UCSF Acceptances Coming UP!?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UCDsikh, Dec 7, 2002.

1. UCDsikh

UCDsikh Junior Member

I remember UCSF saying the first acceptances are sent DEC 15th. So that is coming up!! As you can tell I am waiting. I am sure many others are crossing their fingers. Pour your feelings.......
    I Interviewed 10/21

And the best of luck to everyone, especially for whom UCSF is the first choice!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cbpremed

cbpremed Senior Member

Oh God...that's right...it is coming up. I'm getting scared now....
    There are so many schools I haven't heard from, this is getting frustrating. I just hope my UCLA interview goes well, cuz....I need to stay in LA. (But SF isn't that bad I guess). Good luck! ;)

4. pallhaco doce

pallhaco doce Member

Wow, I completely forgot about the upcoming notifications. I intentionally "forgot" about it, just so I would not obsess over it. I interviewed on 11/5, so it still may be a bit early to hear, but I would absolutely love to go to UCSF. I guess I can start counting the days now.

Good luck and be sure to post if you get good news!

PD

5. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member

I called UCSF to give them a temporary address, cause I'd be out of town for break. They said that only a "very very small number" of acceptances are going to be issued on the 15th. So if you happen to not get one, don't sweat it. Best of luck to all.

6. UCDsikh

UCDsikh Junior Member

7. I'm anxiously waiting for UCSF as well. Since Dec 15 is a Sunday, do you guys know if they're going to notify earlier that Friday or on Monday? I loved UCSF and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :eek:

8. jot

jot

doh - i had forgotten about it too:) . dunno if i interviewed eraly enough to hear on this cycle; good thing i'm swamped with papers and finals ... good luck to ya
    -jot

9. paean

paean Senior Member

Later. Everything at UCSF having to do with admissions comes later. Since this is the first round, and they've been considering interviewees since September, unless you were there early, don't expect to get notice yet. If it's anything like last year, many of the later October interviewees won't be considered at the Committee until the Jan 15th meeting, and November and December will also get pushed back to Jan 15 or Feb 15, or even later. So please don't get discouraged if you don't hear anything.

10. UCDsikh

UCDsikh Junior Member

11. skigirl

skigirl Member

Does anyone know if the admissions committee meets once a month (around the 15th) or more than once? Paean, maybe you just answered this with your last post...But I've also heard that the committee decides on candidates as they interview. Just wondering if anyone has the definitive answer. Thanks! And god luck to everyone this week!!:)

12. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member

They send out letters once a month, so I'd say once a month is a good assumption.

13. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

any news???

14. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

so i guess no one has heard today??

man .. what a sweet christmas it could be!

15. paean

paean Senior Member

Last year we were told that the ad com meets only once a month on the 15th, but I think that they may meet more frequently when they are dealing with the waiting list at the end of the summer. Either that, or they do rank us more that they admit.

Right now, if you don't get a letter this week, assume that you won't be reviewed until Jan 15th. Good luck, and try not to fixate on the wait.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Gaberman

Gaberman Member

at the end of my interview day, i asked someone in the office how many acceptances were sent out in december, and i think they said something like 10-15.

i interviewed on 10/7...so maybe? hopefully?

ucdsikh: between stanford and sf, where would you go? i just got stanford last week and this question has been rolling around in my head. i'm leaning towards sf.

18. UCDsikh

UCDsikh Junior Member

Gaberman, I'm waiting to hear from UCSF...then it will be based on financial aid and where I think I'll be happy. I really like the Stanford campus, but SF life should be cool too. I'll decide when I have all the cards in my hands, and after another visit. --later.

19. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

has anyone heard (or know anyone who has heard)??

20. paean

paean Senior Member

They sent out letters yesterday.

21. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

hey! thanks so much for the info!

if one showed up in my mailbox, i think i would wet my pants :)

22. skigirl

skigirl Member

Did any SF locals hear anything today?

23. Trix

Trix Senior Member

The amount they send out is REALLY small in the first batch. There are several committees the applications go through, and they get passed between committees, which is why it takes so long. See paen's post/timescale it's about right.

24. jtheater

jtheater Senior Member

So my parents just called me this morning (I live in DC for work for this year, but am from Marin, just the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge from SF), and they said that a large envelope came from UCSF. I GOT IN!!!!

This is my first school to get into and my first choice! I interviewed Nov 18, am in-state, non-urm. My stats are not overly impressive, but I think my personal statement and activities showed that UCSF was the right school for me. (Needle exchange with gay and transgendered prostitutes, work in developing nations, clinical research, currently work for federal govt.) So for everyone out there who's stats fall below their avg., there is definitely hope to get into your top choice.

I am still keeping a few applications active because although I love SF, I am a little sad that I will be leaving the East Coast, as I have made some great friends here. Also, if you interviewed before me, don't worry, it could be that your application hasn't been reviewed yet. Remember that some reviewers take a really long time, while others are really quick and turn stuff in promptly (I know that is what happens often at Stanford). I think I was just lucky. Anyways, enough rambling, thanks for everyone's support and help on this network. Good luck to everyone!

J

25. lola

lola Bovine Member

congratulations jtheater!! :clap:

26. LoneCoyote

Resident [Any Field]
    Jtheater, congratulations, that is totally awesome!!

:clap: :hardy: :hardy: :clap:

27. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ucsf kicks ass.

that is so so cool!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

28. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

jtheater, what kind of deadline do they give you for replying to accept the spot? It seems silly for them to send out acceptances this close to when people are generally leaving school for vacation.

29. jtheater

jtheater Senior Member

Two weeks is the deadline. However, I highly doubt that if someone turned it in late that they would rescind an offer. Most schools are pretty understanding about all that stuff. And there office will be closed too during that period.

J

30. VirtuoJ

VirtuoJ Member

congrats jtheater! :clap:

when was the envelope postmarked? did you get it by regular us mail or fedex? i'm anxiously waiting for an ucsf response!

31. souljah1

souljah1 Attending

congrats jtheater!! if you have any questions about ucsf or anything..let me know and i'll do my best. what a great holiday gift!!!

to all: i wouldn't worry about deadlines once you have been accepted. believe me, they'd try and contact you multiple times before recinding an acceptance. in fact, i've never heard of that.

they send them regular mail, not fed ex. paean said they were sent a couple days ago. i remember last year ladyinred had to wait a week for her acceptance to arrive in her mailbox and she lived in san francisco! just have to have patience.

again, congrats jtheater!!!

32. jtheater

jtheater Senior Member

I don't know when it was post-marked. I was having everything sent to my parents house since I was out of the country earlier and have been moving around DC until I recently foud a permanent place to live. But paen said they were sent Tuesday I think. I recieved it last night, but my parents didn't check the mail until this morning.

Thanks guys for all your words. I am still in shock. Driving across the Golden Gate Bridge everyday in high school I could see UCSF in the distance and always said... that is where I want to go. Can't believe it will actually happen now.

J

33. lalalala

aww yeah jtheater! very cool news :) :clap: :)

34. cbpremed

cbpremed Senior Member

Congrats jt...UCSF rocks! Hopefully some of us will hear soon. :cool: :clap:

35. smid

smid Member

I got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday!!!!!!

yay!!!!

36. Trix

Trix Senior Member

Congrats to you both!!! UCSF rules!!

37. UCDsikh

UCDsikh Junior Member

wow, congratulations both of you!! Must feel great! Looks like both of you took some time off from school...great way to come back in!!

And much luck to those waiting....

38. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member

oh ya! they have made it to the east coast!

just heard from them. ahh. i am going to be drunk until the fall :)

39. lola

lola Bovine Member

congrats med app 2003!!!! :D

40. LoneCoyote

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats smid and MedApp2003!! I'm sure you'll all be enjoying this holiday!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

41. skigirl

skigirl Member

Well, when I left to go home for the holidays last Thursday, my mailbox (in CA) was still empty...But, I just got the word from the neighbor checking my mail. The big envelope must have arrived last Saturday or Monday? Just in case an any Californians left the state in despair last week, there might be something waiting for you when you get back... :clap:

42. LoneCoyote

Resident [Any Field]
    Congrats skigirl! That's really awesome :) :clap:

43. sdnsdn

sdnsdn Member

Hi SkiGirl,
    When did you interview?

44. skigirl

skigirl Member

I interviewed during the very first week -- on October 3...Let me know if there's anything else I can tell you. Good luck! :)

45. goldenbears18

goldenbears18 Member

Wow ... 17 days after having been postmarked, a UCSF acceptance was sitting in my mailbox today. I'm in!

Skigirl - I think we interviewed on the same day at UCSF and at Cornell, too. you just graduated from UCLA, right?

46. skigirl

skigirl Member

Hey goldenbears18...Nope, I graduated from Williams a while back, then I did the Post-Bac program at Scripps. That's wierd...Were you at UCSF Oct. 3? There were only three other people there with me that day, and I didn't see any of them when I went to Cornell a couple weeks later....Who knows...Congratulations on the big acceptance! :clap:

47. goldenbears18

goldenbears18 Member

Hi Skigirl,

Oops, now I do remember meeting you on october 3 and must have confused you with another interviewee. For some reason I thought you were an out of state applicant at the time ... anyways, I was the girl from Yale on the ucsf day. Congratulations on getting in, maybe we'll be classmates next year!!! :)

48. rina33

rina33 Junior Member

Congrats to those that said they got into UCSF! I just heard on Dec. 19 about my own acceptance, and wanted to extend a little :clap: to those that happened to hear early! I interviewed on Oct. 3 --I think there were other SDNers there on that day! I'll look forward to having you as classmates, or at least to seeing you on the accepted students weekend! Congrats again- and the best of luck to those of you waiting to hear. I have a friend at UCSF in the first year who told me most of his class was notified about acceptances very late in the season- closer to April or even later. So who knows when they might feel inspired to send a little snail mail your way.

49. skigirl

skigirl Member

Wow! Oct. 3 turned out to be a lucky day to interview! I remember both you ladies, and you both seemed very cool -- I think our class is off to a great start. :) (Rina 33 -- you just are just about to/just did graduate from UCLA, right?) Congratulations everyone!!

50. rina33

rina33 Junior Member

Regarding skigirl's earlier post: I did just graduate from UCLA. I'm loving this mini-retirement from things academic until med school! I'm just working and enjoying life right now. I can't believe there were 3 of us SDNers that interviewed at UCSF on Oct. 3rd! That's crazy. Again, congratualations to you and all others that have recently heard! I am excited to meet everyone soon!:)

51. UCDsikh

UCDsikh Junior Member

I think letters for Jan are being mailed tomorrow, Jan 22nd.

Good luck!!

52. just figured I'd bump this up