UCSD Post-Interview Decisions - HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who interviewed over the last two months at UCSD has heard from them. I interviewed towards the end of February and I still have not heard back regarding a final decision. I am getting worried. Does a longer time between an interview and final decision translate into a less favorable decision?

Also, I was wondering if it would be helpful to write a letter to Dr. Resnik explaining that UCSD remains my TOP choice although I have been accepted to several other medical schools. In fact, I am planning to mention the name of one of the schools since it is quite prestigious. Good or bad idea? Will this be helpful? Will it even make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

I have read elsewhere on SDN that typically it takes around three weeks to get a response from UCSD post-interview. I don't know how they notify you (a phone call, maybe?), but if it's by mail it could be on its way.

They would probably accept a letter of intent, but I would call first and make sure. I wouldn't mention any other schools, but would state that despite other opportunities to matriculate, UCSD remains your top choice, if they accept you you'll definitely go there, etc., etc.

Hey CA,

I interviewed way back around the middle of September and I finally got the good news at the beginning of this month. Didn't hear anything in between so don't lose hope!

Go for it and write to Resnik. Can't hurt. Have no idea about the etiquette of name dropping in letters of intent. Best of Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Sarahl and Nerfornothin. I will definitely keep your comments in mind.

If anyone else has an opinion on this topic, I would love to hear it. Feel free to reply in this forum or to PM me. Thanks again.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is a bad idea to mention the other schools I have been accepted to in my UCSD Letter of Intent. Please let me know ASAP. I really think one of the schools I have been accepted to competes with UCSD for students and would really help my chances of *earning* an acceptance.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Just doesn't seem like good form to be to mention the other schools' names. I would just mention that you have multiple acceptances elsewhere, and while you will be happy to become a physician regardless of where you attend medical school, you would be happiest at UCSD. Just my two cents....Lots of luck to you....SarahL :)

hm. tricky subject, i'm not sure

i wrote a letter of intent to ucla and mentioned that i would otherwise matriculate at ucsd if not accepted there. i have been accepted to ivys ranked higher but i didn't mention those names... just seemed haughty; so i decided to only mention the school that i will go to otherwise (ucsd, my #2 choice); just don't make it sound cocky or whatever

hi california,

It's always a good idea to write a letter of intent. Like others have said, don't mention the schools you were accepted at specifically. Just say you have multiple acceptances and would gladly turn them down to go to UCSD. I hope you will get in.

P.S.: finding housing near UCSD (even off-campus) is insanely difficult. AHHHHHH!!!!