UCSF anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from UCSF? I know they send out a small batch of acceptances Dec. 15th and then the 15th of each month after that.

If anyone hears anything please post!

THANX A MILLION!

Members don't see this ad.

jimi,

Do you know what % of applicants that receive a secondary are invited to interview? Sorry that I don't have an answer to your question (wish I did)!

VAD
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Vad,

I have read that about 1/3 of the total applicants are given secondaries. Of that 1/3, about 1/3 are interviewed. In total though I have heard they interview about 500 students.

So if you want numbers, based on MSAR they have about 5200 applicants. So about 1500 get secondaries and 500 get interviewed.

Good luck and post if you hear anything!

smile.gif

Anyone who took the August MCAT get an interview offer from UCSF? Or any UC for that matter?

Having been wait listed at Stanford, I'm starting to think I'll be wait listed at UCSF. This is truly painful!

Don't panic yet. I think they only send out a relatively small number of acceptances in December, and lots of people get in much much later. (Me, I got in off the waitlist, so I didn't find out until the end of May...and there are plenty of people in my class who got in even later than that). It's still early. Also, don't use Stanford as any kind of indicator. Their admissions seems a little weird to me, just based on people I've talked to who have been rejected there and gotten in everywhere else, or vice versa. Good luck everyone.

Emily1,

Is it possible to send you a personal email asking for your thoughts, re: a recent and unexpected UCSF admissions event?

Let me know...

[This message has been edited by Oceandust (edited 01-02-2001).]

I've heard that the UCSF secondary was a simple "sign the form and give us money" from some people, but other people told me there are 3 short answer questions (a la the other UCs). Which one is it?

For my UCSF secondary, it was actually only one page of filling in appropriate contact information and designation of which program I was applying to, waiver of right to see recommendations, etc.. There were optional essays for the MD/PhD program, the JMP program with UCB, and a few short essays if you designated yourself as socioeconomically disadvantaged. If you're just filling out the general secondary form, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes!

Good Luck!
VAD
smile.gif

Everything Vad wrote is true. But there is also a little tiny statement that says if there is any information you would like to tell the committee that the AMCAS did not provide enough room for, then you should include it in a maximum of 2 pages.

You guys must think I'm a wacko, and maybe i'm going crazy, but here I have my short answers for the secondary, where I had to list leadership positions in campus org's, write about a significant extracurricular activity, volunteer activity, research, and clinical experience. This was expanding on my AMCAS app.

confused.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Caffeinegirl...

maybe you're referring to the UCLA secondary, which had several short answer questions...like VAD I didn't remember seeing anything asking for elaboration on the UCSF secondary, just strictly bio. info. (unless MSTP or UCSF-UCB Joint Prog.)

-O.

I was one of the people who received an acceptance letter from UCSF in December. Needless to say, it made my Christmas! I interviewed there during the first week of October.

red fox,

Congrats!!! Is UCSF your first choice? I was wondering if you know when UCSF started interviewing? Were you in one of the first groups?

I'm just trying to figure out if I've been even reviewed yet. I interviewed the fourth week of October. But I don't think my interview went very well...you know, one of those off days.

Jimi,

Yes, UCSF is definitely my top choice, although, the thought of trying to find housing there is a bit frightening!

I believe that UCSF started interviewing the first week of October. I know that I was definitely in one of the first groups of students to interview, but I don't know how many came before me. Sorry you hear you had a rough interview there, I've certainly had some off days myself! Good luck!

As a native of this fair city, I have some advise for those of you who will be moving here soon.

1) Use Rent Tech to find an apartment. I've lived here all of my life, and have yet to find an apartment in the paper. Also, Rent Tech will send you (via e-mail) descriptions and sometimes pictures of apartments. Very helpful when closets are discribed as bedrooms.

2) Apartments in the Sunset district are cheaper than almost anywhere else in the city. It will be tempting to live in the Haight district, but it's very expensive and can be very noisy. Also, apartments in the Sunset are close to UCSF the N line, which will drop you off right in front of UCSF. It's also close to the beach and Golden Gate Park.

3) Unless you ABSOLUTELY have to, don't bring the car. Street parking is impossible, and getting an apartment with a garage will tack on at least 200 rocks to your rent. Besides, as much as we like to lament about it, MUNI doesn't suck that much.

Happily, the economic boom in the area is starting to slow down in a big way, which will open up more in the way of housing.

Good luck to all of you.

Nanon

[This message has been edited by Nanon (edited 01-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nanon (edited 01-08-2001).]

Thank you, thank you for the advice! I had already decided to look primarily in the Sunset because of it's proximity to UCSF, but I appreciate your confirmation of that idea. When do you suggest looking for an apartment? Perhaps in May/June when the fourth year students graduate and hopefully vacate some rentals?

May/June is a good time, but it's still going to be tough. Plan ahead at least a month. It will absolutely take that long. And see if there aren't roommate services through UCSF. You can find a roommate through rent tech, too, but it's a risky venture, especially if you won't have time to meet the person.

Note that a studio will run you at least 1100 dollars, and one bedrooms are, at minimum, 1400. Roommate situations are anywhere from 700 to ungodly sums of money.

I believe I will be staying in the University of Arkansas dorm for $161.00 per month. You guys must have a ton of cash!!!!!!

Other UCSF housing thought: rent control is one saving grace of the SF rental market. As long as the tenants don't move out, landlords aren't allowed to raise rents much at all from year to year, therefore the best deals are usually found if you can find someone who's looking for a roommate but who has been in their place for a while. This can potentially make your rent much, much lower than, say, trying to find a place on your own. There's a bulletin board here on campus, and I think also a website. Contact Student Affairs & the UCSF Housing office for info soon, and ask them when they think you should start looking. It all works out in the end, somewhat miraculously.

That sounds great, but the problem is that I'm recently married and have 2 small dogs (smaller than cats). I think it would be pretty hard to find a roommate who was willing to take in all of us! Any suggestions for someone in my situation?

Also on the topic of rent control - it only applies to buildings that were built before the mid-seventies. Yet another thing to think about.

It will be hard to get a place that allows pets, but we found one. Definitely use the resources available to you at UCSF. If I find out about any deals, I'll post it here. They do exist.

Another option is to commute from Oakland. Rents there are somewhat better, sometimes by several hundred dollars. The commute by train is ~ one hour to an hour and a half. The commute by car can be up to two hours, and then you have to find or pay for a place to park. Some neighborhoods in Oakland can be a little shady, and the school system ain't great. Still, many of our friends have moved to the east bay and really like it.

Hope this helps-

Once again the 15th has rolled around...I'm not expecting to get a letter from UCSF but if anyone else does, will you please post!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

I just got up enough nerve and call them...turns out they mailed their January acceptances yesterday. Yikes!

I just got my acceptance yesterday. The letter was dated for 4/2...so I guess with the revisit weekend on ~4/22, they are not sticking with the 15th of every month rule. Since my sig other was rejected, looks like I am going to withdraw. I'm pretty bummed.

Hi lizard!! I am so sorry to hear of that. That sucks in a major way. Hopefully, you all will get off the Cornell or Penn waitlist together. It's weird, but I think that Cornell will have great movement, because it seems like they were very "stingy" with accepting after December. I don't know a single person who got in that interview in January or later. I truly wish you guys the best!! Keep the faith!! Only the strong survive!!
smile.gif

Thanks Christiangirl...you are always full of encouragement...very nice of you. At least some worthy person will be able to get off the UCSF waitlist soon.

I actually spoke with someone (I think it was cathy) in the admissions office at Cornell a couple of weeks ago and she said that the class was still full. I asked her about how many acceptances they sent out and she seemed to say that they sent about as many spots in the class. If so, that surely does sound "stingy." Saying that the class was still full and that they only sent about 101 acceptances both sound a bit preposterous...I wonder what is really going on.

Lizard,

I will be relinquishing my acceptance to Cornell very soon, so hopefully that will get the ball rolling for more waitlist movement. Good luck to you!

Hi lizard!! You are welcome chica!! I think if Cornell did that then there will be a bunch of spaces opening, since quite a few people on this and the TPR board seem to be taking Columbia or Duke over Cornell. I still don't think they accepted ANYONE after December and no one has proved me wrong yet.