Naijaba

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm curious to learn more about the atmosphere/curriculum at these two schools. They are the only two located in the top 10 for both primary care and research (if you choose to support US News Rankings). Is there an equal balance of research-focused medicine and patient-oriented instruction or must you chose one path or the other? For example, Harvard offers two pathways for its MD program: HST and New Pathway, with the former research-intensive and the latter more patient centered.

Schemp

drawing infinity
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Seattle
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm not a medical student, but I am going to UW for my undergrad so I've looked into UW quite a bit, particularly because I'm interested in primary care.

This is really just conjecture based on what little I've read, but my suspicion is that there's a much greater focus on primary care, and if you wanted to get into research you'd be better served going the MD/Ph.D route there. From accounts I've read online and such, they really put a focus on primary care, community service, and helping underserved and rural areas.