1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

UCSD Travel Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by flamestodust, Feb 26, 2007.

1. I'm looking for a hotel close to the interview spot with nice facilities. Any suggestions? How far is the campus from the airport and how can I get there?

2. eekonomics

2+ Year Member

I don't know about the airport, but there's a great Residence Inn by Marriott that's walking distance from the school. It's on Gilman Drive, though I don't know the exact address. Rates were around $100, but be sure to mention you're interviewing because you get a discount. The place had nice facilities, a free breakfast, and a small gym.

3. killinsound

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    http://www.estancialajolla.com/

it's right across the street (literally) from the west end of campus... however, the med school is on the south end of campus. It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk there from estancia.

it's a lot of $$$

There is also a radisson close to the south end of campus.

4. OP
    OP
    flamestodust

I found a list on UCSD's website. I'd like one that is close to the Admissions area, since I'm unsure of the campus size.

Embassy Suites Hotel
    4550 La Jolla Village Drive

La Jolla Marriott Hotel
    4240 La Jolla Village Drive

Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa
    9700 N. Torrey Pines Road

US Suites

Radisson Hotel
    3299 Holiday Court

Residence Inn by Marriott
    8901 Gilman Drive

The Lodge at Torrey Pines
    11480 N. Torrey Pines Road

Back to top Sheraton Grande
    10950 North Torrey Pines Rd.

If you've had experience with one of them, please let me know. Thanks for the comments thus far.
    There is also a radisson close to the south end of campus.[/quote]

5. FutureDr2011

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Radisson is the best; close and within 5-10 minute walking distance of medical school.

6. melissainsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My dad lives in San Marcos but I think I may stay the night in a hotel close to school so I don't have to deal with morning traffic. Am I nuts?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mikeinsd

mikeinsd predictably unpredictable
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    melissa if i were you i would stay in a hotel - the last thing you want to deal with on the morning of an interview is the unpredictability of southern california traffic

the only one i have stayed in is the embassy - great free breakfast in the morning, and a good gym, it is however a couple minutes further than some other places

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. rich4k

rich4k Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The Residence Inn on Gilman Dr. is a fairly close walk to the med school. The Radisson is also within walking distance (albeit slightly uphill). The airport is near downtown SD, a good 20min. drive to campus.

9. falx

2+ Year Member

why don't you look into staying with a current student? i know we at UCSD keep a list of people who are willing to host. it's a good way to get some more info about UCSD as well. if you'd like some help getting a lead on somewhere to stay, email yvonne coleman.

if you'd like to stay at a hotel, the Radisson Hotel La Jolla is really close to the med school, probably a 10 minute walk tops. the airport is a good 12 miles south of campus, so you'll probably have to get a shuttle to take you to the hotel. if you stay with a student, you could perhaps get them to pick you up. i did that for the people i hosted last year as an ms1.

best,
    falx