us on the waitlist get a chance to interview it be good to know what to expect.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Ddude122 @kimkim88 did you all reply to Amie's waitlist email or will you just be waiting to see what happens?
It says to only reply if you dont want to wait so I was gona hold out but I have been thinking of asking if they could say what place on the waiting list I am in. What do you think?

It says to only reply if you dont want to wait so I was gona hold out but I have been thinking of asking if they could say what place on the waiting list I am in. What do you think?
I was thinking of doing the same but idk if it would even really indicate what the odds are that we come off of it. I think I'll just sit tight and wait it out

I was thinking of doing the same but idk if it would even really indicate what the odds are that we come off of it. I think I'll just sit tight and wait it out

Yeah same here ill let you know what happens!

I also received an interview a few days ago! Looks like I'll be heading down to SoCal within 2 weeks :) Good luck to everyone interviewing!

For those that have been waitlisted--good luck as well! I e-mailed Annie about this earlier but she described the process as so: about 240 apply to the program, about 80 are selected for an interview, and about 40 are admitted. Whether you are still set on attending UCSD or applying anywhere else, all the best!

On this note--does anyone have any idea what to expect for the interview? It's supposed to be 30 minutes long, and I'm wondering what they could possibly ask within that short amount of time.. (I'm pretty sure it seems short but it'll probably feel like forever haha.)

Reactions: 1 users
I also received an interview a few days ago! Looks like I'll be heading down to SoCal within 2 weeks :) Good luck to everyone interviewing!

For those that have been waitlisted--good luck as well! I e-mailed Annie about this earlier but she described the process as so: about 240 apply to the program, about 80 are selected for an interview, and about 40 are admitted. Whether you are still set on attending UCSD or applying anywhere else, all the best!

On this note--does anyone have any idea what to expect for the interview? It's supposed to be 30 minutes long, and I'm wondering what they could possibly ask within that short amount of time.. (I'm pretty sure it seems short but it'll probably feel like forever haha.)
congrats on your interview! I personally don't have any advice to offer other than to look at the forums on here from previous cycles, they may give some indication of what to expect.

I didn't realize the number of applications they sorted through was that high. Did Amie give an idea of how many people they place on the waitlist?

congrats on your interview! I personally don't have any advice to offer other than to look at the forums on here from previous cycles, they may give some indication of what to expect.

I didn't realize the number of applications they sorted through was that high. Did Amie give an idea of how many people they place on the waitlist?

Unfortunately, she did not mention anything about waitlist

Hi! Sorry I've been MIA. To answer the questions I had received, I am a current student in the program. With that said, I am not an official representative of the program and the views, opinions and positions I share are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions or positions of UCSD, UCSD Extension, or the Postbac Premed program.

I love it so far. You get the opportunity to take upper division undergraduate biology courses and one course per quarter that is taught by a member of the teaching team for the UCSDSOM. This is an amazing opportunity because we learn some of the same stuff as UCSD MS1s. Overall, the program is a great way to boost your GPA, show commitment to medicine, and build up study skills that will help you in med school.

Most of us take out loans for this program. The program offers a scholarship to a few students that is need-based - there is no way to apply. You will be notified upon acceptance.

I don't think the program publishes stats on our average GPAs because it's not descriptive. They really do a holistic review and try to determine whether you would make a good applicant to medical school with the help of this program, so they aren't just looking at academics. Re: URMs, I'm sure it's taken into consideration along with everything else, but again I'm not involved in admissions decision making.

I also want to say congratulations to everyone who has received an interview. Here are some of my general tips:
  • Be yourself. If you get in to this program, this person will likely be your advisor, so hopefully it is someone you are able to have an honest conversation with.
  • Be prepared to answer "Tell me about yourself."
  • Reflect on where you're at now in the premed journey. Why did you choose medicine? This is important because you're going to be writing about this in your personal statement, so they need to know that you have something to say.
  • Highlight why you think this program specifically is a good fit for you. Note that you're not only answering the question of what a postbac would do to help your med school application, but what is it going to give you that another postbac wouldn't?
  • Obviously, be able to answer any questions about your resume. Reread your essay.
  • Have questions for the interviewer!
Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Good luck! To those of you on the wait list, don't lose hope; it's not over til it's over.

I also want to say congratulations to everyone who has received an interview. Here are some of my general tips:
  • Be yourself. If you get in to this program, this person will likely be your advisor, so hopefully it is someone you are able to have an honest conversation with.
  • Be prepared to answer "Tell me about yourself."
  • Reflect on where you're at now in the premed journey. Why did you choose medicine? This is important because you're going to be writing about this in your personal statement, so they need to know that you have something to say.
  • Highlight why you think this program specifically is a good fit for you. Note that you're not only answering the question of what a postbac would do to help your med school application, but what is it going to give you that another postbac wouldn't?
  • Obviously, be able to answer any questions about your resume. Reread your essay.
  • Have questions for the interviewer!
Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Good luck! To those of you on the wait list, don't lose hope; it's not over til it's over.

Thank you! This has been helpful

Any idea how many they pull from the waitlist?

I'm not on admissions or anything, so I don't know for sure. It does definitely depend on the year! They're doing interviews right now, and I think if people decline their offer for an interview or if the interviewers are not really happy with the group that they've interviewed, they'll probably pull from the waitlist. This program is fairly young (I'm in the fourth cohort now) and it is getting more and more competitive, but I wouldn't lose hope.

Hey there! Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything back yet?

Hey there! Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything back yet?
I've also not heard anything, I thought I would have by now as Amie's email indicated they would "know more after March 15"

Has anyone received admittance email yet? It was supposed to be out this week.

Has anyone received admittance email yet? It was supposed to be out this week.
I have not received anything either and was contemplating emailing Aime to ask for an update. The UCSD website only says sometime at the beginning of April and I'm trying to be as patient as I can be since this is all out of my control.

I just got an email today saying I am placed on the waitlist. Don't know if they sent out acceptance/ rejection emails though.

I was offered a position on the waitlist too. I want nothing more than to be accepted into the Premedical Postbaccalaureate Program at UCSD.

Last edited:
I too got an email saying that I was placed on the waitlist as well. I'm probably going to withdraw my application because I accepted an offer elsewhere though.

I too got an email saying that I was placed on the waitlist as well. I'm probably going to withdraw my application because I accepted an offer elsewhere though.
Congratulations on your acceptance and waitlist!

Congratulations on your acceptance and waitlist!

Ah thank you! I hope you get into this program as well! I have a friend who is in this program right now and she really loves it.

I was offered a position on the waitlist too. I want nothing more than to be accepted into the Premedical Postbaccalaureate Program at UCSD.
I feel you, I would love nothing more than to go their program since it't at the top of my list. I emailed Amie and asked how the waitlist is sorted out and she said they review those on the waitlist as a whole and don't pre-rank the applicants. Hopefully we both have a shot come May when they see how much space they have open.

I just got an email today saying I am placed on the waitlist. Don't know if they sent out acceptance/ rejection emails though.
I feel you, I would love nothing more than to go their program since it't at the top of my list. I emailed Amie and asked how the waitlist is sorted out and she said they review those on the waitlist as a whole and don't pre-rank the applicants. Hopefully we both have a shot come May when they see how much space they have open.

Thank you for the information regarding how the waitlist is sorted. Hope we both make it into the program coming May!:)

This program is my top choice too. I'm trying to be patient though the suspense is killing me. Hopefully, more emails will be sent out this week.

Thanks! Yeah I just found out via email about an hour and a half ago!

I got in yesterday too!!!

Do you have any idea how you'll find housing? I wish Amie gave us a way for all accepted applicants to contact each other so that we can figure out stuff like housing and etc

Do you have any idea how you'll find housing? I wish Amie gave us a way for all accepted applicants to contact each other so that we can figure out stuff like housing and etc

Congrats! Yeah I'm not really sure yet but we need to start finding housing ASAP haha

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to the program yesterday too =D I was thinking the same thing about connecting with people in the program about housing. Anyone looking for places? I'm from La Jolla so I know the area pretty well if anyone has questions on good locations and stuff. Super stoked to meet you guys!

Just received my acceptance today! Congrats all!

Hey everyone! I just got accepted to the program yesterday too =D I was thinking the same thing about connecting with people in the program about housing. Anyone looking for places? I'm from La Jolla so I know the area pretty well if anyone has questions on good locations and stuff. Super stoked to meet you guys!
Yeah we should connect on fb or something, PM me and I'll set up a group where we can work this out! I just sent Amie an email about housing and getting into contact with others in the program too.