1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

UCSD, UCD, or USC? Help me Please

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kim11, May 9, 2007.

1. Kim11

Medical Student
    I'm having such a hard time deciding on a school and I was hoping to get some opinions from students that are currently at UCSD, UCD, or USC. I loved USC and county hospital, but the price sways me to a UC. Do students think it's worth it? San Diego was nice, but I'm not crazy about all the lecture hours and the reputation for students being unhappy. Is there truth in this? Davis seems to be still adjusting to the new curriculum. Is it better than before? Can anyone help?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Choosing a medical school is a pre-med issue and this thread is moved to that forum. Allopathic students can follow and respond there.

4. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    there have been tons of threads about UCSD that I have commented on and tried to separate fact from fiction for the pre-clinical years. Search for that, and feel free to PM me.

5. portero23

portero23 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Go with where your gut tells you you'll be happiest. I had to make a similar decision in college, choosing Brown University over UCSD, despite the fact that:

UCSD has a top tier biomedical engineering program (which I knew I was going to major in) vs. a little-known program like Brown's.
    My high school girlfriend was heading to UCSD
    I was offered a UC regents scholarship, whereas Brown cost me an arm and a leg
    Nice new UC housing vs. run-down student dorms at Brown a la 1764
    San Diego is much preferable as a city over Providence

Bottom line, I just wasn't really impressed by the undergraduates I met or the vibe from the various colleges, whereas I was wholly impressed by the undergraduate population at Brown. If I had to do it over again, I would have made the same decision a million times over. I was much happier going with my gut, and it will be extremely important to be happy in medical school. Constantly looking back and second guessing yourself isn't going to help either. So go with your gut.

"There's plenty of money out there. They print more of it every day." (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

And if it's money that's important, medicine is not the industry to go into... ;-)

-P23

6. mikeinsd

mikeinsd predictably unpredictable
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    first off, read this
    (it is a thread i started usc vs UCSD, some interesting points on both sides!

second - in response to portero's comment...

dude, it aint that bad, i am not sure how you can think it so horrible after just visiting it... but that is your opinion, i actually hated ucsd on admit day, it was only after i went back to see it again, by myself, that i decided i liked it a lot...

uscd is a little different, it isnt your perfect college scene, but i found that you can have as much fun as you want... you want your college to be all fun and drinking and parties then cool, join a frat, i know a lot of people who did just that, and they enjoyed there times very much... personally thats not what i am about, so i didnt join a frat, but i managed to have plenty of fun...

college is what you make of it, it while it might be easier to get drunk/party all lthe time at other universitites out there, you can accomplish that feat at UCSD just fine if thats what you want to do...

(now if you picked it because you enjoyed the smaller atmosphere/private aspect, well then i fully understand that, the two are not comparable)

so... even though i myself am picking USC, there are a lot of personal reasons that have gone into that choice (see the usc vs ucsd thread above, where i pour out my heart and soul)

and as far as UCD, I actually got an extremely late interview invite (april) after pretty much giving up on them... i turned it down because i was already in down here and feeling like USC was the place for me... had i been offered an interview earlier i would have surely gone, but oh well, i already have/had a hard enough choice to make... plus i just dont like sacto that much (to live there anyway, its not a bad town, and proximity to tahoe is a huge plus, but not enough for me)

davis is certainly more known as a primary care heavy school (pretty sure on that) while UCSD is def the place you should go if you want research

so... long story short, i think you should pick a UC unless you have very strong reasons why you think you should go to USC, personally i do, so thats my choice... but the price tag is still freaking me out... a lot

7. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The previous posts have me confused. Did you get into medschool or is this for your undergrad?

8. mikeinsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    pretty sure med school (from the op's op)... for some reason someone brought up undergrad, so i addressed it, but fairly sure the op is talking med school

9. badasshairday

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That post about Brown vs. UCSD just totally threw me off. :laugh:

10. EndSong

EndSong Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It depends on what you want. I really don't see a strong reason to choose USC at all unless you really like the school or the mostly low-income, latino pop. that County serves. I think demographics aren't nearly as favorable towards working with that community in Sacramento. Although to be fair, Davis also has those great student-run clinics. You will however certainly see that population in San Diego.

Both Davis and SD are pretty well respected but for slightly different reasons. Unless you have a pretty strong leaning towards the basic sciences (SD's strength), I don't see any good reason for you to choose SD over Davis, esp when it seems that you'd probably be happier there. Both of them are affiliated with a large number of hospitals that will give you the exposure you need and both have fairly strong clinical research depts. Also now that the Davis campus is in Sacramento, its no longer a comparison between a city, SD, and a farm-town, like Davis.

11. LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a 3rd year at UCDSOM happy to answer any questions about Davis that I can. My class was not on the new curriculum, so I can't address that directly. Feel free to PM me if you want. Good luck with your decision.

12. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm also willing to discuss UCSD with anyone by PM.

I'll even post to this thread if people have specific questions.

There is a lot of inaccurate info about this school on SDN; rumors I've seen floating around since 2003 about Saturday classes (no) and 8 hrs of lecture/day (no) and how it somehow turns normal students into gunners (no) and how there is some sort of basic science cult that makes you a poor clinician (no) and how UCSD's affiliate hospitals only attract rich people with illnesses of no educational value (dude we're next to Tijuana).

13. mikeinsd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dude they should pay you two for how much recruiting you do to UCSD :D

im not being trite - i thinks it great you love it so much, but is there anyone else out there who will stand up for UCSD?

14. badasshairday

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    UCSD is awesome. Go there for the weather and the beach. They say the most boring job in the world is being the weatherman for San Diego because its always nice all year long.

15. dasacohen

dasacohen S.D.N=addicting
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    come to SC so you can hopefully hang out with me :)

all in all I say throw money as an issue out (we'll all be in debt) and go with your gut. If that says UCSD, then UCSD, etc. I'd just go with what would put you in an environment where you will succeed.

16. badasshairday

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you a Cal grad? If so, awesome man, I go there right now and am finishing up my last semester.

17. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know of any current regular posters from UCSD besides us. I'm sure there are lurkers (Yes, I see you, post something even if it's negative!)

In the interest of not becoming a cheerleader for UCSD, I should add that there are schools I'd rather be at. They just didn't accept me.

There are lots of things that I would change at UCSD -- the relative lack of connective tissue disease in any preclinical course; lack of coordination between related elements of courses (eg. immuno vs immunopath); teaching hematology separately from pathology; too many hours spent in Social and Behavioral Sciences covering filler; saving random parts of Pharm (which is a 1st year course here) for the end of 2nd year; preclinical honors system; lack of a good 3rd year orientation; the OB/Gyn rotation; mandatory 4 week 3rd year Neuro rotation but Rads/Anes/Ophtho get zero exposure until 4th year even if you want to go into those fields.

It's just strange that none of UCSD's real problems ever come up on SDN. It's as if the people talking about it don't go to med school here.

18. Hednej

Hednej ***** Level 60
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think I should probably advocate for UCSD here as a prospective student:

Dual degree opportunities: It honestly doesnt get more impressive than their list. I know that not everybody wants to get a PhD in Philosophy or Sociology, but if you suddenly had a change of heart? Or how about the fact that you can fairly easily join the MD/PhD program through a different route?

Location: I think La Jolla is probably the nicest of all those locations. Yeah, SD is no LA, but the campus is like 5 minutes from the beach. You can visit the sea for your running sessions everyday. How awesome is that?

Reputation: If you want to do a competitive residency, UCSD hand down. I just think the opportunities for research are great there and the school's great reputation will certainly give you a hand.

Students: The students I met, my host, my interviewer, everybody else seemed like awesome people. For some reason, everyone was also very athletic. Wonder why.

Soccer on Fridays: Purely personal and totally irrelevant.

19. dasacohen

dasacohen S.D.N=addicting
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    indeed. I'm not a cal grad YET (one more week!) Cal was very fun, and I'm pretty excited about being able to stay in california for med.

As for the soccer statement from Hednuj, UCSD has a very poor club soccer team, but probbaly great pick-up soccer (I was in charge of the UC Berkeley men's club team which is in the California Collegiate Club Soccer League see www.geocities.com/californiaclubsoccer). I'm thinking about playing for the USC team, albeit I probably won't have any time.

20. portero23

portero23 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was basically saying what this guy's saying, using undergrad as an example. Don't make money a bigger issue than it really is (a small issue). Focus on the important things like being happy where you are.

-P23

21. zzyzx

zzyzx Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    for me this would be a no brainer...but i may be biased because i go to ucsd and love it. i don't check these forums very much, but if you have any questions about ucsd send me a message.

22. badasshairday

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Cool. Well if you see an Indian dude at VLSB browsing SDN, its me. :thumbup:

23. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I go to USC and really like it here. I obviously can't objectively comment on the other 2 med schools, although I did do a post-bac at UCSD, and shadowed a doctor who taught med students. I heard some really negative stories from him that his students had told him, but since they're just hearsay and not first-person accounts, I don't think it's fair to discuss them - they are the reason I decided not to apply to UCSD for med school, though.

I've posted elsewhere quite a few of the reasons why I like it here, so if you do a search (or just read the thread Mike linked to), you should be able to find those.

I agree with the others who have said not to pay much attention to money. Quite a few of my classmates turned down UCs to be here, and they're not freaking out. We're all a little scared of going into a ton of debt, naturally, but we also know that we won't have problems paying the debt back. Even primary care doctors make enough to be able to pay back $250,000 in loans, and your happiness and having a good fit are much more important, in my opinion, than reducing your loan amount.

I went to UCD for undergrad, UCSD for postbac, and USC now for med school, so I can attest to them all being good schools and good environments to live in (well, I visited Sac - didn't actually live there). You really can't go wrong with any of them.

Good luck with your decision.

24. princessyeny

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sophie,
    why did you decide on the UCSD Post Bac program? Would you recommend it over the other UC Post Bac Programs? What did you like the best about it? Thanks.

25. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Check your PM's. :)

26. LteAprlIntervew

LteAprlIntervew Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pick USC! Just because of county hospital you will be so well prepared!