UCSD Travel Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

flamestodust

I'm looking for a hotel close to the interview spot with nice facilities. Any suggestions? How far is the campus from the airport and how can I get there?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for a hotel close to the interview spot with nice facilities. Any suggestions? How far is the campus from the airport and how can I get there?

I don't know about the airport, but there's a great Residence Inn by Marriott that's walking distance from the school. It's on Gilman Drive, though I don't know the exact address. Rates were around $100, but be sure to mention you're interviewing because you get a discount. The place had nice facilities, a free breakfast, and a small gym.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a list on UCSD's website. I'd like one that is close to the Admissions area, since I'm unsure of the campus size.

Embassy Suites Hotel
4550 La Jolla Village Drive

La Jolla Marriott Hotel
4240 La Jolla Village Drive

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
9700 N. Torrey Pines Road

US Suites

Radisson Hotel
3299 Holiday Court

Residence Inn by Marriott
8901 Gilman Drive

The Lodge at Torrey Pines
11480 N. Torrey Pines Road

Back to top Sheraton Grande
10950 North Torrey Pines Rd.

If you've had experience with one of them, please let me know. Thanks for the comments thus far.
There is also a radisson close to the south end of campus.[/quote]

Radisson is the best; close and within 5-10 minute walking distance of medical school.

My dad lives in San Marcos but I think I may stay the night in a hotel close to school so I don't have to deal with morning traffic. Am I nuts?

melissa if i were you i would stay in a hotel - the last thing you want to deal with on the morning of an interview is the unpredictability of southern california traffic

the only one i have stayed in is the embassy - great free breakfast in the morning, and a good gym, it is however a couple minutes further than some other places

The Residence Inn on Gilman Dr. is a fairly close walk to the med school. The Radisson is also within walking distance (albeit slightly uphill). The airport is near downtown SD, a good 20min. drive to campus.

why don't you look into staying with a current student? i know we at UCSD keep a list of people who are willing to host. it's a good way to get some more info about UCSD as well. if you'd like some help getting a lead on somewhere to stay, email yvonne coleman.

if you'd like to stay at a hotel, the Radisson Hotel La Jolla is really close to the med school, probably a 10 minute walk tops. the airport is a good 12 miles south of campus, so you'll probably have to get a shuttle to take you to the hotel. if you stay with a student, you could perhaps get them to pick you up. i did that for the people i hosted last year as an ms1.

best,
falx