Ucsd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantasty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to rehash, but does anyone know much about UCSD's medicine program? Or their physician-scientist program? I'm not talking about stats as much. I'm more interested in the environment. I keep reading a lot of discussions from the UCSD med school about students being unhappy, but I'm interested in the attitudes in the residency program.

Members don't see this ad.

I am resident at UCSD and think the atmosphere is our best attribute, we have a good bunch of residents with a lot of autonomy and do a lot of learning from each other, absolutely best diversity of cases on west coast
BMT/Transplant/Border pts with all kinds of illness/HIV/AIDS/VA and private hospital--NO other program can boast that kind of diversity

I also agree... I'm a med/peds intern at UCSD and so far am having a blast! The residents here are awesome, and the faculty have been great so far. I love international medicine and ID, so to have morning reports of miliary TB and other such ailments is great. It's a perfect mix of county and academic populations that is hard to find at other places or in bigger cities where the programs compete for patients. Plus, it's in San Diego!! Lots of the residents here could have gone to big-name places out east, but wanted to live here and hang out with people with similar interests. I think all of that makes it a great place to be.

So I'd say come on out and take a look... I think you'll like it. Oh, the new Program Director came down from Seattle about a year and a half ago and is AWESOME. Big reason I'm here.

I'm a 4th year student @ UCSD going into medicine, so my information is somewhat second hand, but all the medicine residents Ive worked with have been excellent, and for the most part happy. There seems to be pretty good support and not too much scut work. Good pt. diversity. Many of the faculty are are well known, the cardiology & pulmonology departments are really top notch, and all I've come across have been interested in teaching.