Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

UCSF Alternate List Movement?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DeltaMan, May 28, 2002.

1. DeltaMan

DeltaMan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Has anyone been taken off the UCSF alternate list yet? Any ideas when the list will start to move?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DeltaMan

DeltaMan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump up....still no news?

4. DeltaMan

DeltaMan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump again

5. UCSFallthway

UCSFallthway Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

6. moongirl

moongirl Junior Member

I heard the list can move any day form now until matriculation in september. We'll be notified by mail! Good luck!! Please post if anyone hears any additional info!

7. English Chick

English Chick Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

By mail? Don't most places call if you get off the waitlist?

8. English Chick

7+ Year Member

Just to update everyone: I called the admissions office this morning and was told that no offers have yet been made from the wait list, but that the committee was expected to begin making offers "soon".

Not very helpful, I know, but I thought I'd pass it along.

9. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I called admissions today (June 5). I was told that they will start taking people off the list soon (I got the impression in a week or two). They will send letters (regular USPS mail) for those admitted in June, but in early July they switch to phone calls to expediate the process. They expect to be done filling the class by late July, but some years there are one or two acceptances in August and even September (if a student withdraws at the last minute or even the first week of classes).

Also, it sounded like they are giving California residents preference.

10. UCSFallthway

7+ Year Member

That sounds good

11. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump.

any news?

12. DeltaMan

DeltaMan Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump up

has anyone called lately?

13. English Chick

7+ Year Member

DeltaMan--

I'm gonna call UCSF this morning about a change of address. I'll let you know if I find out anything about waitlist movement.

I'm going nuts too ... I understand how you feel. :) Where are you headed if you don't get into UCSF?

14. </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by English Chick:
    <strong>Where are you headed if you don't get into UCSF?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was wondering the same thing. What schools are you holding onto now? I am holding onto Ohio State (my state school).

Also, has the admissions office told anyone why it is taking them so long have some movement... shouldnt it start soon after May 15th?

15. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

English Chick - did you learn anything when you called today?

I'm holding at Case Western, which I will be happy to go to. Just not as happy as UCSF. I'm from the bay area, most my family is here, including my big extended family, and more and more, I want to stay. On top of that, I love the school, and would even if it were in Cleveland too.

16. English Chick

7+ Year Member

Sorry, I forgot to post. I called (FYI: turns out you can change your address over the phone; they don't need a letter) and was told that they made "a few" offers this week. She said things were moving "very slowly" and wasn't sure when any more offers would be made.

Doesn't look good.

I'm in at UC Davis, which I would be completely ecstatic about--I think it's a better school for me personally, overall--except that I'm getting married in August, and my finace starts his Ph.D. at Stanford in the fall. So attending Davis means moving 100+ miles from my new husband, and seeing him on the weekends, I guess. All of this raises the stakes substantially on UCSF, since going there would mean we could live together, something I'd kinda like to do. *sigh*

Good luck to all. I really hope we meet up in the fall.

17. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks English Chick. I guess I'll start watching my mailbox again, if acceptances are starting to trickle out. My aunt went to Davis while my uncle worked and lived in Santa Cruz while they were engaged. She says that UCSF would have been a whole lot easier, but it did work out for them. 100 miles is a lot, but I have met people for whom that is their daily commute. Not a recommendation, however.

Best of luck, and let us know if you hear anything.

18. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

English Chick, Delta, Paean,...

I have my fingers crossed for you all. UCSF moves slllloooowwwwllly. I hope to see you all in September!

19. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Souljah. Your experience of being accepted after waiting so long gives me hope for all of us. I suppose that learning a little more patience is good for me. :)

20. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

21. UCSFallthway

7+ Year Member

Hola everyone,

wassuppers