UCSF dental assistant prof. just told me this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already know that getting into UCSF or UCLA is going to be challenging but now Im really worried.

A UCSF dental assitant clinical prof just told me that it would "very very tricky" to get into these schools with my gpa 3.66 overall, 3.59sci. 23 AA
He said I may be able to get into UOP or USC with these stats.
That just carbonized all over my dental school ambitions. Is he hinting that I shouldnt bother paying for secondaries at these schools or am I reading too much into this???

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty scary, but I would try anyways. To me, your stats are good. I wouldn't let one professor stop me in my tracks towards my goal.

your stats are very average for ucla actually. dont know much about SF

they're great stats though so dont worry you'll get in somewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
I already know that getting into UCSF or UCLA is going to be challenging but now Im really worried.

A UCSF dental assitant clinical prof just told me that it would "very very tricky" to get into these schools with my gpa 3.66 overall, 3.59sci. 23 AA
That just carbonized all over my dental school ambitions. Is he hinting that I shouldnt bother paying for secondaries at these schools or am I reading too much into this???

Is he on the admissions committee for both UCSF and UCLA? If not, I would take what he says with a grain of salt. Just because he's a professor there does not mean he makes every decision on who gets admitted or knows every single thing about admissions.

You would get into USC in a heartbeat with those stats. No idea about UOP.

Either way, I would just pay the secondaries and add a couple of extra safety schools. I think you're looking way too into this. Don't let him mess with your mind.

UCLA: oGPA 3.7; sGPA 3.67
21AA, 22TS

UCSF: oGPA 3.5; sGPA 3.56
20AA, 21TS

I think you're right in the ball park in my opinion.

If your stats are in the average range for those schools, then others obviously got in with lower stats. Of course stats are important, but there is more to the process.

Did he happen to mention a son or daughter who happen to be applying this cycle as well?

Check out pg 45 on the ADA Survey of DS (see below link). It's for 2009-10 but it says the mean DAT score for UCSF is AA20.2/PAT20.4/TS20.0. I recall seeing the GPA somewhere too and it was lower than yours so unless this year's applicant pool flew off the charts from the previous year, I think you're competitive according to the stats they reported to ADA.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=635046

your stats are very average for ucla actually. dont know much about SF

they're great stats though so dont worry you'll get in somewhere

You are clearly confused or bent on GPA alone. A 23AA is clearly leagues above the 21AA avg therefore the OP is clearly ahead of the competition. Don't let GPA deter you as you are competitive enough even if their avg is slightly above yours.

In the end, you scored better on the exam then most they accepted therefore you are at great odds.

is he on the admissions committee for both ucsf and ucla? If not, i would take what he says with a grain of salt. Just because he's a professor there does not mean he makes every decision on who gets admitted or knows every single thing about admissions.

You would get into usc in a heartbeat with those stats. No idea about uop.

Either way, i would just pay the secondaries and add a couple of extra safety schools. I think you're looking way too into this. Don't let him mess with your mind.

+1

UCLA, UCSF, and UOP are three schools that are all toss-ups. Even if you have great stats, it's extremely random that you will get an interview. Doesn't matter if you have a 3.3 21, or a 3.6 23, or a 3.9 19. That doesn't mean don't apply, but rather, apply broader as these three schools are toss-ups.

Don't be too distraught over what you heard. Your scores are good for any school, even the Ivies.

your scores are fine. at least, 3 years ago. that score is considered on the high end. so did you get an interview?

<<< ucsf

UCLA, UCSF, and UOP are three schools that are all toss-ups. Even if you have great stats, it's extremely random that you will get an interview. Doesn't matter if you have a 3.3 21, or a 3.6 23, or a 3.9 19. That doesn't mean don't apply, but rather, apply broader as these three schools are toss-ups.

ditto to that. I got flat rejected from UCSF with a AA 23 TS 25 sgpa 3.88 and overall:3.95
Apply but don't have any expectations because there doesn't seem to be a winning formula with that school in any of their programs.