UCSF for 200k/4yrs vs. MCW for 70k/4yrs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wiki23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am extremely torn with this decision. I think San Francisco would be a really cool place to live for 4 years, but I am not sure if it is worth the extra 130k. That is a significant increase in cost but then again it is a top 5 school. Just looking for some outside advice.

Thanks so much for your input!

:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

That is a bunch of dough, but I would go to UCSF. Live!

Usually I would advise people to pick the cheaper school. But give up a chance to goto UCSF? I'd goto UCSF no matter the cost differential. Pick UCSF!

Members don't see this ad :)
not the easiest choice. i'd also go with ucsf for both school and location reasons.

fine, ill be the guy who says to go to mcw. are these all loans we're talking about? why the hell would you spend 130k extra on 4 years when, if you saved that money, you could put it toward a place in SF and live there the rest of your life if you wanted to?

and because i feel pictures teach best, here is another illustration of the difference in these two sums:

lamborghini-murcielago-lp640-versace.jpg

So I am extremely torn with this decision. I think San Francisco would be a really cool place to live for 4 years, but I am not sure if it is worth the extra 130k. That is a significant increase in cost but then again it is a top 5 school. Just looking for some outside advice.

GO TO UCSF!!
MUCH better school, well respeted, your in San Fran.

Question: What do you call a person who picks MCW or UCSF?

Answer: Doctor.

For some reason this picture convinces me to pick the better, more expensive school. If the difference boils down to me driving a regular old car versus some beasty sports machine, I'd rather have the amazing education (human capital) than the expensive, albeit attractive, hunk of metal.

fine, ill be the guy who says to go to mcw. are these all loans we're talking about? why the hell would you spend 130k extra on 4 years when, if you saved that money, you could put it toward a place in SF and live there the rest of your life if you wanted to?

and because i feel pictures teach best, here is another illustration of the difference in these two sums:

Ha, you jest, because that car is $380,000. Maybe you meant to pick the Gallardo or a used 360 Modena.

Well, I go to MCW, and if I were in your shoes, assuming you liked what you saw about UCSF, I'd go to UCSF. Definitely got better name recognition, and most people aren't a big fan of snow.

For some reason this picture convinces me to pick the better, more expensive school. If the difference boils down to me driving a regular old car versus some beasty sports machine, I'd rather have the amazing education (human capital) than the expensive, albeit attractive, hunk of metal.
Haha, not me. I'd take the Murc instead. You only live once, and I'll take the Murcielago, and you can have your Mazda. And honestly, unless you're going into academic medicine, what more is your education going to have if you go to UCSF? They don't dumb it down here at MCW, trust me.

This might make your decision a little easier: aren't you considered a resident of CA after the first year (meaning that you'll be paying $20K a year instead of $40K)? You should ask the financial aid office about this.

listen, you're going to get the same education no matter where you go. Going to one school over another will never make you a better physician. You will still do the same residencies as those from "lower ranked" schools. Might UCSF be stronger in research? Of course, I think thats been stated millions of times, especially on here. Personally, I would pick MCW as well, however I grew up outside Milwaukee and really don't have much of interest in moving to SF. If research is really that important, than pick UCSF. If you're one of those people caught up in rankings and prestige then go to UCSF. However, if you just want a strong education and good clinical sites, at about 1/3 of the price then go to MCW.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn, i had a feeling i had overstepped my bounds a bit with that one. well you get the point, that kind of money can go a long way, even if not as far as that car.

and as for this 'human capital' jazz, give me a break. you get the same degree, same training at both schools. what this boils down to is whether the name on your diploma is worth an extra 130k. some people would put this toward a car, a house, early retirement, their kids' education (at ucsf would be the ultimate irony), whatever. if ucsf is what you really really want, go for it.

I'm on the waitlist at UCSF, and probably going to UCLA as a Cali resident, and the budgets for both schools are ~$190,000 for all four years ($45-$55K a year) . Yep - CA tuition is ~$25K (and rising), AND the living expenses are quite high.

yeah, for med school there really isn't much of a human capital difference among u.s. allo schools, thanks to strict training standards. it's not like many grad school programs.

This might make your decision a little easier: aren't you considered a resident of CA after the first year (meaning that you'll be paying $20K a year instead of $40K)? You should ask the financial aid office about this.

Very few schools work like that. Most require you to have residency for XX years before you can qualify for state tuition. People seem to make this mistake when choosing a school...

Very few schools work like that. Most require you to have residency for XX years before you can qualify for state tuition. People seem to make this mistake when choosing a school...

maybe, but it is something you can research ahead of time (i think the criteria are set by state legislatures). the suny schools in ny are up-front about allowing this.

By the way, I'd take the 70k a year unless there was something drawing me to the coast. I cannot live away from coast and I never will so I'd have to go closer to it and bite the extra 130k...

By the way, I'd take the 70k a year unless there was something drawing me to the coast. I cannot live away from coast and I never will so I'd have to go closer to it and bite the extra 130k...

what, the "coast" of lake michigan doesn't count?

yeah, me neither.

Haha, not me. I'd take the Murc instead. You only live once, and I'll take the Murcielago, and you can have your Mazda. And honestly, unless you're going into academic medicine, what more is your education going to have if you go to UCSF? They don't dumb it down here at MCW, trust me.

You're right, I am going into academic medicine, and the name/research strength of the school makes a big difference. Plus, the car's just a material possession...maybe it's just me, but that doesn't bring me any happiness.

You guys make it sound like there is no hope of research after MCW... lol

You guys make it sound like there is no hope of research after MCW... lol

:) Sorry, definitely didn't make it seem that way. I'm sure MCW is a quality school, and that fine researchers come out of it. It's just that some schools have more going on (more diversity of research interests, more renowned PIs, more funding for projects, more funding for med students to become involved w/ research, etc etc) that makes it easier to get into research if you wanted to, especially in a field you might have some special interest in.

and btw, if you are going into academics i think money should be an even bigger factor. pretty tough to pay off a 200k loan when you are pullin 90k as an assistant prof.

and btw, if you are going into academics i think money should be an even bigger factor. pretty tough to pay off a 200k loan when you are pullin 90k as an assistant prof.

:) You'll still have loans coming out of MCW to pay off. So the number to consider is 130K, not 200K.

Another thing to consider is that there are some loan repayment programs for people entering academic medicine to help pay off your debt.

BTW, who is that in your icon? business in the front, party in the back

ah i didnt know about the loan repayment. glad to know the suits recognized that problem.

and i have never met my icon, or maybe i did without knowing it many years ago...

if you would be happier at UCSF, go to ucsf

Ha, you jest, because that car is $380,000. Maybe you meant to pick the Gallardo or a used 360 Modena.

Well, I go to MCW, and if I were in your shoes, assuming you liked what you saw about UCSF, I'd go to UCSF. Definitely got better name recognition, and most people aren't a big fan of snow.

UCSF does have greater name recognition for academic medicine/research. However, amongst the general public not on the West Coast, Princeton Medical School is far more prestigious, while UCSF is a community college in San Francisco.

UCSF. Def worth the extra $$ IMHO.

shouldn't there be a white tiger in this picture?? and shouldn't it be hanging on my wall, circa 1989, beside a poster of Slater, Zack, Kelly, Screech, Lisa and Jessie??

UCSF. the bay has to be one of the top 5 places to live in the entire world, in my humble opinion. top 5 school. and you'll get a really kick ass tan (but then again, that goes along with the whole white lamborghini thing...).

UCSF does have greater name recognition for academic medicine/research. However, amongst the general public not on the West Coast, Princeton Medical School is far more prestigious, while UCSF is a community college in San Francisco.

princeton was awesome when i visited. great facilities, excellent faculty. and i think my cousin finished his associates at UCSF just last year. tough choice!

You must not be familiar with the Palo Alto or San Fran area. 130k is a drop in the bucket, even if invested over the four years of medical school.

Where the heck did you get 200k from. Of course that is the MAX they will let you take out. However, tuition is 22k a year x 4 years is 88k. Then you can easily live in SF with sharing an apt for 1100 a month (including food etc) x 48 months = 52800. This is approx 140,000 in debt for med school, not 200k. And for the differnce betwen those schools I would choose UCSF hands down... Which I am :)

:laugh: sick burn!

You're right, I am going into academic medicine, and the name/research strength of the school makes a big difference. Plus, the car's just a material possession...maybe it's just me, but that doesn't bring me any happiness.
The sound and acceleration are what would bring me happiness. :D

shouldn't there be a white tiger in this picture?? and shouldn't it be hanging on my wall, circa 1989, beside a poster of Slater, Zack, Kelly, Screech, Lisa and Jessie??
No, offense, but you suck at cars. That's not a Countach, or even a Diablo, it's Murcielago, maybe even an LP640, which is 1-4 years old, max.

Where the heck did you get 200k from. Of course that is the MAX they will let you take out. However, tuition is 22k a year x 4 years is 88k. Then you can easily live in SF with sharing an apt for 1100 a month (including food etc) x 48 months = 52800. This is approx 140,000 in debt for med school, not 200k. And for the differnce betwen those schools I would choose UCSF hands down... Which I am :)
Actually, the four year budget is $188K at UCSF for an in state student. Not sure what the extra hit would be for out of state.

I think UCSF would be worth it, but I'm biased. I wouldn't pay an extra $130K for better name recognition though. The OP should probably take MCW unless he's in love with UCSF. That said, it's very very easy to be in love with UCSF. One of the best schools out there, imho.

UCSF. the bay has to be one of the top 5 places to live in the entire world, in my humble opinion. top 5 school. and you'll get a really kick ass tan (but then again, that goes along with the whole white lamborghini thing...).

Tan? SF is the fog city. Let's not get carried away here.

i checked with ucla's registrar and yes, you can get residency after a year. so maybe it's like that for ucsf also.

i'm wondering how you are getting MCW to only charge you $70,000 for 4 years....

i'd love to know how that works

tough decision. I would go with mcw for fin aid reasons. 70k of loans is sooo cheap. And if you ask a doctor about what they would do. They would probably tell you to take the money unless you plan on doing academia. For clinical medicine, MCW is a very respectable school.

princeton has a med school??

nice try, ucsf hands down

You obviously like both schools; otherwise, this wouldn't be such a tough decision. What do you want to do in the future? If it's academic medicine, go UCSF. If it's primary care, go MCW. If it's a specialty, go with whichever school is stronger in that field.

You obviously like both schools; otherwise, this wouldn't be such a tough decision. What do you want to do in the future? If it's academic medicine, go UCSF. If it's primary care, go MCW. If it's a specialty, go with whichever school is stronger in that field.

UCSF is also stronger in primary care.:p

I don't really know what I want to go into, so should I cover all of my bases by going to UCSF? I don't want to get caught up in the rankings, but will I have more doors open to me if I go to UCSF vs. MCW? I have family in Wisconsin but don't like the winter! Would I pay $130,000 to not have the winter...maybe!