UCSF and other Screeners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what % of applicants get the secondaries from screener schools? (specifically, UCSF).

For UCSF, I wouldn't imagine the screened pool be much larger than the interview pool, since there are no essays in the 2ndary.

Members don't see this ad.

geno2568 said:
what % of applicants get the secondaries from screener schools? (specifically, UCSF).

For UCSF, I wouldn't imagine the screened pool be much larger than the interview pool, since there are no essays in the 2ndary.

This info is posted on the UCSF website.... http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/profile.aspx

Admission statistics for 2005

5298 AMCAS applications received
1515 secondary applications sent
538 applicants interviewed
141 students enrolled

I imagine most schools have simliar numbers. I am not sure what the deciding factor is for choosing applicants to interview, but last year I wrote a quick "two paragraph update" which included my activities and my interest in UCSF. Hope this helps.

rcmustang65 said:
I imagine most schools have simliar numbers. I am not sure what the deciding factor is for choosing applicants to interview, but last year I wrote a quick "two paragraph update" which included my activities and my interest in UCSF. Hope this helps.

Did you write that update post-secondary and pre-interview? Did you include it with your secondary? Just curious because I'm really leaning towards UCSF right now. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
rcmustang65 said:
This info is posted on the UCSF website.... http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/profile.aspx

Admission statistics for 2005

5298 AMCAS applications received
1515 secondary applications sent
538 applicants interviewed
141 students enrolled

I think it is clear UCSF's screen is not just number based.
Other schools that screen do so based on numbers only. Therefore I don't think it is safe to say other schools screen as heavily as UCSF

HairyCow said:
Did you write that update post-secondary and pre-interview? Did you include it with your secondary? Just curious because I'm really leaning towards UCSF right now. :D

In the secondary there is a portion that says that "If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may submit a supplemental list (maximum two pages)." Hope that helps... Good luck!