UCSD Post Bacc vs Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctortobe888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys-

Looking for some advice. Got accepted to both UCSD Post Bacc and RFUMS BMS Program. Have been creating Pros and Cons lists trying to decide between the two, but need some outside advice. I am from Southern California, sGPA 3.0, cGPA 3.5, MCAT 28

UCSD Pros
+ In state
+ Tuition 15,000 less than RFUMS BMS
+ MCAT Prep/ GPA enhancement
+ Cohort of 30 students
+ Personalized advising

Cons
+ No linkage to UCSD medical school
+ Don't take classes with medical students
+ New program (this will be its second year)

RFUMS BMS Pros
+ Take med school classes
+ If accepted to CMS, considered M1 Advanced and don't have to take as many classes first year
+ Strong linkage to CMS (Everyone in BMS offered an interview, I believe?)
+ Graded on curve of medical students

Cons
+ Cost
+ Don't have a car/ Travel expenses for flying
+ Only advantageous for CMS- kind of screwed if you don't get in to CMS
+ Cohort of 120 students

Anyone who has participated or knows anything about either program, feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys-

Looking for some advice. Got accepted to both UCSD Post Bacc and RFUMS BMS Program. Have been creating Pros and Cons lists trying to decide between the two, but need some outside advice. I am from Southern California, sGPA 3.0, cGPA 3.5, MCAT 28

UCSD Pros
+ In state
+ Cohort of 30 students
+ Personalized advising

Cons

RFUMS BMS Pros
+ If accepted to CMS, considered M1 Advanced and don't have to take as many classes first year

Cons
+ Cost
+ Cohort of 120 students

Anyone who has participated or knows anything about either program, feel free to chime in.

Thanks!
I believe the question boils down to: How many application cycles are you willing to endure? If you have no rush to matriculate into a medical school I would say UCSD. With most traditional Post Bacc/SMPs medical schools want to see your grades after you have completed said programs. The benefit of the BMS program at Rosalind Franklin is the time you can potentially save (one full application cycle).
Personally, I got into a few SMPs but strictly chose RFU because of the large number of BMS students that gain admission into CMS each year (60-70) and the M1A potential.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Guys-

UCSD Pros
+ In state
+ Cohort of 30 students
+ Personalized advising

Cons

RFUMS BMS Pros

Cons
+ Cost
+ Cohort of 120 students

Thanks!
It seems like those linkage promises are kind of a mirage. Where do you eventually want to practice? It's easier to stay in Cali than it is to leave and come back.

Are you planning to apply DO as well as MD? If your answer to both of those questions is yes, then I would probably go with UCSD.

Members don't see this ad :)
so my undergrad major was Biological Anthropology and I minored in Spanish, Biology and Chemistry. The UCSD Post Bacc is also a new program (this will be its second year) through the UCSD Extension school- you don't sign up for classes, the UCSD Post Bacc Admissions already has all post bac students registered and in the classes they want you to take based off of what Admissions Committees said they wanted applicants to take. here's a link to the new program: http://postbacpremed.ucsd.edu/ The new UCSD Post Bacc is no longer through the UC Consortium of Post Baccs and accepts individuals that are not URM.

And yes, I am applying to DO as well as MD programs. I am submitting my DO application in June! I am hoping to matriculate into medical school June 2015

Thanks for all the input =)

so my undergrad major was Biological Anthropology and I minored in Spanish, Biology and Chemistry. The UCSD Post Bacc is also a new program (this will be its second year) through the UCSD Extension school- you don't sign up for classes, the UCSD Post Bacc Admissions already has all post bac students registered and in the classes they want you to take based off of what Admissions Committees said they wanted applicants to take. here's a link to the new program: http://postbacpremed.ucsd.edu/ The new UCSD Post Bacc is no longer through the UC Consortium of Post Baccs and accepts individuals that are not URM.

And yes, I am applying to DO as well as MD programs. I am submitting my DO application in June! I am hoping to matriculate into medical school June 2015

Thanks for all the input =)
Just to comment on something above….you won't waste time at UCSD. They actually guide you through the application process towards the end of the program. And you won't be taking 4 bio classes a quarter. You take 2. The rest are taught by med school faculty. Most of this info is on the website. UCSD's program isn't just a year of undergrad, there are specialized classes created for your post-bacc cohort specifically that will implement your MCAT studying. don't get your info from here. call the schools.