Ucsd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody can share what type of program UCSD is, fellowship placement, malignancy, etc?? I have an interview there next week. :)

Members don't see this ad.

damn maligant program. the residents at Scripps Mercy call their one month at UCSD: "Scripps Mercy appreciation month." But hey, you've got to be pretty happy if you end up in La Jolla no matter what happens

About 3 years ago, when I was applying, I heard of an exodus from the UCSD program...about 6-8 categorical residents left the program in one year...to seek positions elsewhere. I haven't heard terribly good things since. Those who enter beware.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed there, I was told it was only 2 or 3 residents that left. One changed fields, and the others I think changed programs. Residents leave programs all the time. Even UCLA had IM residents that left for other fields. My tour guide at ucsd told me that the worst part of the UCSD exodus was that the heads of the department didn't do much to try to work with the unhappy residents, but rather just let them go.

Make sure to listen to people who know what they are talking about. I am a UCSD resident and can speak freely about its qualities and drawbacks, as far as scripps mercy is concerned that is the holy grail for slacking transitional years, and ANY where would make them appreciate their little microcosm of easy living. As far as some of the folks who left, one went to Northwestern for spousal reasons, and another was not asked to return, at no point was there an exodus. This past graduating class had the 3rd highest IM board scores in the country and highest out west.

We love it here, great environment lots of work, but also autonomy, and even better fellowship placement. Most of us chose to be here over high faluting east coast programs because of the patient population (immigrants-county patients, transplants, BMT, HIV, and VA guys) NO where else on the WC can you find that. Make sure you take anything you hear with a grain of salt and figure it out for yourself.

trust your gut feeling when you visit the program. nothing anyone says on this forum really matters in the end because you are the one that is obligated to spend 3 years of your life at that program.

ps-let us know how your interview went.

I haven't interviewed there yet but I do know that Dr. Schoene is the brand new residency director and he is one of the coolest docs I have ever met. Expects you to work hard and care about your patients but in return will be a tremendous advocate for his residents. Once heard him take some ENT's to task for not coming in when an intern asked them to consult. Plus, the guy floated a swan on a yak (or some such animal) on the side of Mt. Everest. How cool is that?