UCSF and written orders?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonkaNerds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that written notes and orders are a little ancient for such a stellar academic program like UCSF. For any residents does this slow down your work flow? Is there any push to update to an EMR?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been kind of shocked at how much these "top" institutions have lagged in updating EMR. Programs that seemed ancient to me have included UCLA, Penn, harvard (forgot which one)

It's um, UCSF dude. If they had porta-potties for bathrooms they'd still be one of the best academic institutions in the world.

Is this year's class a bunch of princesses or what?

Write out your ****ing notes and orders. Man up. Or go home.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's um, UCSF dude. If they had porta-potties for bathrooms they'd still be one of the best academic institutions in the world.

Is this year's class a bunch of princesses or what?

Write out your ****ing notes and orders. Man up. Or go home.

Buyer's market.
People can look for perks like these to help them decide.
It certainly played a role in my decision last year.
Deal with it.

they are rolling out epic now. if anything the roll out period would be the time that I would try to avoid... I don't think that it's a big deal to have written orders.

Buyer's market.
People can look for perks like these to help them decide.
It certainly played a role in my decision last year.
Deal with it.

This.

Paper charts were a factor for me last year too. I'm going to practice electronically when I'm done training, and I should train that way.

I too was surprised by how many 'big-name' places were still paper, or if electronic, were some crude amalgamation of disparate programs(i.e, one program for labs, one for outpatient records, one for inpatient records, one for radiology, etc). I particularly remember a certain California program that had almost everything electronic, EXCEPT the vital signs. Interns told me they had to spend half an hour every morning running around their hospital to find and write down their patient's overnight vitals.

No thanks.