Quantcast

UCSD vs. Ann Arbor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zocto8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all, I'm new to this site but I figured I'd go ahead and post a question anyway.

Right now I'm holding a spot at UM at Ann Arbor, but I just got into UCSD off the waitlist on Mon., and I've got to make my decision by next Tue. I'm from SoCal (about 1.5 hrs away) and so that's a terribly important consideration to me - I really don't want to be too far from home and family. However, I guess UMich is considered to be a slightly better program and consistently do excellent in the Match.

Does anyone have any advice?

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
zocto8 said:
Hi all, I'm new to this site but I figured I'd go ahead and post a question anyway.

Right now I'm holding a spot at UM at Ann Arbor, but I just got into UCSD off the waitlist on Mon., and I've got to make my decision by next Tue. I'm from SoCal (about 1.5 hrs away) and so that's a terribly important consideration to me - I really don't want to be too far from home and family. However, I guess UMich is considered to be a slightly better program and consistently do excellent in the Match.

UCSD is a great school as well, so I would say that the reputation difference isn't as important as your love of staying in Cali. Getting into both schools suggests you are going to be smart enough to do quite well at the match. Honestly, you want UCSD, stop feeling guilty and enjoy the acceptance!

PhotoMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rzarecta said:
UCSD is a great school as well, so I would say that the reputation difference isn't as important as your love of staying in Cali. Getting into both schools suggests you are going to be smart enough to do quite well at the match. Honestly, you want UCSD, stop feeling guilty and enjoy the acceptance!

It sounds like your heart is in San Diego. Ask yourself whether a program that may be better is worth 4 years of wishing you were elsewhere. Truly up to you.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
zocto8 said:

Dude, stay in California! Michigan winter sucks!!!! (MetroDetroit born and raised). There is not a significantly enough difference between residency match and all to leave Cali.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd say suck it up and go to UCSD.

dajimmers

Hedgehog!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd go to Michigan, but that's just because I like it here. And the winters do not suck, just the lack of mountains.

Seriously, though- stay in Cali.

Bluemirage

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above posters. There is not a huge difference in ranking to go to a place that is lower on your personal preference list, more expensive in tuition and involves major changes in your living environment (cold winters!) Also if you intend to stay in California for residency and beyond, UCSD would be a better choice. Congrads on your acceptances!

kenshinoro2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had to make same decision to make last year... loved michigan, woulda not liked leaving cali for the midwest..chose sd...ended up later turnin them down for irvine.. real happy I made all the choices I did.. go where u'll have friends, enjoy the few times u have free time etc. good luck

kenshinoro2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One side note... if I was going to end up at ucsd (at the time I was on several cali wait lists)... I would go to michigan, ucsd program is not friendly (especially in 2nd year) in many ways, and michigan is just such a great program... my only regret (once in awhile) is not going to mich cuz how great the program is... but then i look at the sun, and forget such silly thoughts.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go to UCSD. Bluemirage is right, there is not a huge difference in ranking between the 2 schools. UMICH: #9 research, #27 primary vs. UCSD: #14 research, #7 primary. Why pay more money to move away from your family and friends? Not to mention the sun and the beaches!!!

Welcome to the family, my future classmate!!!

Surgeonizer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a student at Michigan. The education here is outstanding and you'll have the opportunity to work with some of the best clinicians in the world (many of whom are wonderful teachers). But the fact of the matter is that UCSD is an excellent school, too. Heck, 99% of the med schools in the US do an outstanding job of churning out high quality physicians. So you should go where you'll be happy and don't pay attention to rankings. Your professional success will depend almost entirely on your own drive and aptitude NOT on institutional prestige. Go where you'll thrive.

Good luck with your decision.

P.S., The winters here are a bit rough at times, but the summer, spring, and fall are absolutely beautiful. Great weather often comes at a high price...except in San Diego where it's perfect all the time!

PrincetonRocks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No questions. UCSD! It's cheap, it's great. And nothing beats the beach. This west coast girl got kicked to the east side to New Jersey for undergrad. I'm so glad to be back in Cali for med. school.

Best of luck.

bridge01

hallo!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
am having the same "problem." i feel like i spent so much time learning about u of m, but i dont really know much about ucsd. can someone explain why ucsd has a rep of being unfriendly?

billybama

Vote for me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you have never lived in the midwest and abided a midwest winter, you might be more content at ucsd. chances are good that you will be miserable (comfort-wise) in michigan, and you will regret NOT choosing ucsd. on the other hand, i don't think that at ucsd, you would regret NOT choosing umich. (crazy grammar, but i hope it makes sense)

i am not trying to be offensive. michigan is a GREAT school as is the town of ann arbor. those who are familiar with that kind of weather would not have issues with it and would be happy as clams. you, on the other hand, are more likely to have regrets for giving up the comfort of la jolla/san diego. as both are such top drawer schools, the deciding factor can easily rest on comfort and cost.

as for the whole unfriendly thing. huh? people are people wherever they go to school and it seems kinda silly to make a blanket statement as such. i am sure you will find friendly and not as friendly people at any school.

go where your heart takes you and congratulations on such a lovely dilemma to have!!

bridge01

hallo!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks!

to clarify, i've read things on sdn about how the ucsd administration can be unfriendly to students. some of those posts are from ucsd students, so there must be some truth to that? any examples? is the situation improving?

for my part, when i interviewed there, one M4 said that she didnt like how the deans letter for residency includes both strengths and weaknesses which can be damaging. but she also said the person who writes the letters is changing next year.

Surgeonizer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The administration at Michigan is great. The administrators really strive to accomodate students' requests and are very responsive to any complaints that may arise. One thing you ought to keep in mind about Michigan, something that many people are wholly unaware of, is that it has a department of medical education. Departmental status for medical education is quite rare among medical schools, and Michigan is widely regarded as a leader in the field of medical education (the reason why I know this is that I'm working as a researcher in this department over the summer). I think the presence of this department shows how dedicated the faculty at Michigan, indeed the institution as a whole, is to the education of students.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with the majority on this one and say go to UCSD.

Good luck.

Mutt

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCSD is notorious for it's competitive environment among it's med students. And none of them are happy with having to live like that - even if UCSD is a good/reputable school. I would suggest you ask people what the environment at UMich is like among students - after all, that is with who and where most of your time is going to spent (not at the beach!).

I would go to UMich if I were you. You'll probably have better chances at getting to where you want to go and the ride will be a lot more enjoyable.

PhotoMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MB in SD said:
UCSD is notorious for it's competitive environment among it's med students. And none of them are happy with having to live like that - even if UCSD is a good/reputable school. I would suggest you ask people what the environment at UMich is like among students - after all, that is with who and where most of your time is going to spent (not at the beach!).

I would go to UMich if I were you. You'll probably have better chances at getting to where you want to go and the ride will be a lot more enjoyable.

The "notorious" social climate at UCSD is pretty much hearsay. Just ask current students and they will tell you that is false. Good luck deciding!

ramblinwreckie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know a relative doing her residency at UCSD, and she has a less-than-glowing view of the UCSD med school and its students.

however, if i had the choice, i would go with UCSD over UMich. assuming you would like to practice in SoCal, UCSD would probably be better for you. that's not to say that you couldn't match from UMich, but it would probably be easier for you going to UCSD.

secretasianman

Glorified Enabler
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ramblinwreckie said:
i know a relative doing her residency at UCSD, and she has a less-than-glowing view of the UCSD med school and its students.

however, if i had the choice, i would go with UCSD over UMich. assuming you would like to practice in SoCal, UCSD would probably be better for you. that's not to say that you couldn't match from UMich, but it would probably be easier for you going to UCSD.

coming from ucsd, i'm not surprised about all these rumors and hearsay. i still feel though that what does immediately affects us would be what the other ppl in our entering class are like, and thus the social climate is probably different for each matriculating class. if you can put all these gripes about ucsd aside, you seriously can't beat the perfect weather and the thousands of dollars you'd be saving if you came here.

Mutt

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PhotoMD said:
Just ask current students and they will tell you that is false. Good luck deciding!

I know four of them, and they all feel the same way....the competition makes it suck.