UCSF Dental Post-Bac (for Tinkerbell)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tinker Bell-

Could you tell me a little more abut the UCSF dental post-bac program. I am going to hold off and apply to dental schools the summer after my senior year and need something to keep me busy and still learning for that extra year. I have the option of staying an extra year at my current school and getting a masters in biology (which I would still have to pay tuition for), but the UCSF program sounded interesting especially because it is free. It would also be more geared towards the dental field.

What does the program consists of (ie classes, research)? How does the admissions process work? DAT, GRE? Any special degree or certificate upon completion?

Thanks for your help.

PS. I see you?re from Vallejo. I lived in Benicia for 18 years before going off to college.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Hysteria...
I know you wanted this directed to tinkerbell but I just thought you might be interested in this article..<a href="http://www.ucsf.edu/daybreak/1999/05/21_dental.html" target="_blank">UCSF post-bac article</a>

here's the actual <a href="http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/ad_pbacc.htm" target="_blank">post-bac website...</a>

btw...i'm from hercules, CA :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
As a previous Post-Bac program participant (with a DO school) and after reading about UCSF's Post-Bac program....I believe that this is great dentistry orientated Post-Bac program!!!!

I know very few Post-Bac programs that guarantees dental admission success after satisfactory program completion. I already knew that Nova and Columbia has their MBS/Post-Bac program that are directly linked to their dental school and now UCSF. One big advantage of these Post-Bac programs is that they are directly linked to their dental schools and as result, there is a tight link between the Post-Bac program and the admissions offices to the dental school.

One big disadvantage of these Post-Bac programs is that it's getting just as competitive to gain admission as dental school admissions because more and more 2nd-time and "non-competitive" applicants are finding out about these Post-Bac programs!

The number of students that the Post-Bac programs accept each year:

Nova - 5
UCSF - 5 (from what I've read)

If you get in these Post-Bac program, you're admission to a dental school have just been increased 8000 fold!!! You're pretty much in, but you must do well in the Post-Bac program (80% [B-] or higher)!!!

:clap:

Tink, again, my congrats to you for your accomplishments in getting into the UCSF Post-Bac program!

Yah-E
Just out of curiousity, what is tution for post-back program in AZCOM?
thanks

Minoos,

~$16,500 for one year tuition.....

Financial Aid Office will budget you for ~$28,500 for the entire year with everything included!

:cool:

Thanks for the info cusp of carabelli, and Yah-E. Answered all the questions I had. Doesn't look like it is the right program for me especially with the preference given to students with a disadvantaged background. Looks like my two options now are to either apply this summer, or stay an extra year, get my masters and then apply.

Hysteria!

If you visit ucsf dental school web page, you will find a link about the post-bac program. But I will be very happy to tell you about it.
Post-bac: free tuition fee, plus stipend and housing for the summer.
Cannot work. (and you have to sign a paper with a bunch of rules that you can't do)
Study for the DAT in the summer. In the school year, we will have to take upper division science classes to improve our ugly GPA. Plus doing some clinical stuff or research.
To Qualify: You have to come from some kind of disadvantaged background. This is a state sponsor program aiming to improve dental health care for poor and disadvantaged communities.
You also have to be denied from a dental school. With minimum DAT Score of 16 (Mine is 19/18 and GPA 3.1 from UCD, 4 yrs of research and 2 papers published as first author and a few hundred hours of dental shadowing). They also stated clearly that the program will give priority to people who has previouly been invited to a dental school interview. (And they need proof for this.)
As Yah-E said, it's really competitive, but not everyone in the program guarantee a seat at ucsf next year though. We have to maintain a B minimum GPA to also stay in the program. Last year half of their post-bac ended up going to east coast school. 2 guys interview me and 1 decided to go to BU and the other will go to Marquette.
So, just try to apply this year and if you don't get in. Next year you can try to apply for the post-bac program. I think the reason that I got accepted is because I worked for ucsf for quite a while and just got laid off right when I sent the application in so they felt kind of sympathy for me. (Again, this is what I thought)
I hope I answer your question. If you're still unclear, please ask.

Yah-E: Thanks for your congrats.
Cusp: Do you really stay in Hercules. Do we happen to go to the same dentist. I go to Dr. Fong in Hercules. Are you currently shadowing or working for any dentist in the area?
Have a super long weekend, everyone.
Tink

Hey tinkerbell
did you just finish the UCSF program? Do you know someone named Tane? Wow so you cross the carquinez bridge to go to Dr. Fong huh? She must be good... I actually go to Dr. Mora which is like right across the parking lot...=oP Did you ask Dr. fong for teeth? :)

I will start in june the post-bac. It's still a long road for me. But I feel like I have jumped 8000 loops already.
Yup, I cross the bridge to go to Dr. Fong. And i haven't asked her for teeth yet.
I will next year though.
T