UCSD Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heddart

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received UCSD's secondary by e-mail today. I submitted on 6/26 and was "processed" yesterday.

There's nothing too tough on the secondary but they require that everything is e-mailed back to them (except for a form with your photo & signature) within one month of them sending the e-mail. Also, there is an essay basically having you write an auto-biography (2 pg. max).

Just wanted to let everyone know that at least one UC school seems to be moving. By the way, I'm also a non-Cali resident for anyone who cares.

Members don't see this ad.

I just recieved the e-mail as well. However, from what I can tell I haven't been processed yet. Of course this is based off of the AMCAS print-out which, from what I hear on this forum, isn't very reliable. I submitted on 7/5, so I'm not sure what info SD has of mine right now.

Does anyone know if UCSD screens primaries?

I remember reading somewhere that UCSD usually sends secondaries to about 40% of applicants. I have no clue if that's the case this year but I imagine that any school that does screen their primaries wouldn't use much more than GPA, MCATs, undergraduate school, and state of residency to screen. Consequently, I don't think that AMCAS's "one-page summary" will affect the primary screening process that much at most schools (but that's a whole different discussion).

Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved thier secondary yesterday morning. I emailed them asking if they pre-screen before sending secondaries and the reply was that yes--they pre-screened the information they had before sending the secondaries. I submitted July 13, and I didn't think they had more than just my name and email address. However, they didn't tell me what info. they had.

Would any of you who have received secondary apps from UCSD mind telling your stats (since it seems likely that this is the only info they're working from)?

Originally posted by Ai:
•Would any of you who have received secondary apps from UCSD mind telling your stats (since it seems likely that this is the only info they're working from)?

>3.7 GPA (both total and science) from an ivy, VR 12, PS 13, BS 14, Q, non-cali resident

Did any of you who received secondaries from UCSD send in printed AMCAS? We are all confused b/c on another thread people have been posting that they called UCSD and are hearing that UCSD has not received anything from AMCAS. If those posts are true, then the only way would be if you sent in a printed AMCAS. Or, perhaps more likely, the admissions people don't have their story straight.

Originally posted by mdhopeful:
•Did any of you who received secondaries from UCSD send in printed AMCAS? We are all confused b/c on another thread people have been posting that they called UCSD and are hearing that UCSD has not received anything from AMCAS. If those posts are true, then the only way would be if you sent in a printed AMCAS. Or, perhaps more likely, the admissions people don't have their story straight.•

I obviously can't speak for anyone else, but I never sent a printed copy of my AMCAS app. to UCSD.

i never sent in a copy either. Just recieved that email from them yesterday.

Originally posted by Ai:
Would any of you who have received secondary apps from UCSD mind telling your stats (since it seems likely that this is the only info they're working from)?

gpa > 3.7
took MCAT twice. first time under 30. second time mid 30's. cali resident.

Hi Guys!

This is getting stranger and stranger.. I called UCSD yesterday and asked them if they have any applications from AMCAS..and was told that UCSD has NO applications whatsoever! Now..another person said that UCSD does not want paper apps from students..but my friend had called and talked to them and they told him to send a hard copy in so that they can screen for secondaries!!! I just don't know who's telling the truth! AND...some of you have secondaries with out sending in anything! I wonder if we're in the Twilight zone! :confused: :confused:

Today I emailed UCSD SOM and they said they have an 'Admissions Report' and expect to get full apps next week. They also stated that the UCs are doing their secondaries online and they will be up today or Monday. I had read this elsewhere on SDN and this comes straight from UCSD. Why certain individuals would receive a specialized secondary eludes me.

Andrew

I was asked by UCSD through an e-mail to submit my AMCAS app. through the mail. That was about a week ago, and yesterday I got their secondary through e-mail. I don't know if that helps any.
I am from CA, MCAT 35, 3.8 Science.

I also didn't send in a paper copy, yet still recieved a secondary a couple days ago.

After the secondary, I emailed UCSD and they replied not to send a paper copy. They're working on an online application for this or next friday if I remember.

I'm a California resident. My stats are not as high as the IVY leaguers above, but they're not leagues different. My MCAT sciences are double digits, but my VR is sub-par.

Hello, this is what UCSD sent me:

Yes, we need you to send a copy of the application and a copy of your MCAT
scores. We also need to know:
AMCAS ID #
SSN
Name
Email address

UCSD School of Medicine
Office of Admissions Office, 0621
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0621

At 03:31 PM 7/26/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I was just curious if San Diego was going to be accepting direct applications
>this year in light of the delays with the AMCAS online application service?
>Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Originally posted by ajr:
•Could anyone who received the email from UCSD please post it?

Andrew•

In the email I received, there was only the secondary as an enclosure. When you open up the enclosure as a word document, there are the typical instructions on the first page.