UCSF extra information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boathouse34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone sending UCSF extra information? I was thinking it might be worth it to send them descriptions of my EC's since they don't get that information from AMCAS? What is everyone's take on this? How are you choosing to use the space?

Any suggestions welcome! I know we all want to present our best selves so we can get there in person!!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't send additional information, since the instructions didn't make it seem like they wanted it. I would assume it would be worthwhile to send them stuff if there were significant changes since the AMCAS was processed. My guess is that if they wanted to read the activity descriptions, they would get them from AMCAS.

Hopefully someone better informed will contribute to this thread though.

There's a reason that UCSF doesn't look at your secondary descriptions: they don't want that information. I don't think it matters whether or not you send in additional information. I got the impression that it was mostly for people to explain anything sketchy/negative in the primary application. I interviewed at UCSF without sending in anything extra.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean you didn't put descriptions of your activities in your AMCAS? If you use the extra pages, make it worth it for the admin committee to review, ie updates to activities or academic history or elaborate more on something that specifically applies to them (ex/ a research experience one summer at UCSF that you only briefly mentioned on your AMCAS, etc) Don't make up words for them to read because that would just frustrate me if I was on the adcom. Just my 2cents.

chandelantern said:
What do you mean you didn't put descriptions of your activities in your AMCAS? If you use the extra pages, make it worth it for the admin committee to review, ie updates to activities or academic history or elaborate more on something that specifically applies to them (ex/ a research experience one summer at UCSF that you only briefly mentioned on your AMCAS, etc) Don't make up words for them to read because that would just frustrate me if I was on the adcom. Just my 2cents.

I think the OP means that UCSF does not request to see the descriptions of your 15 activities-- they only see the titles of the activities. I think that the space is best used for updating the admissions committee on what you have done/changes that have occured since you submitted AMCAS. I, personally, did not provide additional info when I applied last year. A classmate of mine added information about a job she started after turning in her AMCAS.