UCSF Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cal687

Student Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well guys, we made it! I'm really excited to be starting at UCSF in the fall! Just wanted to start this to say hi to everyone...

So, hi! :laugh:

What are everyone's plans for housing? I'm on the waiting list for Mission Bay, but I keep debating whether I really want to live that far from campus. I might email them and change it to The Avenue instead.

Anyway, congrats everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my letter from UCSF yesterday!!! :D I'm so excited!!! I guess we'll see each other in September.

I'm planning to live off-campus since I'm married. The one thing that scares me about UCSF is the cost of living. Oh god... I don't even want to think about it...

Congrats to everyone else who got in!

Just got my letter from UCSF yesterday!!! :D I'm so excited!!! I guess we'll see each other in September.

I'm planning to live off-campus since I'm married. The one thing that scares me about UCSF is the cost of living. Oh god... I don't even want to think about it...

Congrats to everyone else who got in!

Yay, congrats! When did you interview? I was on 2/2.

I know, cost of living scares me too! I am on the waitlist for campus housing, which is actually a really good deal it seems like. I thought they had family housing available too, but I might be wrong. At least the public transit is good in SF, so you can live a little further from campus but still not have to deal with parking. I was looking on craigslist though, just for kicks, and I can't believe how expensive even STUDIO apartments are!!! Like $1500 in some places. Eeek. At least tuition is a bit cheaper to make up for it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, congrats! When did you interview? I was on 2/2.

I know, cost of living scares me too! I am on the waitlist for campus housing, which is actually a really good deal it seems like. I thought they had family housing available too, but I might be wrong. At least the public transit is good in SF, so you can live a little further from campus but still not have to deal with parking. I was looking on craigslist though, just for kicks, and I can't believe how expensive even STUDIO apartments are!!! Like $1500 in some places. Eeek. At least tuition is a bit cheaper to make up for it...

I was there on 2/2 also! What group were you in?

I think they do have family housing, but I have pets that I refuse to give up. I'm thinking about living in Daly City or something. I don't really mind commuting, I'm used to it.

i just wanna say CONGRATS to you two!!!!!!!!:):):)

Hi there!
I got my UCSF acceptance just a few days ago and I'm so excited :)

I'm thinking of Mission Bay too. It looks so nice and the price seems very reasonable. But, I'm also wondering if being at the Avenue would be better because it is closer.

Congrats to all you guys! I'm excited to see that the results are being released now, as I am anxiously awaiting for word about my acceptance/rejection. Well, hopefully I can post with good news in the near future.

I got my accepatance a few days ago and never would have imagined having this opportunity 5 years ago. I'm simply stunned and was flooded with emotions after getting my letter.

Hopefully more of you all will find out soon. I've got my fingers crossed for those still waiting for a response. In the meantime, try and relax... things often work out in beautifully unexpected ways. :luck:

I think I put myself on the waiting list for housing at The Avenue, with a backup at Mission Bay. Taking the public transit every morning for about a 30min commute means less time to exercise and study :(

Hi and Congratulations!

Just my opinion about housing . . . I'm only a 1st year but I'm SO glad I am close to campus.

Sometimes there are events on the weekends and UCSF shuttles don't run on weekends. Also at times there are gaps in the schedule and it is nice to be able to go home for a break or to grab other books or change clothes etc.

Something else to consider that I hear about Mission Bay is the whether can be much sunnier but there isn't much over there. There is a Safeway but as far as I know close restaurants are limited. 9th&Irving area, the Haight, and Cole Valley (all close to campus) are loaded with restaurants and small shops.

Anyway . . . whatever you decide remember it only has to be for 1 year so don't stress too much.

See you soon!

I was there on 2/2 also! What group were you in?

I think they do have family housing, but I have pets that I refuse to give up. I'm thinking about living in Daly City or something. I don't really mind commuting, I'm used to it.

Morning session, I believe it was the red group. It was the one where we chatted with students first, interviewed second, and wrote third. Are you my ochem classmate who also interviewed with me at UOP, or is that not you? ;)

Daly City wouldn't be too bad because of Caltrain right? Just long, but at least somewhat convenient.

Hi and Congratulations!

Just my opinion about housing . . . I'm only a 1st year but I'm SO glad I am close to campus.

Sometimes there are events on the weekends and UCSF shuttles don't run on weekends. Also at times there are gaps in the schedule and it is nice to be able to go home for a break or to grab other books or change clothes etc.

Something else to consider that I hear about Mission Bay is the whether can be much sunnier but there isn't much over there. There is a Safeway but as far as I know close restaurants are limited. 9th&Irving area, the Haight, and Cole Valley (all close to campus) are loaded with restaurants and small shops.

Anyway . . . whatever you decide remember it only has to be for 1 year so don't stress too much.

See you soon!

That is sort of what I decided as well...I'd rather be closeby for year 1, then if I don't like it I can move to MB 2nd year. At least by then I'd know what I'm in for! I changed my preference with the Housing office yesterday.

Thanks for your opinion! Were you at any of the interview sessions?

I got my accepatance a few days ago and never would have imagined having this opportunity 5 years ago. I'm simply stunned and was flooded with emotions after getting my letter.

Hopefully more of you all will find out soon. I've got my fingers crossed for those still waiting for a response. In the meantime, try and relax... things often work out in beautifully unexpected ways. :luck:

I think I put myself on the waiting list for housing at The Avenue, with a backup at Mission Bay. Taking the public transit every morning for about a 30min commute means less time to exercise and study :(

Yay! I know what you mean about the flood of emotions! I was so excited, I could hardly contain myself. I was jumping around, and practically shouting for joy on the phone to my parents. ;)

I changed my preference to The Avenue as well...I agree with you about the extra commute. Time will be tight enough I think, and at least until I get used to it I don't want to worry about missing shuttles, etc. in the am!

Hi there!
I got my UCSF acceptance just a few days ago and I'm so excited :)

I'm thinking of Mission Bay too. It looks so nice and the price seems very reasonable. But, I'm also wondering if being at the Avenue would be better because it is closer.

Yay, another classmate! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
From the jests of fellow SF students "poking" fun at us for not already having a c/o 2012 facebook group ;) , I'll try and make one tomorrow afternoon for us and other newly admitted applicants, to share our excitement and to exchange our contact info.

For everyone still waiting to hear back... hang in there!!! Life-changing things like this, more often than not, work out in very exciting and unexpecting ways... so don't doubt yourselves!!! Keep up the positive energy and in the meantime, I think I speak for the others when I say we've got your back if you need any support! Oh and Congrats to my future classmates, too!!!

:thumbup:

Congratulations to all who have been accepted!

I am happy for you guys. I hope that I will have the opportunity to join you guys in the UCSF Class of 2012!

Now, I am still anxiously waiting and waiting and waiting...... :scared::confused::idea:

Facebook group's up and running, hope to see some of you there!

Hi all!

Congratulations everyone!! It was pretty nerve-wracking waiting to hear, and I'm so glad to be able to say I'm heading to UCSF for sure!

Saw that some folks are debating where to live in the city.. I actually spent 5 years in various flats in the Mission/Duboce Triangle/Lower Haight area and really liked it. It sounds weird but the level of sunniness/fogginess can be important to some people (like me), and the mission is generally warmer than a lot of other areas. There is also a lot to do in that area..

For now though I went ahead and applied to Mission Bay as a backup plan. I'll be working (in Colorado) right up until school starts so hunting for a flat is going to be a pain..

And in perhaps a sign of how long I've been out of college, I had never been on facebook till I looked up the UCSF class of 2012! :rolleyes:

Got my letter today :love:

anyone from so cal here? i've never lived anywhere else and scared but excited about moving to san francisco.

can't wait to meet everyone this fall!

Congrats dt30 and sfnewbie! You guys are both going to love SF..it's such an exciting city with so much culture!

sfnewbie: I'm originally from the bay area, and moved to socal for undergrad. I actually hated it at first down here because I missed the bay so much. And even though I got used to it down here, I'm so ready to move back! I don't know if I can explain the difference really, but at least overall, I think people are more down-to-earth in the bay area than SoCal. There's not so much hollywood buzz around (unless you really look for it), and I felt like the people were more open-minded. You might miss the nice weather down here...but I miss the seasons that we have up north! So I think it's a tradeoff. I am pretty sure there's something for everyone in SF though, so I'm sure you are going to love it! :)

dt30: How safe is the area you are talking about for housing? I think a little sunshine sounds pretty nice, but I just wanted to see if it would be scary at all on public transportation to/from there at night. I guess it might have changed since you lived there, since you are in CO now. Anyway, just curious for your thoughts! And did you interview in the AM session on 2/2?

Hi cal687,

In terms of safety I have always felt generally safe in the Mission by day, and at night the only place I feel uncomfortable is on Mission itself around 16th if I'm alone. Over closer to Dolores and Guerrero though it's fine (I was at 18th and Guerrero for ~2 years, 15th and Guerrero for a year and 18th and on Duboce and Church behind the Safeway on Market for 2 years). Duboce Triangle/Castro is safe day or night to me and lower Haight can be questionable at night alone. If anything the Mission has become safer over the last 5-10 years due to fairly rampant gentrification. In fact when I was out to interviewing I went out that night with some friends over to the mission and the castro and was surprised how much the mission has gotten cleaned up. I will say though that everyone's idea of safety is different and I acclimatize to urban neighborhoods pretty quick. When I was at 15th and Guerrero I was actually diagonal from some rough projects (since changed), and didn't really mind, though a flatmate got mugged three times (in broad daylight :eek:)?!?

Now that I think about it, I had a friend who grew up in Diamond Heights/Glenn Park neighborhood and it always seemed nice and sunny over there, and very quiet and more family oriented. Also Noe Valley is sunny and very safe with quite a few nice restaurants and shops and stuff, and still close to a lot of stuff.

My feeling is that if you stay east of the hills it's sunny. I remember watching the fog sit up on Buena Vista park everyday and knowing that everything west was chilly. So I think choosing the Sunset or the Richmond can mean permanent fog. On the other hand the Sunset tends to be probably much safer and quieter than other parts of the city, and the beach isn't far away.

In terms of transport, from Castro/Duboce Triangle/Mission the N-Judah line is totally safe and clean and I think it stops one block below Parnassus; I used to ride it about every other day going downtown or up Market. I always think the MUNI trains are better than the MUNI buses. That being said I had some friends who never ride on either, but then they also spent 3 hours looking for parking everywhere.

I'm still not sure where to live honestly. If I get into Mission Bay, then I'll take it. But otherwise I'm going to be trying to find a place which will take a dog which is tough (Mission Bay doesn't allow pets, but a friend who lives in SOMA has offered to keep her for a year).. I'll definitely look in Duboce Triangle/Castro/Mission first, but who knows.. Also up in the air is whether my partner will be able to move this fall or not, since that will determine whether I'm looking for a studio or a larger/nicer place. It's a question of finding the right job and that might take a while.

Oh, and I was actually in the afternoon session on 2/2. I think it was all out of state people that afternoon!

Congrats DT30 and SFNewbie. Look forward to meeting you in the fall! Hopefully others will hear soon, and then we can all get together and celebrate.

YAY 2012!!! It seriously seems like yesterday that I was in your shoes, pharmacy school is this weird time vortex (like LOST, I suppose...). Anyways, I'm SO excited to meet everyone in the fall and welcome you to the UCSF family. In the meantime, if you have any questions just let me know or shoot me a message on the facebook group (I'm Rachelle, btw).

And scuba kat - do you dive up here in NorCal? Diving is one of my passions and since there are no divers in my current class, it would be super awesome to go with you in the fall :)

Hi everyone!!

I'm so excited about just being accepted, that I haven't been able to sleep these past two nights!

I look forward to meeting all you lovely people soon.

congratulations viva yoda!

i couldn't sleep because of excitement the first night i found out either! YAY!

thank you for the comforting words cal687! you're awesome :)

Hey Zwigglez! It's Gina, Jenn's friend. LOL I'm so excited, didn't think I was gonna get in. Do you recommend a certain area of the city to live. I might live with a friend from high school, but if that doesn't work out is it easy to find a roommate?! Thanks for the help. Btw best tour guide ever, you really showed me how awesome UCSF is :)

Heeeey! For living off-campus, I would definitely recommend the sunset (either inner or outer). The majority of our class lives in that area and its pretty awesome because its close to school, is relatively quite/residential and there's a bunch of good food around 9th Ave. A few people live in the haight or around panhandle, but it gets more expensive.

To give you a little perspective, I live on 27th ave and on the N-Judah it takes me about 15 mins to get to school. Walking is about 30 mins. And I can't think of anyone who lives more "outer" than me...most people live between 4th ave and 19th ave. My rent is pretty reasonable for the area, I pay $733/month for a good-sized room in our 3BR/2BA full apartment. If you have a car like I do, it's damn near impossible to find it between school and 19th, but past 19th the parking is totally fine. I found my current roommates on our 2011 facebook group. It's pretty nice to have fellow classmates living with you because you always have a study partner or someone around to remind you to do things. Believe me, it's been very helpful at times.

Let me know if you have more questions! And some advice, just relax until September because all of your free time is about to go out the window :)

Hey Zwigglez! It's Gina, Jenn's friend. LOL I'm so excited, didn't think I was gonna get in. Do you recommend a certain area of the city to live. I might live with a friend from high school, but if that doesn't work out is it easy to find a roommate?! Thanks for the help. Btw best tour guide ever, you really showed me how awesome UCSF is :)

Zwigglez,
I have a quick question! I'm hoping to live on campus, hopefully at The Avenue. The application asks for a move in date and I'm not sure what to put. How long before school starts do you think one should move in? Thank you for all your help!

When are the rest of you planning to re-locate?

Zwigglez,
I have a quick question! I'm hoping to live on campus, hopefully at The Avenue. The application asks for a move in date and I'm not sure what to put. How long before school starts do you think one should move in? Thank you for all your help!

When are the rest of you planning to re-locate?

I didn't apply for campus housing so I'm not sure, but I remember hearing that if you are available to move in earlier, you get priority right? Doesn't the FAQ say something about that? Anyways, if that's the case I would recommend moving in as early as you can. SF is such a beautiful and exciting city to explore and unfortunately, you don't get out much once school starts :) I moved in June and I felt that was a good amount of time to settle before the craziness started.

Hi everyone, I'm another future classmate of yours!;)

And scuba kat - do you dive up here in NorCal? Diving is one of my passions and since there are no divers in my current class, it would be super awesome to go with you in the fall :)

I LOVE DIVING!!! Right now I'm living in Hawaii and that's pretty much all I've ever seen. I would love to find some new places to dive in NorCal, I guess that means I need a 7mm... at least!

To everyone else, did you get your welcome packet yet? I turned in my deposit and residency paperwork weeks ago but haven't received anything yet...

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm very excited to be joining all of you in the fall! I just got my acceptance letter today :)

I'm originally from Los Angeles but currently live in SD (I go to UCSD), so moving up north will be a different experience! I'm so excited!

dt30, thanks for all that information. I guess I'll wait and see about campus housing, but if I don't get it, I'll come back to your post. I have heard good things about Noe Valley too, pretty quiet and good for studying, but not too far from fun things. This may be a silly question, but where exactly do people go out at night (bars, clubs, etc.)? I've heard that the bars in North Beach (?) are pretty relaxed, and sort of appeal to the surfer crowd? And there are some good restaurants in the 9th and Judah area. But beyond that, I don't really know the city's nightlife at all.

Someone asked when others were planning on moving to SF...I put my name on the campus housing list for a move-in date of July 15th. I'm hoping to get a chance to explore the city a lot before school starts. And maybe keep working as a tech in the meantime, just so I don't go completely broke!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say Congratulations on your UCSF acceptances! I've had the priviledge to communicate with some of you (if you've received an PM from me, I'm referring to you :smuggrin:) via SDN and I'm so impressed by your stats and appreciate your humility, words of encouragement and empathy for those who are still waiting to hear from UCSF.

I would love to find some new places to dive in NorCal, I guess that means I need a 7mm... at least!

For sure! I dive with a 7mm and a 5mm hood so I'm nice and toasty :) NorCal would be a great comparison with HI, the diving is totally awesome but in a completely different way.

And re: clubs and bars in SF...don't worry, you'll get plenty of experience in your first quarter :) There's always a lot of clubbing events in the fall, either in pharmacy or dental (the med students don't really know how to party, haha). I would recommend yelping different places, most of us go out either downtown or in the marina. If you like beer, and I mean who doesn't, SF has a really cool group of places called the SF Brewers Guild that are combined microbreweries and restaurants. I haven't been to all 8 yet, but I'll probably reach that goal in spring :)

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm very excited to be joining all of you in the fall! I just got my acceptance letter today :)

I'm originally from Los Angeles but currently live in SD (I go to UCSD), so moving up north will be a different experience! I'm so excited!
Sweet, chalk up another one from SD! Haha, I guess happycows really do come from California, eh? :laugh: My enthusiastic, but slightly belated congrats, too!

hi!! I just wanted to congratulate everyone who has been accepted!!!!!! :):):):):) (i'm still waiting for my acceptance/rejection letter) but i'm sooooooo happy for you all!!!!!!

To everyone else, did you get your welcome packet yet? I turned in my deposit and residency paperwork weeks ago but haven't received anything yet...

I was wondering the same also. Has anyone received any type of confirmation or any additional information after sending in their deposit and residency form?

I only sent in my deposit last week, so I'm not quite sure about whether other people should've received anything yet. However, my acceptance letter says, "Additional materials pertaining to your fall matriculation and registration will be mailed to you in April." Perhaps they're too busy finishing up admissions decisions for April 1? In any case, it seems that April would be the best bet. :)

Negative Newbie, I haven't heard anything either. I'm inclined to follow the logic of Happycow. I'm guessing that because UCSF's so busy sending out their final letters this week that this is the reason why we haven't heard any email/snail mail confirmation back from them yet...

On the flipside, I'm betting that this thread's about to become a whole lot more populated in the coming week.

:hardy: :luck: :D

I still need to send in the paperwork, but I finally decided. See you all in the fall =).

I remember not receiving anything for a few weeks at least after my acceptance. No worries.

Negative Newbie, I haven't heard anything either. I'm inclined to follow the logic of Happycow. I'm guessing that because UCSF's so busy sending out their final letters this week that this is the reason why we haven't heard any email/snail mail confirmation back from them yet...

On the flipside, I'm betting that this thread's about to become a whole lot more populated in the coming week.

:hardy: :luck: :D

I've been dealing with lost mail lately :( I just want to make sure I do everything correctly. Thanks for the responses, I promise I will lighten up and relax :laugh:

hey guys,

hopefully i'll be joining you in the class of 2012. i received a provisional acceptance, and i'm wondering if anyone is in the same boat? i think i have to take courses like speech and economics, but does UCSF let u know exactly what courses you need to take before being officially admitted?

i guess i would like an official paper stating what courses i need to take, so that i dont get screwed later. im planning to take these courses in the summer, so i only have one shot! does anyone have any insight into the provisional acceptance issue? anyone from last year?

thanx for ur help!

IMlittle -

Congrats!!! Everyone actually recieves a 'provisional acceptance' till later in the summer when they officially recieve all your transcripts and everything..

After you accept you'll recieve an email from Joel explaining the next steps and what the phrase means and not to be concerned that it says 'provisional'

Congratulations and see you in the fall!

thanks dt30!

So i guess I have to accept first... lol... my mom received the letter, so she still has to scan it and send it to me... she's taking forever! lol

On the other hand, I actually think I met you during my interview 2/2 for out of staters. You look like a guy i was talking to after my interview while I was waiting for my ride. I was sitting on the bench outside... was that you sitting next to me?

hey guys,

hopefully i'll be joining you in the class of 2012. i received a provisional acceptance, and i'm wondering if anyone is in the same boat? i think i have to take courses like speech and economics, but does UCSF let u know exactly what courses you need to take before being officially admitted?

i guess i would like an official paper stating what courses i need to take, so that i dont get screwed later. im planning to take these courses in the summer, so i only have one shot! does anyone have any insight into the provisional acceptance issue? anyone from last year?

thanx for ur help!

Hi IMlittle,
At the interview, each of us received a pre-req checklist in our folders...check that to know which courses you still need to take.

Congrats :)

thanks dt30!

So i guess I have to accept first... lol... my mom received the letter, so she still has to scan it and send it to me... she's taking forever! lol

On the other hand, I actually think I met you during my interview 2/2 for out of staters. You look like a guy i was talking to after my interview while I was waiting for my ride. I was sitting on the bench outside... was that you sitting next to me?

IMlittle!

Hey you've got a good eye, that was me (you had come over from France for the interview correct?)..

Congrats, from our talk I was pretty sure you'd get in. See you in the fall!!

Hahaha... and u have a good memory! I was the one coming from France!
That's funny you said that about me getting in, because I was sure YOU'd get in after our talk! So, congrats to you too! Now, you don't have to worry living in Austin... see you in the fall!

What is this deposit that people are talking about? I got accepted to USC, UCSF and UCSD....only USC had a deposit.

Now I'm worried....anyone else's acceptance say NOTHING about a deposit??