UCSF changing kit so that school owns most items

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trench Mouth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any schools had to switch from owning your own handpieces and hand instruments to a system where the schools owns the equipment and the students 'rent' from the school and leave with nothing?

Currently at UCSF we have a full set of clinic equipment, but over the next few years the school is transitioning and the students, while paying essentially the same kit costs, will not own any of the equipment. The purpose being given is new CODA rules that require the school to maintain and sterilize all equipment.

I'm just looking for info from other schools into whether similar systems have worked out, how much they are charging now compared to before, etc.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

We're making the same change here at UOP starting this summer in order to help the school have more control over sterilization. They hoping to have everything up and running before the accreditation process starts up. We get to keep the equipment we already bought but can't use any of it on our patients. The school is buying back a few items from the first year students, but nothing from my class. Incoming students will have a reduced cost to their kits. We're not sure how smoothly the transition will be but most people including the administration anticipates a bit of a mess the first few quarters.

A better idea would be to have the students purchase a full kit plus pay a little more, and have the school keep posesion of the items, so they are in charge of the items and sterilization. But when it comes time for you to graduate they give you a full kit which you paid for.
It would work out because when the new class enters and purchases the new equipment, that equipment would go to you. while they still have all of the equipment ready. And since you pay a little on top of what the equipment is worth for the school to handle everything until you graduate. the school would be incharge of the equipment and sterilization, and when you leave you get something out of it.

We heard that they're going to start doing this at Case, too. I think it's a bad idea, because nobody's going to take care of equipment they don't own. I have heard from schools that do their kits like this that half of the stuff doesn't work and the other half is rusted, worn out, etc... At Case the dispensary has cavitrons and some bur kits, like porcelain polishing, etc... and they are always on the verge of being worn out, missing burs, broken, etc... Many of us still bought our own cavitrons. And to charge the same price is ridiculous! They should be able to use instruments, handpieces, etc... for at least 4 years, long enough to get two classes through the clinic.